• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Darwin's World?

I mostly take my old CT and Mt modules and T4 and D20 adventure ideas and modules and other sci fi modules and adapt them to D20 and go with it .
Lots of times i just wing it with a vague idea of what will happen ,that way when the Pc's go in a totally unexpected direction i dont pull out all my hair just some .
And of course i get greatt ideas from the D20 forums. :cool:

I know in the Oone games Seven Generals campaign we got (from two modules) about 4 months worth of gaming. Some nights were slower than others, but there were very few nights were folks were bored.

You're right, to fill a game session with activity you need a substantial number of scenes or actions.

It has taken Oone Games over a year to come out with the third part of their Seven Generals campaign. Actually, it's more than that, it's almost a year OVER due. It takes a while to write good modules, and they don't sell as well as "source material". IMHO because source material is just "stuff" and folks buy it and then it ends up on the shelf rarely used. But they buy it THINKING they'll use the heck out of it, heheh.

Flykiller, you send me things to playtest with my group and I will make an honest effort to do so. There is, as I've said before, a limit of how much time I can put into prepping for a game (maybe 6 hours a week) so what I (and I assume I'm not the only GM in the world with similiar needs) is a module that is pretty close to "ready to run" after reading it over and becoming familiar with the plots and characters.

Anyone here ever play the Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay? That's another one that went over very well with every group I ever GM'd through it.

I think you could combine Traveller D20 with D20 Apocalypse very well in a New Era campaign.

The New Era follows the "Rise of the machines/nuclear war" campaign model in Apocalypse.

The PCs could be a team of scouts sent out into the Wilds to salvage old equipment/contact lost colonies. (Salvage rules and Rules for collapsing ruins in Apocalypse).

They could encounter locals with suped up wreck vehicles (Rules in A.) or convert some of the mutants/robots to Animal Encounters.

The atomic bomb/environment hazrads/virus rules (in A.)provides some good Events for Traveller encounters.

This is how I intend to combine them. (When the New Era sourcebook comes out).

Cheers

star rogue, I think you just gave me a reason to pick up D20 Apocalypse.

And welocme aboard

I considered getting D20 Apocalypse, but found that the quality of the work done by RPGObjects on Darwin's World to be first rate and they already have adventures and sourcebooks available for that product. Working well so far.

I think RickA has a point.

For my campaign, I just wanted a few good simple PA rules that I could add to my Traveller campaign, to cover adventuring on devastated planets.

D20 Apocalypse covered this for me very well.

I would think if you wanted to fully develop this theme or have detailed adventures on a world destroyed by Machines, DW may offer more.

Eg I think there is a DW supplement called Metal Gods covering Robots and Cyborgs but it has been awhile since I saw it. Someone may be able to confirm.

Cheers

Yes, there is a Metal Gods supplement. I don't have it, but the people I've heard from who have bought it say it's an outstanding resource.

I've not seen Apocalypse, but DWorld covered the Mad Max/Fallout CRPG style campaign setting so dead on that it IS the RPG for that style of post-Apocalypse.

RPGObjects just introduced a new set of resources for domed cities for some Logan's Run style game play as well.

The value of these resources to a T20 campaign is incredible.

Well, gang, the Spirit of Freedom is no longer free. Crash landed in Death Valley, buried under 15 meters of earth with a miles long trench behind it where it came in for a "landing".

The crew survived and dug out the back end of the ship where the cargo bay and vehicle bay open up. Offloaded the Wheeled ATV and explored a bit, enough to run into some tribals in the mountains west of Death Valley (I've GOT to get good "gaming maps" of Nevada and California).

Can you still get USGS maps for free? I know there was quite a long time when you could.

Unfortunately, they aren't the sort of map you could hand your players for reference, if that is what you mean by "good gaming maps".

What I'd like to find is a decent online "physical map" of the western U.S.A.

Took me a while to find out that what I was looking for was a "physical map". There are a variety of map styles (as you can imagine) and the physical map would seem to be best for what I'm doing.

If you saw one, you'd recognize the map style. But hours spent on Google hasn't turned up a good physical map of the western U.S. /sigh/

Originally posted by RickA:
I like spending my prep time on details.

I run my game every Saturday evening, starting at 6pm. From noon till then I spend preparing. I'm neck deep in Campaign Cartographer or Photoshop or just the .pdf of the module and making up good sheets for the NPC's to print out and have at hand during the game. Google Images for pics of anonymous humans I can throw in for an NPC picture for my group when they meet someone.

I've got an overhead projector in the gaming room so I'll be doing a sector map in Campaign Cartographer for display during the game on the overhead.

That sort of stuff takes time. Hours of it actually. Whether it's doing a Campaign Cartographer deckplan of the new ship the PC's got or photoshoping a picture of the pirate ship that's attacking this week, I spend hours preparing for each game.

If I wrote modules from scratch I could kiss all that detail and handout sort of thing away. I just don't have unlimited time these days. Not like back in the days when dinosaurs roamed the earth (lol Bill) when I was a care free high school kid. /shrug/

So, I support (financially) games that produce modules for their game systems. I think I now own every single T20 product that QLI has produced which is available in .pdf format.

I'd pay them $100 for a multi-session mega campaign that was detailed out enough to keep my group occupied for a few months.
Actually the Cosmographer add on for CC2 is wonderful for Traveller. You can take a Galactic SEC file and dump it into Cosmographer and run up your sector and subsector maps in seconds. Cosmographer has all the Traveller Symbols for Sector Mapping if you want to build your own sectors. (Now if the same sec files could be dumped right into Fractal terrains and kick out the world maps too.... ) But with Fractal Terrains you add the world size, hydrographics and a couple of other minor things and out kicks your world, a couple of flicks of the mouse and it is now in a nice neat Traveller Format. Punch in the location of the starport, cities and towns and you have a whole world to play with in minutes. (I wonder if City Designer will crank out random cities...
)

I figured I would mention that since you already have CC2.

I've got Cosmographer. I print out the sector maps on transparancy film and use my overhead projector for them.

I use Fractal Terrains too for generating world pictures. I save them as bmp's and pull 'em into Photoshop, give the world a bit of cloud cover or whatnot, drop in a space background and print it out on good photopaper and tack it up on the cork board in the game room. Kinda gives the players a sense that they are visiting a world instead of just another UDP.

Originally posted by xdiox:
I recently got d20 Modern Apocalypse. Not for the rules so much, as for setting material. Look it over, it has a few themes, i.e. post nuke, zombie, super-flu, alien invasion, etc. You just have to pick through the obvious 'monster and magic' type shyte, and keep what you can use. Also, if you like d20, well, that's what it is.
D20 Modern Apocalypse has some GREAT stuff, i agree. A lot of it is easy to convert for use in T20, like the rather detailed rules of converting existing cities and maps into destroyed cities (heh heh) and the dangers, damages, and skills needed, when traversing such places. It's pretty handy to have around, even in a standard T20 game (Bombed out cities are just RIPE for looting, but definately NOT the safest place to run around). I love pitting my players against trials like impassable terrain, rubble, searching for that priceless piece of whatever in the fallen building, and dodging the falling debris, rather than constantly facing them with monstrous aliens and sinister villains (Not that there' anything WRONG with those options, but anything gets old after enough time, and alternatives always spice things up.)

Back