• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Converting famous Science Fiction to Traveller

Some of the fastest hyperdrives in Stargate are capable of traveling, when having the power source for it, 3 million lightyears in 4 days. Around 273,750,000c.

Goa'uld hyperdrives in Season 4, IIRC, were capable of traveling 4 million lightyears in 125 years (an estimation by a character) so they would have a speed around 32,000c [around 87.67 ly/day] And the Goa'uld are sort of the midrange baseline most people use for tech.

For comparison, the highest speed current Imperial jump drives can reach is slightly over 1000c (specifically around 1019c).

So yeah, definitely faster than Traveller jump drives. :D
Only before T5 when you get Hop, Leap, and Bound drives... :D

Or if you can figure out how to hook up a Heironymous Nexus to two Jump-6 drives (use drop tanks if you don't have antimatter power available), you can do a Jump-46,656. That's about 7,910,000c. Rules as written, though, you'd need a Model/46656 computer to control it...

It's been a while since I was last on this website...

Back in 2017, I detailed a thread on how I set up a Traveller: SGC campaign. I'll try to find it and link to it from here.

Basically, it came down to a lot of compromises:
• FTL is limited to the stargates and 3I jump drives.
• Stargates and SGC Ancients pre-dated the Traveller Ancients.
• PC tech level was whatever the referee deemed necessary (7 or 8 IMTU).
• Starting point (IMTU) was on 494-908 (SPIN 0625) in the early 1100s.
▮ o The stargate was uncovered by an exceptionally intense bombing run.
• Characters were active-duty 3I/Daryen military, with a Scout/Scientist on the team.
• Adventures followed the SGC formulae under Traveller rules
▮ o CT at first, evolving into MgT later.
• Earth / Terra / Tau'ri was designated as PXK-207.
▮ o 'P' = Imperium; 'X' = Solomani Rim Sector; 'K' = Sol Subsector; 807 = System (hex).
▮ o The players were surprised by the society they found on Earth in 5625 AD.

We had fun, and there has been interest in reviving it on Zoom or Skype.

I find it's much easier to do XYZ Sci-Fi in the vein of Traveller, rather than actually playing the setting outright.

For example, it's easy to play a Trek-like Campaign in Traveller, with beam bays and a few-thousand-ton starship with a warp drive, but it wouldn't have shields (just armor), and it wouldn't have teleporters (just shuttles), and maybe you'd have a more streamlined crew - but at its core you can still imagine the bridge, the drama, the combat and exploration just like in Star Trek, perhaps even a little bit more 'Hornblower in Space' than it was itself.

Likewise you can easily do Star Wars, throwing out most of the fuel rules but continuing the general adventuring in space context.

Likewise you can easily do Star Wars, throwing out most of the fuel rules but continuing the general adventuring in space context.

Funny, mind, my SW experience is simply the movies (pretty much), I have little to no exposure to the expanded SW universe.

But, SW, to me, is the epitome of the "small ship" universe. Every one and their brother seems to have access to a small 1 or 2 seater craft that travel through hyperspace.

And hyperspace travel clearly takes some time (demonstrated in the #4), but it's not "weeks and weeks" of travel. People casually jump about the galaxy using Hyperspace travel.

It's also (despite the experiences of Han Solo et al) an apparently robust technology, readily accessible to technical people. The idea that the Millenium Falcon can sit rusting away for an extended period, and light up and fly away at a moments notice suggests a long shelf life of the components, vs something that requires heavy, continual maintenance.

Lukes X-Wing obviously did quite well with perhaps little more than a rinse after being submerged in a swamp to no real ill effect.

Obviously there are HUGE ships, but mostly we see them on a personal scale used like cars and pickup trucks.

Also, of course, SW has FTL communications, demonstrated (I think) in #1 when the trade representative were talking to Palpatine via HoloFaceTime(tm).

an apparently robust technology, readily accessible to technical people.

Star Wars gives the appearance of a technologically stable setting, ridiculous feats of engineering aside. Jet engines are old tech the same way steam engines are to us; artificial gravity is so reliable that we never see it fail, and hyperdrive control components are subject to percussive maintenance.

Star Wars is interesting for the fact it apparently, at least in the Legends version (I've no idea for Canon), was sort of stuck in a technological plateau. You weren't really seeing tech revolutions but more like advancements on existing tech for several millennia.

