• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Equipment Price Exchange Rates

jstaley

SOC-5
For example, if an Automatic Snub Pistol* costs Cr600 at its intro Tech Level of 8, what would it cost at TL-7 or 12? Seems like it would be more expensive (by a factor of ?) for TL's before introduction and less expensive for TLs after introduction. I remember reading about exchange rates at one point but cannot recall where I read it. A point-out to the appropriate reference would be great. Thanks. *Weapon price is taken from Megatraveller Imperial Encyclopedia.

Striker Book 2 has integration with Traveller for prices adjusted by TL and starport type
1667245430456.png
(hopefully w/i fair use; if not please delete!)

So, for a TL-8 Body Pistol, bought on a TL-12 world, assuming A starports for each:

600 * .30 / .70 = 257Cr.

Is that the correct math?

I'm guessing that TL-15, Starport A is the "base" for all Imperial Credits?

If I have a Pilot, who gets, what, 6000Cr per month. And I'm a C-11 world, should they be paid 6000 * 1.0/.7 = 8571 LOCAL Credits?

Yep that is what it means. If you believe that within the Imperium there is more that one variety of Credit in circulation. Now outside of the Imperium exchange rate may be even more complicated ( as the GM dictates :) ).

The original and easier to use rule is in LBB:4
In general, prices will tend to drop by 5-15% at each tech level after the level of introduction
of an item, with examples of the item sold at the regular base price generally incorporating
improvements or representing deluxe models. Most items of a military nature can, on
worlds with a population level of 9+, be purchased in quantity at a discount. While discounts
vary from world to world, a general average provides discounts of 20%. 40% and 60% at volume.
Small arms and support weapons must be purchased in lots of 20 (a case) to receive the
20% discount, lots of 100 to receive the 40% discount and lots of 1000 to receive the 60%
discount. Vehicles must be purchased in lots of 10 to receive the 20% discount, lots of 50 to
receive the 40% discount, and lots of 100 to receive the 60% discount. Ammunition must be
purchased in lots of 500 units (clips, drums, cases, etc.) to receive the 20% discount, lots of
1000 units to receive the 40% discount, and lots of 10000 units to receive the 60% discount.

I forgot about LBB:4. I just used the heck out of Striker in college to create fighting vehicles so that is what came to mind. Never actually used them (other than a custom speeder for one of my characters, and the design ethos was based on the concept art of the spinner from Blade Runner).

And yes, the underlying reasoning does not really hold up, but like a lot of Traveller I think is not aimed at the macro-world as it would really disrupt trade. GURPS Far Trader has a brief paragraph about this and arbitrage and says that prices are going to be fairly uniform across nearby planets.

In the end, the models presented I think are "use at your own risk" and works for how you want YTU to go.

That Striker excerpt looks similar to the exchange rate table in JTAS 4. I wonder if it is the same. *Makes mental note to check later.

That Striker excerpt looks similar to the exchange rate table in JTAS 4. I wonder if it is the same. *Makes mental note to check later.
Quick answer it’s not, and very important to keep in mind their different uses.

Striker’s table is about acquiring gear and supporting merc orgs with a high low mix- more cost effective to tailor something like 85% of the gear to local TL and 15% to the higher wonder weapons that will be decisive. Or go high tech but need to win fast before the costs eat the profits.

TCS is about the economic value of taxes collected to support armed forces in general.

I would tend to use Striker for costing local buys of higher tech equipment/repair players use on planets, and TCS for currency exchange/trade.

Important IMO to maintain the TL value attached to the goods- TL6 steel should be cheaper to buy and sell then TL12 superdense steel.

If you are going this far into the weeds, important to distinguish whether goods are local in origin or just layover/warehoused interstellar in origin.

Simple off the top ruling- for specific cargo lots or individual equipment buys roll pop or under, it’s local TL. Roll starport or above for higher TL equipment/cargo lots- if neither roll succeeds, it’s not available. Rentals may merit another roll attempt, but should be something like a vehicle or equipment, weapons are not likely to be rented.

Striker Book 2 has integration with Traveller for prices adjusted by TL and starport type

(hopefully w/i fair use; if not please delete!)
Well within Marc's FUP.
That particular passage, and the similar one in TCS, are both on the non-canon list, last I heard.
That said, for one's own use, they're fine.

Quick answer it’s not, and very important to keep in mind their different uses.

Striker’s table is about acquiring gear and supporting merc orgs with a high low mix- more cost effective to tailor something like 85% of the gear to local TL and 15% to the higher wonder weapons that will be decisive. Or go high tech but need to win fast before the costs eat the profits.

TCS is about the economic value of taxes collected to support armed forces in general.
I was not referring to TCS but the JTAS 4 article Trade and Commerce, which has a similar looking exchange rate table. For the record they are similar but different.

I've always used Pocket Empires' method of estimating currency exchange rates based on the ratio of a worlds' RU's and fix the fiat currency, the CrImp, on the Capital world's values. The fiat currency is used for trade and is converted to local currency at each starport.

a equipment prices are in CrImps, iirc

of course, it has been awhile, so I'd have to dig out old notes, if I even still have them

I was not referring to TCS but the JTAS 4 article Trade and Commerce, which has a similar looking exchange rate table. For the record they are similar but different.
As I recall the JTAS article and one of them was very close. The TCS one of course gave a taxbase for RUlike purposes, along with a government peace/war effect, per capita and breakdown suggestions between ground and space navy.

Why would a planet need Imperium Credits?

To pay taxes to the local subsector duke, and import goods.

How do they acquire Imperium Credits?

Tourism and exports; retired Imperial citizens.

Membership of the Imperium should require the use of the Imperial Credit for all monies. It never made any sense that there would be a local credit valued against the Imperial Credit - it would be like US states having their own currencies and only using the dollar for federal level and international trade, or the EU allowing local currencies to operate alongside the euro..

Let's look at energy costs, based on CT HG and Striker, since energy cost is pretty important for resource extraction, manufacture, transport, recycling and disposal.
TL 7-8TL 9-12TL 13-14TL 15
Cost for 250MWMCr 12MCr 9MCr 6MCr 3
Now this is the cost of the fusion power station, that cost will be spread out over the lifetime of the power station, but it does show relative manufacturing potential - TL15 produced "TL7-8" goods should cost 25% of their TL 7-8 cost etc.

is the sim aspect of currency exchange at the player level providing entertainment value worth the effort?
Well, it's funny you mention that, as there was a post recently, I think in the Character Motivation thread, about the team striving to get to a High TL, low Law Level world so they could buy all the hi tech weapons they wanted.

And, while doing currency exchange may not be particularly fascinating on a day to day level, there are certainly scenarios where it's worth "doing the math" to try and "work the system".

Simply, if there's a way to save several MCr on a starship purchase by going to some "backwater", then it's likely worth the time.

If you use the chart directly, it suggests that TL 10 goods on a TL15 world are "half price". Well, a TL10 trader for 20MCr instead of 40MCr is worth the trip.

Back