• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Does anyone know how to make vehicles and robots for T20?

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:
If 1400vl are equal to 1 ton on a starship (which makes sense) why is it that the "Air/Raft" example hull in the Chassis section listed as being 4000vl, rather than 5600vl? This to me at least is sort of indicative of the 1000vl= 1 ton school, what?

omega.gif
It would but the newly eratta corrected version in the download is 6000vl which is close enough to 4T (about 4.3T, but note the design system specifies a 5.0T bay for it so this is a variation on the old 4.0T air-raft). I think there was a not too far past discussion about this too. There are still questions about the design, I just think it is not the old air-raft, but a new bigger model.

Morning your Lordship,

Interesting question which I will try to answer. If the robot brain is built-in to the vehicle and no allowances are made for additional crew, i.e. a living breathing sophont, to operate the vehicle manually or remotely then the answer is probably no control systems. Check out the robot in the THB Chapter 13 errata. If the vehicle is going to be oprated by a robot that can enter/exit or get on/off the vehicle or has that living/breathing sophont, then the control system rules for manned or remote control systems applies.

Let me posit this one, Milords,

What sort of control system does a vehicle (an unmanned robot) with a robotic brain require? Are the mass and ep requirements of the brain used in this case as the control system? eh?

omega.gif

Hello again Baron,

One of the items that causes, at least in my view, confusion is the different terms and measures used to define the volume and mass of T20 equipment. Anyway, my guess is that like most of the other Traveller versions the design sequence is based on starship construction with the sequence for vehicles and computers being developed from those steps. Just like any vehicle you can have any size vehicle you want. There is a thread titled "How big is a vl?" that might be of interest, someone has brought together the units of measure from pp. 223 and 254 in what is hopefully an accurate reflection of the relationship between the units.

If 1400vl are equal to 1 ton on a starship (which makes sense) why is it that the "Air/Raft" example hull in the Chassis section listed as being 4000vl, rather than 5600vl? This to me at least is sort of indicative of the 1000vl= 1 ton school, what?

omega.gif

Morning far-trader,

No problem since my original post on the discharge rate/duration was about as clear as a disturbed mud puddle. ;)

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Evening far-trader,

True the discharge rate can be variable, my reason for asking was to clarify duration, since the battery is an emergency power source. With the grav generator, radio, and headlights operating how long will the battery last? Best guess is between 4 and 5 hours.
Ah, my befuddled mind missed that. You wanted a specific answer for that design. Yep looks like the design he has is powered with 1EP so the battery should be good for 5 hours operation, more than enough to get home at 400kph unless you're wayyyyy out there
You could probably even make orbit on most planets. (The rules for the air-raft are 1 hour per size digit, and this is a bit quicker.)

Anyway, sorry for the mistaken impression
</font>[/QUOTE]

OK, Ive done some workups of Vehicles using the 1400 per ton formula, and one thing is very noticable, the vehicles are cheaper overall than they were in CT, and have a crapload of cargo space left over... hopefully this workup will post right but:

SHDC Model 1 Pressurized Grav Limousine

Item Size (vl)Cost (Cr) Ep Note1 Note2
Streamlined Chassis
11200 11200 112av 11.2/kph
Control System
2240 5600
Armor 1725 18525 AR 15
Grav DT 160 1840000 40 357kph

Adv Fusion Power
400 33000 +100
Fuel 800

Pressurized
560 14000 14
Climate Control
112 5600 1.12
8 Passenger Couches
1600 16000
2 Fixed Rear Mounts
12 60
2 Light MRL
120 1000 900m
Windows 17600 Vac P
Holovisual
2.5 20000 .21 1100m
Holodisplay
.1 500 .05
Light Intensifier
.2 500 .01 1100m
Radio, 2 Way
4 600 .16 5000km
10 Interior Lights
2 50 .1 1.5m
6 Exterior Lights
2.4 600 .66 30m
Cargo 5859.8

Cr. 1984835

56.31 ep output

This is a Presurized Limousine of State for my home planet's ruling family. Only three have been made.

