• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT SS 3 discretionary burn question

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
Does anyone know why the discretionary burn table in Special Supplement 3, as revised in errata, bears no resemblance at all to the discretionary burn fuel weight equation? That's a pretty extreme difference.

Also, is errata inactive?

Does anyone know why the discretionary burn table in Special Supplement 3, as revised in errata, bears no resemblance at all to the discretionary burn fuel weight equation? That's a pretty extreme difference.
You need both the drive (casing) and fuel, calculated separately. The table gives the rounded mass and cost of both.

Example: 6G with 6 burns (6 G for 6 turns):
Casing: 10 + 6 = 16 kg.
Fuel: 0.4 × 6 × 6 = 14.4 kg.
Total: 16 + 14.4 = 30.4 kg.

Table says 30 kg. Seems OK?

The CT errata was a project of Don McKinney, who sadly passed away a few years ago. A version of the errata document is included in the Classic Traveller Orientation pack.

Unfortunately, this errata does not seem to be the most recent one. I've attached what I think is the newest one, compiled shortly before Don's passing, to this post.

Attachments

• ConsolidatedCTErrata_v12.pdf
    834.4 KB · Views: 13
The CT errata was a project of Don McKinney, who sadly passed away a few years ago. A version of the errata document is included in the Classic Traveller Orientation pack.

Unfortunately, this errata does not seem to be the most recent one. I've attached what I think is the newest one, compiled shortly before Don's passing, to this post.
Oooh been looking for this!

You need both the drive (casing) and fuel, calculated separately. The table gives the rounded mass and cost of both.

Example: 6G with 6 burns (6 G for 6 turns):
Casing: 10 + 6 = 16 kg.
Fuel: 0.4 × 6 × 6 = 14.4 kg.
Total: 16 + 14.4 = 30.4 kg.

Table says 30 kg. Seems OK?
Okay, that makes much more sense. Also explains why I was slightly off with the other tables.

There are plenty of newer items listed in the CT Errata thread. Start looking at the posts made starting at the end of 2015, which currently includes the last four pages of the thread.

Some things listed are:

-Corrections to the WOUNDING and Death section where Adventurer Two's statistics were incorrect.
-At least a couple corrections to Jamison's example.
-Corrections to character creation tables.

(Never quite got a handle on the hydro problem) :)

While we are on the topic, the thing that gets me is where are the rules for firing missiles at missiles?

Related firing at missiles in flight?

There are no rules for missiles firing at missiles. Although for my thoughts re:a new Book 5 combat system, I've pondered giving missiles that ability.

I'm not sure at what you mean by firing at missiles in flight. With a laser, and an anti-missile program, you can do that. Do you mean actively firing at a missile that is still far away, as opposed to be firing at missiles in your own range band?

While we are on the topic, the thing that gets me is where are the rules for firing missiles at missiles?

Related firing at missiles in flight?
In Book 5 combat I'd absolutely allow it - it would count the same as defending with beam weapons, and I'd consider adding that -1 for being at short range (making penetration easier). I'm not sure about defending with nukes, maybe use the Damper table - even then an equal number of equal quality attacking missiles will result in some leaking through, so anti-missile missile fire is a losing game.

There are no rules for missiles firing at missiles. Although for my thoughts re:a new Book 5 combat system, I've pondered giving missiles that ability.

I'm not sure at what you mean by firing at missiles in flight. With a laser, and an anti-missile program, you can do that. Do you mean actively firing at a missile that is still far away, as opposed to be firing at missiles in your own range band?
Short answer this is a SS#3 thread, meaning in Book5 Missiles are direct fire weapons, but not so in Book2, i.e. missiles are on the board until they hit.

In book2 Anti-Missile fire, the firing happens after the missile makes contact.

Back