So like blasters became more compact, more powerful, etc but a blaster from say 4000 years ago in KOTOR wouldn't look out of place compared to a blaster during the Yuuzhan Vong War which took place 30 years ANH (After New Hope aka Episode IV) in Legends.

Speaking of science fiction, a user on another forum I'm on once talked about story ideas he had for his homebrew Traveller campaign, which involved a sort of massive crossover setting (as in various aliens from various scifi were in it).It was to be called Void Transit

It essentially was an attempt to do a mix of Star Trek, 2300 AD, Mass Effect, and Halo except under Traveller rules, such as utilizing Traveller's (Cepheus Engine's) warp drive rules.

In his setting's history, Earth had gone through a Twilight 2000-style limited nuclear war, had rebuilt, and was contacted by the United Federation of Planets (the 2 founding members of which were the Asari & Vulcans) in 2148. Current year was 2183.
With that in mind, we cut to Local Space. Traveller is a major inspiration for Void Transit, though Star Trek/Mass Effect are more of the political basis - the reason is this. Half the galaxy is undiscovered country, and Earth is just one small speck in a wild and huge universe. Warp travel and technology follow Traveller's rules - the fastest ships are going 6 parsecs a week on average, or just over a thousand lightyears a year. Most are 100-500 displacement ton free traders and scouts, rolling at a parsec a week max.

The majority of the story, if it ever gets written, would be set in the United Federation of Planets: a massive state comprising the member planets (including, most notably, Vulcan, Earth, Thessia, Hiigara, Trill, and the Kobolite Worlds). Its population is primarily Humanform, with generalized differences coming from specialized biological experiments by the Isu (including the Trill Symbionts and Gou'ald Parasites). The core has everything from full-on transhuman body swapping to intensive anagathic regimens, but a mixture of political gridlock and apathy has prevented significant progress as a society. In the outer regions, many colonists seek to avoid the meshed-out, panopticon lifestyle and subsist instead on more difficult and exotic worlds.

At the bleeding edge, the UFP Starfleet's Scout Service undergoes long-term missions of years in length, some of the most grueling trips in humanform history. Out there, anything can happen: good or bad. Help is months away.
What made Earth humans (aka "Solars" in-universe) so useful in this setting was something called Quantomics:
Quantomics is essentially a force of technical luck, of conception and theorization, all about being in sync with objects on a Quantum Level. Human beings, specifically those from Earth, are some of the most powerful Quantomics in existence and it has allowed virtually unchecked technical progression thanks to sheer 'luck' expressing itself on the macro level. Other species across the galaxy have less raw quantomic potential, but more control of it as a sense rather than a general field of success. Think similar to the 'WAAAGH!' of the 40k Orks.

Think about it: every day, we rely on tens of thousands of parts working perfectly to ensure our safety. Traffic lights, jet turbines, car engines, steel suspensions, etc. - Computers are literally just racks of wires that could be shorted out by static electricity if you made a mistake. That is Quantomics, and especially strong human Quantomics become the likes of Einstein and Da Vinci, able to comprehend new ideas at a level the average man can't fathom, often decades ahead of their time and science.
Humans are the most powerful Quantomics, but it's not a matter of technological innovation so much as technological jury-rigging. Much of what the world accomplished in the 20th century timeframe (from horse drawn carriages and the wright flyer) would have taken considerably longer for any other race. Many of them had secondary gains - the Vulcans and Asari had their neuronics-fueled memory transfer and are more communal, not to mention the physical aspects of Neuronics that allowed longer lifespans for more effective scientists. As such, technology hasn't really increased by leaps and bounds - that said, more dangerous technologies like matter point-to-point transport and high-pressure survival gear have seen a resurgence. Solar-built and Solar-maintained designs are usually longer lasting and have fewer points of failure, though on a level not easily diagnosable by looking at it.
Antigravity was an invention of the Forerunners, and is in regular use aboard Air/Rafts as well as G-Carriers: however their safety records have been abysmal until the advent of Solars. Likewise, Matter Point-to-Point transit had a dismal safety record until Solars began to refine it and began using it to transport people. The controversy over death-cloning was resolved by way of Quantum Neuron Mapping: the same Quarks were found in both psyches.

