• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Eurisko and TCS

3) Whatever offense/defence loadout was chosen, it is highly likely that optimising range each round (long/short) would maximise performance. Fleet agility is a major factor in being able to dictate this...
Superior numbers are just as effective...

4) I speculate - the 1982 fleet was optimised for combat at short range (massive amounts of lasers/energy weapons), the agility and ship count were maxed in order to maximise the chance of choosing optimum range each round. The "new exploit" was to self-destroy any damaged ships with reduced agility, to keep this advantage as the battle progressed.

P.S. The 1982 fleet was also probably lightly or negligibly armoured, based on the "offensive" versus "defensive comments --- maybe
The only way to hurt missile rocks are with missiles and (meson) spinals. Missiles can only inconvenience rocks, only meson spinals can kill them.
Energy weapons can't hurt rocks at all.
I would guess more meson spinals... (especially as 1982 would be TL13)

I am probably wrong - but I would love to see the 1982 fleet to see for sure!
Until we see the fleet we can only speculate.

AnotherDilbert - yes, that does make a lot of sense, so the more obvious composition would be lots of unarmoured vessels with meson spinals.

Perhaps I am trying too hard and therefore overlooking the obvious. However the reports from the 1982 tournament do seem to imply Lenat's second fleet looked weird enough to be ridiculed again - until it easily beat all comers (again). Given Eurisko's capability of finding odd corners of the search space I was wondering (hoping?) it might have done something a bit less expected:)

And we agree, without the fleet composition it's all just speculation anyway (although I'm finding it quite interesting!)

And there is still the unexplained importance of "fleet agility" that was so critical that Lenat/Eurisko developed the tactic of scuttling its own damaged vessels... I am trying to come up with possibilities, however weird, to explain that and hoping one of them might be correct.

If anyone else is interested, another question to ponder - what was the function of the "Bee", "Garter" and "Cisor" class in the 1981 fleet?? Lenat's paper implies that they were never utilised (to his disappointment) as no opposing fleet made it necessary.

AnotherDilbert - yes, that does make a lot of sense, so the more obvious composition would be lots of unarmoured vessels with meson spinals.
Unarmored craft are easily killed by missiles, but possibly lightly armoured. At least armour 6, to avoid crew hits.

Perhaps I am trying too hard and therefore overlooking the obvious. However the reports from the 1982 tournament do seem to imply Lenat's second fleet looked weird enough to be ridiculed again - until it easily beat all comers (again). Given Eurisko's capability of finding odd corners of the search space I was wondering (hoping?) it might have done something a bit less expected:)
Meson spinals would be the obvious choice so then it's probably not that...

If anyone else is interested, another question to ponder - what was the function of the "Bee", "Garter" and "Cisor" class in the 1981 fleet?? Lenat's paper implies that they were never utilised (to his disappointment) as no opposing fleet made it necessary.
As far as I can see:
The Bee is simply difficult to hit with Emergency Agility. If you can't hit it you can't win... Basically only PA spinals and missile bays can hit it.

The Cisor has a meson spinal, the only weapon that can crack a rock. Your Cisors can kill the enemy's Quellers (PA spinals). When the enemy has no more spinals or missile bay he can't hit your Bees anymore, hence he can't win...

The Queller has a PA spinal with the best to-hit in the game and an excellent way to kill small rocks, like the Wasp.

The Garter is a tanker. The squadron must be able of gas giant refuelling. Rocks are unstreamlined and can't refuel. It also carries Wasps and has missile bays, that can hit anything. The Eurisko has turrets, good against rocks, but not so very good against high agility targets.

Last edited:
Of course - I forgot about emergency agility :(

So best guess for now:

Garter - Tanker/Tender
Queller - "Lifeboat" killer
Cisor - "Lifeboat" killer (and/or probably "lifeboat killer" killer)
Eurisko - Main battle line
Bee - "Lifeboat" type 1
Wasp - "Lifeboat" type 2

I'm guessing the "Bee" is the original lifeboat, with the "Wasp" a development or alternative against a different offensive threat. Could be the other way around maybe...?

So best guess for now:

Garter - Tanker/Tender
Queller - "Lifeboat" killer
Cisor - "Lifeboat" killer (and/or probably "lifeboat killer" killer)
Eurisko - Main battle line
Bee - "Lifeboat" type 1
Wasp - "Lifeboat" type 2

I'm guessing the "Bee" is the original lifeboat, with the "Wasp" a development or alternative against a different offensive threat. Could be the other way around maybe...?
Basically agreed.

