• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Cultures

The first pilgrims who settled damn near died out because they adopted community ownership of the land and produce. It seemed like a good idea, consistent with Christian teaching and all. But they simply could not produce enough food to feed themselves that first winter.

Actually, Jamestown and the Plymouth Colonies were founded at the tail end of a 20 year drought that was one of the worst in recoded history for North America. This points out that no matter how good/bad your ideas/preparation, sometimes the game is rigged against you from the start.

Suprise, you arrive just in time to enjoy a period of solar flares that wipe your electronics back to TL 5. I bet they didn't see that coming.

Been rereading early SciFi books

It is very interesting to reread the Foundation books (all of them not just the trilogy.)

Makes me wonder about some of the creation of the Imperial system both as a game and in the game.

Out of game, I have to wonder which influenced whom first:
Foundation, Star Wars and Traveller. I wonder just how much each read of the other and developed the worlds from what they saw.

IMO, Foundation started, Traveller was developed, Star Wars was created, Foundation and Traveller grew, Star Wars became franchized and Traveller still lives (Foundation does as a great series of books)

In game, Foundation makes me wonder if some type of expansion type game would be fun? Either historically or far future (pun intended ;)

Just putting some more thoughts down. Been reading lots of books (rereading some) and getting lots of neat ideas of cultures and adventures (again).

Dave Chase

In game, Foundation makes me wonder if some type of expansion type game would be fun? Either historically or far future (pun intended ;)

IIRC, the Psionic Suppressions are canonically established as being a the first large-scale Imperial psychohistorical project -- one that was so unexpectedly and overly successful, it officially discouraged further attempts at, ahem, manipulation of Imperial society.

Isn't Strephon listed in Arrival Vengeance as having a few levels of Psychohistory skill? Presumably, the discipline is still studied somewhere in Imperial space...

Back