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone has tried using Traveller to create a campaign directly set in any specific well known Science Fiction setting, and how well the campaign went.
I am thinking of something like, for example, 2001 a Space Odyssey as the background, or maybe Asimov's Foundation universe, or Alien, or many others.
I ask because I would imagine the big advantage of doing that would be the players would be immediately drawn into the setting, but the disadvantage might be that the players are TOO familiar, i.e. they have too much foreknowledge.
How did doing this compare to being in a more OTU, or home grown, type of campaign? More fun, less fun, about the same? Was it more work, less work, about the same? Etc.

I generally do the reverse, converting Traveller to other game systems.

A big issue to make sure you take care of is making sure Traveller's game mechanics can provide a reasonable approximation of the setting you are trying to use.

Examples:

Luke Skywalker somehow flies light years from Hoth to Dagobah in a single seat X-wing fighter without having to go to the bathroom or get up and move around. This would not work with Traveller's game system.

Star Wars ships have deflector shields, which don't exist in Traveller.

Star Trek has pistol-size phasers capable of disintegrating somebody, but Traveller doesn't.

You would have to invent these types of things and other setting-specific things out of whole cloth and somehow express them in Traveller rules while being careful to avoid creating game-breaking problems later on.

Aliens wouldn't be too hard to convert at all, because of the commonalities between Aliens and Traveller. Both of them have projectile weapons, low berths, body armor, spaceships have bathrooms, and other things. Some things would change, since Aliens ships travel much more slowly than Traveller ships (hence everyone travels in cold sleep), but with understanding players this won't be too big of a conceptual leap. With Fire, Fusion & Steel you could probably design some reasonable approximations of reaction mass powered Aliens ships, and air and ground vehicles. You could design Aliens androids with Traveller rules and then make custom stats for the aliens.

I'm doing a play by forum Aliens/Traveller crossover now, but it's a systemless cooperative story rather than a 'game', so these issues aren't important as long as I know how things affect each other.

Player foreknowledge has never been a problem all the times I've done something like this because even if I stick to the general plots of the established settings I'm using, players handle things differently. They've seen the movie or the show, and they want to do things their own way. We've played through Aliens, John Carpenter's The Thing, etc. Only plots that require a big surprise like "We're all living in a giant jar of Tang, man!" don't work, because they already know the big surprise.

The big advantage, like you said, is that the players want to play in that setting. They all want to wear a blue polyester shirt and say, "Illogical, Captain." They all want to be Colonial Marines nuking sites from orbit. They all want to be the best 18 year old whatever in the galaxy fighting the evil empire. The disadvantage is that you have to portray that setting with a rules system that isn't designed for it.

I would say it's more fun, because everyone is excited about a setting they're interested in.

It's definitely more work, because you have to create a bunch of custom weapons, equipment, and vehicles from the setting in Traveller rules. You would have to create your own space maps, NPC stats, everything. It's a lot of work, a lot.

I would say this: it's very rewarding, but give yourself plenty of time for all the prep work. If your current game or campaign will be reaching a good stopping place, see what your potential players think about it a couple of months out. If they're excited about it, do the prep work and do a good job, so all the things they expect from the setting will be ready for them. Have setting-relevant adventures ready for them, so you can really get them going in a series of fun, exciting, well prepared sessions. Then you will have time to keep doing conversion work as you have fun with the sessions over time.

I generally do the reverse, converting Traveller to other game systems.
Do you mean you use the Third Imperium setting with other game engines?

Luke Skywalker somehow flies light years from Hoth to Dagobah in a single seat X-wing fighter without having to go to the bathroom or get up and move around. This would not work with Traveller's game system.
Why not, going to the toilet is not something that comes up in most of my games.
Consider - the x-wing makes the journey at the speed of plot - how long is Luke actually in that ship? How often to you see Han take a leek in the Falcon for that matter? Can Luke's flight suit deal with body waste?

Star Wars ships have deflector shields, which don't exist in Traveller.
So make them up using the humble sandcaster for inspiration. Every level of deflector subtracts 1 from your chance to be hit, with some sort of shield degradation built in such as hte shield is reduced by 1 for each hit.

Star Trek has pistol-size phasers capable of disintegrating somebody, but Traveller doesn't.
Actually it does, they are Ancient era weapons but they do exist, also disintegrator technology is a thing at high TLs so you just make up the stats for the phaser.
Three settings - stun (roll 3d vs End or unconscious) - heat (4d6 damage as per a laser carbine) - disintegrate

You would have to invent these types of things and other setting-specific things out of whole cloth and somehow express them in Traveller rules while being careful to avoid creating game-breaking problems later on.
Not a problem, see above. Then ther is all the stuff I have invented for my Traveller Culture setting - hyperdrives, grid cannon, displacer fields, warp drives etc.