Something like the Wasp is the conventional battle line, the Eurisko is bigger because the limitation of pilots.

The Cisor is key. It represents the only way to actually kill an Eurisko. Two opposing lines of Euriskos can't kill each other, since they can repair all damage they do to each other.

Yeah, I think the only disagreement is about the battle line. I still say all Euriskos, partly for numbers (see below) but mostly because that's what Lenat said in his paper:)

1981 Fleet:

75 Eurisko
4 Garter
4 Cisor
3 Queller
7 Wasp
3 Bee

In all but the final round, no ships other than the Euriskos were in the main battle line.

The tactic for defeating another fleet of "missile rocks" (as deployed in the final round) was a head-to-head fight. If at any point Lenat's fleet was losing, he argued that he could hide behind the lifeboat, repair to 100%, and start again. Eventually luck would be on his side, he would start to draw ahead on the exchange ratio, and then press to conclusion.

As an aside, I find it interesting that an old-fashioned 100% human opponent had figured out the same swarm tactics, and therefore easily made it to the final round too...

Yeah, I think the only disagreement is about the battle line. I still say all Euriskos, partly for numbers (see below) but mostly because that's what Lenat said in his paper:)
Of course you start with only Euriskos in the battle-line. All other ships are vulnerable to kills by missile, or in the case of the Wasp PA spinals.

The other designs come into play when the missile-rocks are worn down into a steady state where you do as much damage as the enemy repairs.

Using the few Cisors and Quellers are a difficult tactical choice, since they can be killed by Fuel hits if exposed in the battle line in the wrong situation.

The tactic for defeating another fleet of "missile rocks" (as deployed in the final round) was a head-to-head fight. If at any point Lenat's fleet was losing, he argued that he could hide behind the lifeboat, repair to 100%, and start again. Eventually luck would be on his side, he would start to draw ahead on the exchange ratio, and then press to conclusion.
Presumably he had a better missil-rock line than the opponent?

Luck? With thousands of missile attack rolls you would presumably use statistical combat resolution. Even if you rolled thousands of rolls, you would likely have to wait quite some time for any noticeable luck.

Two lines of Euriskos would never defeat each other.

Apparently the opponent only had small missile batteries, hence could not hit the Bee, hence could not win.

Lenat still had his Cisors and Quellers, hence could kill the enemy ships, hence could win.

As an aside, I find it interesting that an old-fashioned 100% human opponent had figured out the same swarm tactics, and therefore easily made it to the final round too...
Only one? Rocks and agility are the two basic defensive options...

Regular battleships or cruisers lacking defences are obviously unviable.

Using the few Cisors and Quellers are a difficult tactical choice, since they can be killed by Fuel hits if exposed in the battle line in the wrong situation.
I was under the impression that we could not refuel ships during combat. Yet checking I can't find any hint of that in HG or TCS. The only thing I found is:
9. Terminal Step. Planetary bombardment, refuelling, revival of the frozen watch, and other non-battle operations are performed.

Can someone please set me straight: Can we refuel a ship after repairing regular Fuel hits?

AnotherDilbert - I see your points about fleet deployment, common defensive strategies, etc but isn't that all with 30 years hindsight? I was describing (because that's what interests me right now) the situation during the original tournaments as all this stuff was just starting to be worked out (I guess?)

Great discussion though, I have learned a lot - about the original questions, and other ideas too.

As to refuelling - I had never even noticed that entry in the sequence of play. Since the whole concept of "High Guard" was to defend refuelling ships it seems odd the rules don't explain properly. I'd also love to hear any clarification!

As to refuelling - I had never even noticed that entry in the sequence of play. Since the whole concept of "High Guard" was to defend refuelling ships it seems odd the rules don't explain properly. I'd also love to hear any clarification!

The refueling process is quite undefined.

How long does it take? How difficult is it to do? If you have a purification plant, can you only scoop as fast as it can purify? What proportion of the skimmed gas is byproduct? What about water? When is the fuel liquified, before or after purification?

