• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Does your ship have a pet?

:)

You haven't met our cats.

Hoo boy.

and you've not met mine :) they are very therapeutic (and as I work from home, make sure I am not working too hard as they do love to sit on keyboards, then stare at me daring me to move them during their mandated rest periods).

I'll suggest one level further.

Use your pets as the subplot of the week, kind of like the main plot/subplot in most Star Trek episodes.

Furthermore, assign the subplot based on who is not busy, then assign the owner and another to play the part of the pet.

Hijinks ensue!

I'll suggest one level further.

Use your pets as the subplot of the week, kind of like the main plot/subplot in most Star Trek episodes.

Furthermore, assign the subplot based on who is not busy, then assign the owner and another to play the part of the pet.

Hijinks ensue!

If you want to really carry this to an extreme, watch some Phinneas & Ferb: each episode has the A & B plot, where the B plot is based on the platypus (aka Agent P) and the episodes end in the culmination of both plots coming to fruition. Some long running jokes as well as breaking the 4th wall often.

Back in the days of my old campaign, a scientist PC found a cute little critter on an alien world, and adopted it as a pet. The critter kind of stayed in the background, as the "Muffled Phosphor" went from one adventure to the next. Over time, it grew somewhat. Until it turned into a monster that went rampaging through the ship. Pistol in hand, Captain Sir John Lightning led the hunt, with Kirk-like enthusiasm. The scientist was not amused, demanding "You must stop this inhuman hunt!" To which the Captain replied "We're not hunting Inhumans!" Eventually, after it had accounted for several Redshirts, the monster was shot by the Captain and the Aslan Ambassador, and ejected out an airlock. (The Aslan suited up, and went EVA with a jetpack and blade, to take its head as a trophy!) When, later in the campaign, another PC brought aboard a black rescue cat named Sable, the housecat came under some scrutiny. Sable proved to be something of a Weirdness Magnet, and virtually indestructible, but no monster. Back in those days, of course, none of us had heard of Flerken, or Eagle's pedigree might have proven to be truly unusual!

I can attest to the therapeutic affect of a cat's purring. Our sone had a terrible time settling down and falling asleep when younger. Then one day a female cat very wisely followed my son and daughter home from the bus stop, and was promptly adopted. After being named Grace, she became my son's cat, and would snuggle up to him at night, purring away. My sone from then on had no problems settling down and getting to sleep.

A long time ago when I ran a game the group found a Beaker Monkey and ended up keeping it on the ship as a pet.

The Beaker came from a "The Bestiary" article in The Journal of the Travellers' Aid Society (#3) by Loren Wiseman. Nice art piece too.

Back