Aliens wouldn't be too hard to convert at all
See a JTAS for the Alien stats...

The disadvantage is that you have to portray that setting with a rules system that isn't designed for it.
But is very easily adapted to cover it.

I would say it's more fun, because everyone is excited about a setting they're interested in.
I agree, it is often much easier to get a group to play in a setting with the Traveller rules than it is to get them to play in the Third Imperium.

It's definitely more work, because you have to create a bunch of custom weapons, equipment, and vehicles from the setting in Traveller rules. You would have to create your own space maps, NPC stats, everything. It's a lot of work, a lot.
See above - it doesn't take all that long provided you are very familiar with the setting material you wish to emulate and the Traveller rules that can be adapted to it. For example I have adapted the drugs rules and some psionic powers to Culture level technology - rather than csll them drugs/psionics they become tech implants, special glands etc.

would say this: it's very rewarding, but give yourself plenty of time for all the prep work. If your current game or campaign will be reaching a good stopping place, see what your potential players think about it a couple of months out. If they're excited about it, do the prep work and do a good job, so all the things they expect from the setting will be ready for them. Have setting-relevant adventures ready for them, so you can really get them going in a series of fun, exciting, well prepared sessions. Then you will have time to keep doing conversion work as you have fun with the sessions over time.
This is great advice :)

Not a problem, see above. Then ther is all the stuff I have invented for my Traveller Culture setting - hyperdrives, grid cannon, displacer fields, warp drives etc.
Was the Culture, in your campaign, sort of a massive precursor type empire/nation?

Who were your players playing as?

The Culture is the major power in the galaxy - sort of since it doesn't really consider itself a true polity.

Player characters were initially 'volunteers' for special circumstance, coming from a wide variety of careers (usually at least three), backgrounds (one was a barbarian from a pre-Culture contact world) while another was a drone. we even had a ship avatar at one point - now they just play the ship.

We have moved to generating a whole host of characters and then the player picks the one they most want to play in this particular story...

I've had scenarios set on a pre-Contact world, an orbital, a GSV murder mystery (a GSV was murdered, find out who did it and why), a tongue in cheek planetary romance, all sorts of strangeness.

It may not be the best known example, but lately in my quest to create a campaign setting during one of the "false dawns" of the Long Night, I've found a lot of inspiration from a related pair of 1970s Saturday morning live-action kids' TV shows, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command. While a lot of the in-universe ideas don't translate well to Traveller, some of the basic ideas of the series have a lot of appeal, even if they require some serious messing with the game background. I have found a lot of inspiration on this forum, including discussions about the duration and nature of the Long Night, as well as references to using kids as characters in Traveller, which pointed me towards a couple of old Space Gamer articles about how to have precocious teenagers in one's game.

The two series were really separate, with different casts (except for a robot, Peepo), but the same setting, a large asteroid base called, alternately, Space Academy and Star Command (the introduction suggested that Star Command was a secret organization within Space Academy, but it makes more sense to me to have Star Command being the name of the military service that Space Academy graduates serve in after graduation.) Space Academy has more of an episodic feel, with episodes that are mostly self-contained. The main characters, led by Jonathan Pryce Lost in Space as Commander Gampu, are all young people, ranging from "tweens" to late teens (although a couple of the actors were in their early twenties.) Because it's a kiddie show, there is a lot more emphasis on avoiding disaster and solving space mysteries through cooperation instead of violence. Often, the "villain" of the show ends up becoming friends with the characters by episode's end, resolving their differences in a "pro-social" manner, which as a central theme of a lot of Filmation kids' shows of the 1970s. I like this aspect too, as a potential alternative to the typical Traveller group's tendency to shoot their way out of any problem. A couple of the characters are psionic, which has potential game applications.