Can I skim raw Gas Giant, liquify it while scooping, store that in my tanks, and start purification? That suggests I need to be able to divide my tanks up in to raw and refined. Can my purification plant feed my Power Plant directly? (I doubt it can feed a Jump drive directly.)

How do fuel shuttles help or complicate the procedure.

Folklore suggest the meme of SDB lurking in the upper atmosphere of gas giants waiting to surprise skimming ships. How does that work? How long can an SDB hold station in the upper atmosphere? How "stealthy" are they, how "deep" do they need to be?

What makes a skimming ship any more vulnerable than a ship in orbit to damage? I have visions of firefighting water tankers that skim lakes, and I can appreciate how they're half flying/half landing and how it would be a particularly bad time to take a missile hit, but they're very close to the ground flying at speed.

A skimming ship, I dunno. Do they need to go deep enough to where there's a potential turbulent affect? As their engines struggle to maintain orbit while countering the drag of the atmosphere. One bad shove on the stick finds the ship cartwheeling and burning up in the atmosphere?

So, yea, anyway. Clarification would be nice :).

AnotherDilbert - I see your points about fleet deployment, common defensive strategies, etc but isn't that all with 30 years hindsight? I was describing (because that's what interests me right now) the situation during the original tournaments as all this stuff was just starting to be worked out (I guess?)
Of course a great deal of hindsight is involved. But the concepts of battle riders and the superior armour of planetoids are discussed already in TCS.

If you read the combat system critically, and try to design and fight a few ships, you soon realise the importance of agility and armour. And meson spinals and nuke missiles.

Lacking guidance, I will have to conclude that it is not banned, but actually has an explicit place in the combat sequence to do it, so refuelling, even between ships, is allowed.

This makes Fuel-hits a lot less dangerous, and hence medium armour ships (like the Cisors and Quellers) a lot more survivable than I thought...

My 2cr. Apologies for the length, but I analysed Lenats fleet a few years back. I think I have a pretty good grasp of it. Call it a mis-spent youth.

In practice, most fleets gave up after the first turn. Who wouldn't if you just saw six of your 100,000 ton plus BBs scrubbed of weapons. Read on if you are curious and are interested in my analysis.

At the time of the tourney, the rules were still new. Given the prep time requires, days to create good fleets, weeks if you were really keen and the lack of live opponents except at tournaments like this, the numbers of attendees that will have played more than a couple of games will have been minimal. This is reflected in Lenat's observations of fleets built using preconceived, flawed ideas. A couple more games and some number crunching would have seen more competitive fleets attend. Lenat still would have won and did the following year, but there would have been more of a challenge.

FWIW I believe his AI was a scam. One that gained him a lot of US govt defense money. I believe he had a combat simulator that was capable of fighting fleet combo's to the death. In the day this would have been a heck of an achievement, but it is far short of an AI. Basically using his simulator, he had played hundreds, maybe thousands of games before turning up, versus everyone else's handful of games, if they were lucky.

I speculate that he also would have had access to the university wargames club. University wargames clubs in the 70's and 80's were very strong. This was the hey-day of strategic level board war games and where MM and co got their start and passion for the industry. Wargamers would have been all over this Euresko project like a hot rash. Using their help would have allowed Lenat to 'truthfully' say he barely knew the rules (a claim he made at the time).

Lenat's fleet essentially uses missile volleys to scrub weapons from the opposition. This works well against spinal mount armed ships which only get one turn firing at full strength, on turn two plus and they are far less of a threat.

The Eurisko ships are essentially the only front line ships. The only flaw is that they cannot destroy ships, for that you need spinal weapons to destroy or immobilise the opposition, plus boarding parties (the fleet caries over 3000 marines). The Lenat fleet will only deploy its spinals in a safe environment, typically during a breakthrough. This way the mesons are always at full effect and will target large ships of size Q+. Similar with the PA spinals which will look to take out ship less than size Q with the extra criticals gained by the spinal size being greater than the ship size.

The risk of Lenats fleet is that the opponent fields the paper to his rock. In this case fast ships nearly unhittable by factor 3 missiles. Fortunately there will not be many of these and the Euriskos can absorb a lot of damage. Joining the Euriskos will be Garter and Wasp class with 34 #9 missile bays, using emergency agility 6 to minimise return damage.