Is there a standardized PDF Vehicle Data Block Sheet Available? if so, where?

Also: Are Windows supposed to be costly?
and does Pressurization take up a lot of EP and cash on purpose? is this a misprint? it makes sense over all, I just noticed that it takes a lot of power.

omega.gif

Your Excellency,

There is a PDF file of the standard designs, fully errata'ed, here at the CotI eLibrary.
Select the Standard Designs Errata PDF (about 650Kb)

I personaly have felt that the Air/Raft as in T20 has way too much cargo space (4000vl). This is more of a grav truck in my opinion.

See the 'Ships Locker' section for some grav vehicles from the fine folks from X-TEK. ;)

Hello far-trader,

I think I have an explanation for "but note the design system specifies a 5.0T bay for it so this is a variation on the old 4.0T air-raft." According to one post, that I know of, by Hunter Gordon the T20 design sequence is based on CT: Book 5: High Guard. I have 4 different printings of Book 5: (1) Copyright 1979 2nd printing p. 29, which specifies that hangar space/tonnage must equal vehicle tonnage. (2) Copyright 1980, 1st printing, p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships." (3) FFE CT Reprint, copyright 1980, 12th printing p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships.", and (4) copyright 1980, 15th printing p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships."

GURPS: Traveller 2e p. 154, has two different hangar requires: A spacedock is a general purpose hangar that requires 2 spacedock modules per 1 ton of vessel to be housed. The other is a custom designed vehicle bay that requires 1.05 x vehicle tonnage modules.

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran:

omega.gif
It would but the newly eratta corrected version in the download is 6000vl which is close enough to 4T (about 4.3T, but note the design system specifies a 5.0T bay for it so this is a variation on the old 4.0T air-raft). I think there was a not too far past discussion about this too. There are still questions about the design, I just think it is not the old air-raft, but a new bigger model. </font>[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Hello far-trader,

I think I have an explanation for "but note the design system specifies a 5.0T bay for it so this is a variation on the old 4.0T air-raft." According to one post, that I know of, by Hunter Gordon the T20 design sequence is based on CT: Book 5: High Guard. I have 4 different printings of Book 5: (1) Copyright 1979 2nd printing p. 29, which specifies that hangar space/tonnage must equal vehicle tonnage. (2) Copyright 1980, 1st printing, p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships." (3) FFE CT Reprint, copyright 1980, 12th printing p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships.", and (4) copyright 1980, 15th printing p. 32: "Small Craft :...they require tonnage equal to 130% of their mass within the hull of larger ships."

GURPS: Traveller 2e p. 154, has two different hangar requires: A spacedock is a general purpose hangar that requires 2 spacedock modules per 1 ton of vessel to be housed. The other is a custom designed vehicle bay that requires 1.05 x vehicle tonnage modules.

While it may or may not be germane to the discussion, I'm personally partial to the TNE/T4 definition of hangar/garage volume, in that the multiple depends on how much access you want to the vehicle when it isn't in use. This ranges from 1x the vehicle's volume for the "drive away" access only, to 4x for "take it apart in its own garage and have room left over" access...

Evening GypsyComet,

You have a point, and is another variation on the Traveller design system. In Tom Bont's GMV program you have an option of having a hangar bay for maintainance. As mentioned GT has a spacedock, general purpose, and a vehicle bay, custom fit, for small craft storage. The spacedock can be any size, however the vehicle bay fits a specific class of small craft, with only a minimum of excess space.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Thomas Rux:
Hello far-trader,

While it may or may not be germane to the discussion, I'm personally partial to the TNE/T4 definition of hangar/garage volume, in that the multiple depends on how much access you want to the vehicle when it isn't in use. This ranges from 1x the vehicle's volume for the "drive away" access only, to 4x for "take it apart in its own garage and have room left over" access... </font>[/QUOTE]

Back