Jason of Star Command was released after Star Wars basically blew up the conventions of SF in the mid-seventies. They used the same asteroid base, and I think the interior sets of the Space Academy "Seeker" class ship were re-used as the Star Command "Starfire" class, more of a high-performance gunship/corvette, while the Seeker was more of a Scout Service style exploration vessel (albeit armed with pulse lasers.) The titular Jason was a pilot/scoundrel cut from the Han Solo mode, with a noble heart, although he had a tendency to buck authority--technically he wasn't a member of Star Command but seemed to be the central focus of their most important missions. Other cast included James Doohan as the series' first base commander, until he left the series to to ST:TOS, Susan O'Hanlon as Jason's foil Captain Nicole Davidoff, and the stereotypical gawky scientist type, Professor E.J. Parsifoot. The second season changed up the "good guy" cast, replacing Doohan with the blue-skinned, grumpy Commander Stone, and Tamara Dobson, best known as "Cleopatra Jones" of blaxploitation film fame, as Samantha, a tall, mysterious psychic with a turban (inspiration for the Zhodani?) that Jason rescues from a low berth on a doomed ship. Both seasons include the aforementioned annoying robot Peepo, and a tiny, far too useful wind-up toy/plot device called W1K1. The main series villain is Dragos, played with a very "Ming the Merciless" vibe by the magnificent Sid Haig, with his own asteroid craft, the Dragonship, and a flotilla of robot fighters (having robot fighters means the series could blow them up without killing anyone--it's still a kiddie show.) Instead of Space Academy's episodic Star Trek structure, Jason of Star Command was structured as a serial, with cliffhangers ending the episode in the first season. One idea I wouldn't be copying from the shows is their shortcut for space suits, a "life support unit" that clipped on a belt and allowed safe traversal of vacuum (sorry kids, you've gotta put on a spacesuit to leave the ship or Bad Things happen!)

While a lot of the setting may seem a little silly and lightweight for the typically grim and violent Traveller universe, I think it inspired my early Traveller experiences, having watched the shows religiously as a kid, and getting into Traveller about five years later circa 1982, carried a lot of the Star Command metaphors into my early Traveller universe. In the Traveller universe I'm working on, the setting is a subsector-sized cluster of worlds on the fringe of the old Imperium, colonized by refugees fleeing the collapse of the Rule of Man and regressed from TL 11 Second Imperium tech levels to pre-jump TL 8-9. Because this subsector was located in between a small polity in the adjacent subsector on one side, and a hostile species of Humaniti with their own, expansionist empire on the other, the colonists built three large "Star Command" bases at the edge of their space, serving as a bulwark against hostile expansion. These TL-11 relics are 200 kton buffered planetoids with turret and bay weaponry, and generally not jump capable (I'm still toying with whether to include jump drives); the universe is mostly "small-ship" except for the Star Command bases, which each have a Space Academy section to train new crew. The war against the hostile empire was catastrophic for these young colony worlds, decimating their population and resources, while also breaking the back of the invaders, resulting on both space polities sinking to pre-Jump tech levels.

As to the function of Space Academy and Star Command: The worlds of this subsector are mostly aligned along a subsector sized Jump-1 main, and about 50 years ago, the worlds with Star Command bases were able to get the old systems working after a century of disuse, and started producing Jump-1 drives again--the venerable "Seeker" ships, basically a variant on the old Imperial scout ships, intended for exploration and communication. The past few decades involved re-consolidation of bits of the old federation, and because most of the worlds involved were happy to regain interstellar capability and trade, most of this period was one of productive rediscovery. In order to train a new generation of space crews, the Space Academies opened their airlocks to bright young people throughout the subsector, teaching not only technical skills but morality and cooperation, under the guidance of an old and somewhat mysterious Vilani admiral, Isaac Gampu, who was reputedly old enough to remember the old Second Imperium and the ages of war (the Gampu of the show was reputed to be almost 300 years old; theoretically a long-lived Vilani with a supply of naturally obtained anagathics might substitute.) This might be the best place to introduce the PCs as teenagers, with a few Level-0 skills and perhaps one or two actual skill levels, representing the gifted and talented young people of Space Academy--I'm still debating about the psionics part. This part of the campaign will involve exploration, cooperation, puzzle solving and interpersonal conflict--and (comparatively) rapid gains in skill levels for the PCs who are students (some might be instructors or other Space Academy personnel assigned to teach their young charges the ways of space.)