The Wasp class has a +1 size modifier, giving it a +7 defensive bonus (including agility) making it un-hitable by most weapon systems including Mesons after their first turn in combat when they will drop from #D to requiring double sixs to hit at long range followed by 9+ on two dice to penetrate the configuration. No meson shields, but not a lot of need either.

The Garter class only get the +6 defensive bonus (agility) meaning they only get hit by mesons after the first turn on 11+, configuration is penetrated on 8+.

Basically the Wasp and Garter class will target small fast ships, like fighters with their +8 defensive modifiers. Most opponents will make the mistake of targeting Eurisko class cruisers, slow, fat, rocks that are easy to hit. The longer this goes on, the better it gets for the Lenat fleet.

Missile #9 x 34 will hit fast fighters on 10+, meaning 5 or 6 fighters dead per turn (9 criticals). This might take a while, but in the 1981 tournament only 200 pilots were allowed.

Against fast ships over 2000 ton in size (+6 defensive bonus), each of the 75 Euriskos are firing 29 #3 missile batteries taking up 58 turrets. Note that the Euriskos are not maxed out for weapons, they only use 61 turrets of 111 turrets possible.

75 x 29 = 2175 missile batteries, hitting on 11+, that is 181 hits (less defensive fire) against the fastest, hardest to hit ships. About a third to a half of these will result in weapon hits. Recall that fast ships are typically not well armored ships. Forget nuclear weapons unless the other side failed to get dampers. And of course after turn one there will be somewhat less than 2175 #3 missile turrets left.

Turn those 2175 batteries on an agility 2 battleship of 100,000 tons plus and they score (no defensive modifier, hitting on 5+) 1812 hits, less defensive fire. Enough to scrub maybe 6 battleships of weapons to the point of OMG. Say 300 hits per BB and a third are weapon hits, say 100. Of those, assuming 7 weapon types until they run out, that is each weapon type losing 14 factors or batteries. No more meson spinal mount.

Those six BBs were basically one shot wonders. In return, the six meson #D in turn one, would hit on 6+ (2 defensive bonus) and penetrate on 9+ achieving (6 x 0.7222 * 0.2777) 1.2 hits, lets be generous and call it 2 hits. With those two hits, you need to basically roll 5+ to kill the ship. Most other results are not nice but survivable. Lets be really generous and assume two 5+ results, mission killing two Euriskos. There are 73 left. Of course the other weapons on the BBs will do damage, but the 'main' weapon is gone. The battle is going to the slugger, not to precision meson targeting.

What about the Bee, the 99 ton so-called lifeboat that sits between the two fleets while Lenat's fleet repairs. On the surface it is not unhittable, even though it has a +8 defensive bonus (agility 6, size bonus 2). However at the point it is needed, both sides are expected to have taken significant damage, making the odds of hitting it very low. Non-the less there are three of them. If the other side gets really lucky, it is vanishingly unlikely they will get x3 lucky.

So, the basic plan is weapon scrubbing. The slower the opposition, the faster it happens. For fast fleets, chuck your #9 missiles forward as well and target them on hard to hit fighters. In all cases, wait till they practically cannot return fire (a safe environment) then use your meson and PA ships to try to destroy ships.

Sorry about the long read, the Lenat fleet though is interesting. If you made it this far I will assume you think so as well. It isn't anywhere near as games lawyery as people assume, it is however well designed. I believe the main (only?) rule enforced for the following year was no jump tanks.

On the subject of destroying ships in 1982. First the why. The fleet with the fastest ships gets an initiative bonus. Abandon your crippled ships and hit the self destruct on the way out and you may regain this bonus. Second, the how. Most of the gamers there would have been roleplayers. In roleplaying hitting the self destruct button is always a viable tactic to screw over the 'bad guy', the consensus on the day would have been 'odd, but ok'. The last point is that keeping your ships only matters in a campaign, otherwise why bother. I doubt the edge gained was critical, more an interesting quirk he was allowed to do and subsequently highlighted in interviews. A bit like he never needed his lifeboats in 1981, but it was an interesting quirk he could exploit.

Damn, did it again. I promise I'll stop... Cheers.

You can't make these games too complicated, otherwise neither the players nor the referees can figure how things work.

A better variant might have been a resources allocation, though that's what Traveller ship design tends to be, that throws in enough variety that a single deck can't take on all comers.

The number of pilots could be left open, but each requires an investment in training and maintaining them.

My 2cr. Apologies for the length, but I analysed Lenats fleet a few years back. I think I have a pretty good grasp of it. Call it a mis-spent youth.

That's certainly more than 2Cr, but I think we're the ones that got the value-adding.

What difference do you think it would have made to have had a rule that considered the ability of a fleet to keep fighting campaign-style? Would his fleet have been attritted sufficiently to have been unable to perform as well later in a campaign, or was the fleet design just way to effective?

My 2cr. Apologies for the length, but I analysed Lenats fleet a few years back. I think I have a pretty good grasp of it.
No need to apologise, this isn't Twitter. While I have not spent as much time with this fleet I have come to similar, if perhaps not so refined, conclusions.

FWIW I believe his AI was a scam. One that gained him a lot of US govt defense money. I believe he had a combat simulator that was capable of fighting fleet combo's to the death.
I wouldn't like to speculate without facts, but I agree that he would have to have had a complete battle simulator that was smart enough to optimise what ships to have in the battle line each turn, and that that would have been an astonishing achievement in itself.

Lenat's fleet essentially uses missile volleys to scrub weapons from the opposition. This works well against spinal mount armed ships which only get one turn firing at full strength, on turn two plus and they are far less of a threat.
Unless the spinals have their own missile-rock line to retreat behind and repair. Although it takes 40 - 45 turns to repair a C spinal.

The Eurisko ships are essentially the only front line ships. The only flaw is that they cannot destroy ships, for that you need spinal weapons to destroy or immobilise the opposition, plus boarding parties (the fleet caries over 3000 marines). The Lenat fleet will only deploy its spinals in a safe environment, typically during a breakthrough. This way the mesons are always at full effect and will target large ships of size Q+. Similar with the PA spinals which will look to take out ship less than size Q with the extra criticals gained by the spinal size being greater than the ship size.
Agreed.
PAs are the efficient way to kill Wasp-like ships. Size K ships like the Euriskos are immune to size crit because of armour.
Mesons are required to kill the conventional size K ships.

Against fast ships over 2000 ton in size (+6 defensive bonus), each of the 75 Euriskos are firing 29 #3 missile batteries taking up 58 turrets. Note that the Euriskos are not maxed out for weapons, they only use 61 turrets of 111 turrets possible.
Oh, I assumed that it was a misprint that left out the definition of larger numbers, in this case V = 54. Even the crew is enough.

75 x 29 = 2175 missile batteries, hitting on 11+, that is 181 hits (less defensive fire) against the fastest, hardest to hit ships. About a third to a half of these will result in weapon hits.
Against Wasp-like ships they would hit on 12+, but only at long range...
75 × 54 = 4050 batteries and 112 hits causing ~9 wpn hits, but only about every other turn. If you retreat to keep the range long you leave your disabled ships vulnerable to boarding.

What difference do you think it would have made to have had a rule that considered the ability of a fleet to keep fighting campaign-style? Would his fleet have been attritted sufficiently to have been unable to perform as well later in a campaign, or was the fleet design just way to effective?

In my experience that is a flaw with all one-off wargames or "fights to the death". The scenario is of itself unrealistic. However and this is a big consideration, one-off games lasting a few hours, fit peoples available leisure time far more readily than campaigns lasting weeks or months.

In campaigns however ignoring campaign consequences can also pay off. In wargaming circles this is referred to as an Alpha Strike. The defender builds a balanced force, leaves a defensive force at home and sallies off cautiously to take over the galaxy. The attacker ignores defensive considerations and anything related to the possibility of losing (ie retreat) and sends all his forces on a one way attack trip. If it works he gains a systems and a "don't mess with me" reputation. If it doesn't, he quits and joins a new game.

On attriting, the Lenat fleet would attrite most "standard" fleets too fast. However the advantage the other player has in a long game, is that it is faster to repair scrubbed weapons in a shipyard than it is to rebuild 11,000 ton cruisers. As noted earlier the standard fleet would attack immediately with spinals, the Lenat fleet wouldn't meaning Lenats opponents can more easily attack and run, hopefully knocking out a Lenat ship every time. This is a slow strategy, but it plays to the attackers strengths.