The Jason of Star Command part introduces some new elements--Prof. EJ Parsifoot rediscovers the Jump-2 drive, installed in the "Starfire" class gunboat, the fastest ship this side of Beta 2. The Starfire is larger (200 tons compared to the Seeker's 100 tons), faster, and includes a "Star Pod," a 10-ton unstreamlined ship's boat/escape pod. Jason's status as a civilian outside of Star Command implies positions for PCs outside the military command structure, perhaps as auxiliaries, or just that Star Command recruiting isn't doing so hot these days. This Jump-2 ship allows more communication outside the subsector main, helping to consolidate Star Command into a larger polity--but on the other side of the Jump-2 rift, a new emperor named Dragos is working on a Jump-2 drive of his own, and a new superweapon of his own that he can use to reclaim his empire's glory days and destroy Star Command, who shamed his people in a battle that took place in his great-grandfather's days, once and for all!

So obviously my campaign setting diverges a lot from the show, but uses it for inspiration and a slightly different sort of Traveller campaign universe; no Third Imperium, no tech higher than TL-11, and most travel limited to about half a sector (incidentally, my plan is to use one of the old Judges Guild non-canon sectors as the game setting.) Gauss and plasma weaponry are not yet miniaturized enough for personal use, and most ships are "small-ship" aside from large, exceptionally rare base ships. The game's metaphors take some items from "collapse" settings, old space opera, and my generation's Saturday morning live-action TV. I'm using MgT2 to design the Seeker, Starfire, Star Pod and other Star Command ships, as well as the base itself, along with Dragos' "Dragonship" asteroid vessel and semi-autonomous robot fighters. I may even use another artifact of the Filmation shows, the Ark II, to represent the classic Traveller wheeled ATV in the campaign. We'll see whether I can tolerate a "Peepo" style smart-aleck robot, or stick to a more TL-11 style robot with limited communication ability.

The seemingly perfect Traveller match from sci-fi would be Jerry Pournelle's Janissaries series.

You have a mercenary force (TL 6-7) 'hired' by an alien race to manufacture highly addictive and illegal drugs while at the same time having an agenda of their own to become what amounts to the Man Who Would Be King Kipling story, set on a low tech (TL 2 - 3) world.

The seemingly perfect Traveller match from sci-fi would be Jerry Pournelle's Janissaries series.

You have a mercenary force (TL 6-7) 'hired' by an alien race to manufacture highly addictive and illegal drugs while at the same time having an agenda of their own to become what amounts to the Man Who Would Be King Kipling story, set on a low tech (TL 2 - 3) world.

T20 would be good for this one because of its Dungeons & Dragons compatibility.

Though that compatibility is strictly mechanical. Actually mixing classes would be a challenge.
The world of Tran seems fairly medeaval, so you would get the medeaval equipment from the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook. I did buy some silver coins recently, and while looking stuff up, it appears that a 1 troy ounce silver coin is worth about $20 - $30 in today's currency, and a 1 ounce gold coin is worth around $2000, so I would reprise all the items in the players handbook in silver pieces (sp) instead of gold pieces (gp), and the value of the new gold piece is worth around 50 sp, which seems about right. About 500 gold pieces is worth about one million dollars, and probably less in Imperial credits I would imagine.

It we want to add some classes, I'd go with D&D Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue.

The world of Tran seems fairly medeaval, so you would get the medeaval equipment from the D&D 3.5 Player's Handbook. I did buy some silver coins recently, and while looking stuff up, it appears that a 1 troy ounce silver coin is worth about $20 - $30 in today's currency, and a 1 ounce gold coin is worth around $2000, so I would reprise all the items in the players handbook in silver pieces (sp) instead of gold pieces (gp), and the value of the new gold piece is worth around 50 sp, which seems about right. About 500 gold pieces is worth about one million dollars, and probably less in Imperial credits I would imagine.

It we want to add some classes, I'd go with D&D Barbarian, Fighter, and Rogue.

It's worth noting that the price list in D&D OE appears to be taken from a price lised in a historical text. I checked it out via ILL, and one of the handful of prior readers of that tome was one EGygax... in about 1972. Lake Geneva Public Library. Within a 10 page chunk is the contents of the price list of OE D&D... number for number... except that the shillings have been made into gold pieces. The relative value of the gold penny to the silver penny, in that era, due to strongly debased 12kt gold, valued about a shilling...

The silver shilling, then some 20 dwt, was also debased, to about 50 to the librum value.

So, there's good reason to leave it gold - but change it to 1/240th of a Troy Pound instead of the 1/50th of the pound-unspecified that EGG used and D&D carried forth.

Note that the roman denarius and 6th C british silver pennies are 1/240th of a troy pound of silver; later, the same silver was spread through more and more copper...

Back