The Lenat fleet also has a problem with retreating, however it is unlikely to need to in the early stages of a campaign. If it does have to retreat, as someone else noted, it will run out of supplies in the outer system. But it will take more than 30 days though, they can power down to PP1 using fuel at that rate.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Oh, I assumed that it was a misprint that left out the definition of larger numbers, in this case V = 54. Even the crew is enough.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
You may be right, especially if the crew works. Typically I would expect W, X Y, Z to also be defined, but the only one used is Z (no definition). Either way there is an anomoly, but I like your thinking.

[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]Against Wasp-like ships they would hit on 12+, but only at long range..[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]
Yep, but given the pilot limitation they are not likely to be present in large numbers or if they are, the remaining ships will be large to conserve on pilots.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]Although it takes 40 - 45 turns to repair a C spinal.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica]
Yep, and you will recall the breakthrough rules. Scrub all weapons and you fleet will get free fire (no return fire) on the reserve. When this starts happening regularly is when Lenat would use his spinal armed ships and they would in effect get to fire twice per turn.
[/FONT]

I wouldn't like to speculate without facts, but I agree that he would have to have had a complete battle simulator that was smart enough to optimise what ships to have in the battle line each turn, and that that would have been an astonishing achievement in itself.

It doesn't have to optimize the fleet at all. The battle simulator is straightforward to write (I've done that). Having a way to efficiently fling two sets of fleets together quickly shows trends which can be used to tweak fleets.

You don't have to "design" the fleet, you simply need to plug in some numbers in a few spots (batteries, count, etc.). You can later come back and "design to RAW" the ship around your outcome (within reason).

But if you want to know "what if I have 10 more 3 factor turrets, what then", well, "missile-turrets = missile-turrets + 10; run-sim".

He also could have easily written the tweak code to "given this range of parameters, start fighting fleets with different mixes" and see what happens.

In the end, it's all about trends. That's why most players "quit after the first round". The game is basically decided in one or two rounds, it's the nature of the game. It's pretty much impossible to "come from behind" for any reasonable amount of "behind".

Two equal fleets will perhaps go toe to toe, but luck will prevail on one side, and the end for the other begins quickly after that.

Yep, but given the pilot limitation they are not likely to be present in large numbers or if they are, the remaining ships will be large to conserve on pilots.
Certainly, but they don't need massive numbers... They are as difficult to kill as Euriskos. It takes ~4500 M#3 attacks to scrape a Eurisko and ~8200 M#3 attacks to scrape a size A rock, and the small rock will repair quicker.

Take 30 of these:
uIuG310.png

Z=124. 13 770 Dt drop tanks. 3 Pilots.

and 35 of these:
EdkBkw9.png

Emergency Agility=6. Z drives. 814 Dt drop tank. 2 Pilots.
Can just as well have a single M#9 bay, hence the cargo.

Fill out with 35 token ships of 400 Dt and 5 lifeboats for a total of 200 pilots and 30 + 35 + 35 = 100 ships.

This fleet has more ships, and higher minimum agility, so will generally decide range. We will keep short range.

At short range the Euriskos will not hit the missile rocks, at long range they will hit on 12+ for 112 hits and 9 wpn damage not even scraping a single missile rock. The damage will be repaired in 33 turns. The Euriskos will never wear down the battle line (but the Quellers will).

Instead the Euriskos attack the meson rocks causing 2925 hits, 1218 penetrations, and 101 wpn damage, scraping the spinal from 1.5 meson rocks.

This fleet has 3628 missile#3 batteries causing 1511 hits, 630 penetrations, and 52 wpn hits, almost scraping 1 Eurisko: not enough to worry about.

The 30 spinals cause 25 hits, almost 3 penetrations, and permanent kills about 1.5 Euriskos.

In the first 10 rounds the spinals kill ~10 Euriskos, against 15 spinals scraped. Retreat behind the missile rocks to repair, leaving 15 intact spinals to pop into the battle line occasionally to keep the Quellers nervous. If you happen to catch any Quellers or Cisors in the battle line kill them.

Rinse and repeat until the Euriskos are gone... The Euriskos can probably find a better strategy, but as long as one side has spinals and the other not and neither can wear down the other's missile line the spinals win.

TL/DR
This fleet is specifically designed to beat the Eurisko fleet and probably easy to defeat with a different fleet, but it illustrates the point: good missile rock lines will not wear each other down, making spinals decisive.

Back