• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Events in Gateway

Originally posted by T. Foster:
TNE-related tidbit: the k'kree are in a very interesting position wrt Virus. While on the one hand their technology is very automation-intensive, and thus particularly susceptible to Virus and colapse, OTOH since they only settle in naturally-habitable places they won't have experienced the sort of massive planetwide die-offs that hit the other Major Races. So, once they're able to recover starfaring technology (quite possibly, I daresay, in cooperation with certain strains of Virus -- important note: Virus is not carnivorous!) they should find themselves in a very strong position for recovery and/or conquest. Or at least that's what I'm hoping
I'll take issue with this. The early versions of the virus (the aggressive and suicidal ones) would wreak great destruction on the infrastructure. However, the K'kree masses have no real incentive to leave the nice pastoral world's they've settled. Plus the many races the K'kree have subjugated would be more than happy to throw off the yoke of their masters. Plus the Virus may not want to work with the K'kree partly because the K'kree would demand the dominate position. Not all virus strains are willing to give up their godhood.

Some of the effects of the K'kree terraforming efforts are described in GT:AR4. The K'kree don't care much about how much enviornmental damage they do in the process of removing the g'naak. They figure the system will rebalance it self and the hardships endured in the mean time only serve to make them stronger.

ps. Liam, can you please trim your sig.

Originally posted by tjoneslo:
I'll take issue with this. The early versions of the virus (the aggressive and suicidal ones) would wreak great destruction on the infrastructure. However, the K'kree masses have no real incentive to leave the nice pastoral world's they've settled. Plus the many races the K'kree have subjugated would be more than happy to throw off the yoke of their masters. Plus the Virus may not want to work with the K'kree partly because the K'kree would demand the dominate position. Not all virus strains are willing to give up their godhood.
I was oversimplifying for the sake of drama. When we hashed this out over on TNE-RCES a year or two back one of the things we came up with is that the isolation that the various planets of post-Collapse k'kree will face is entirely unprecedented in k'kree history. For millenia the k'kree have always been a single monolithic herd, and now, for the first time since Prehistory, they will have become many separate herds, and be forced to adapt to their new circumstances individually, without guidance from the traditional single chain of authority. From having always before spoken with one voice, the k'kree will now be speaking with a multitude of voices -- whether they like it or not (note: forced confrontation with one's philosophical opposite -- a classic Nilsenian trope).

Some will attempt to reestablish the old structures (and there will be several of these, all in mutual opposition), some will have become more tolerant and open-minded, some will have become more militant, some will (as you said) be content with the new status quo, some will have gone insane, some will have died, some (most, surely) will despise Virus as yet another curse brought down by the damnible g'naak, but a few, I hope -- I insist! -- will see Virus as an opportunity, a way to use the g'naak's own creation as their undoing, and it's these last few we most need to worry about, 'cause they're the ones who'll be most likely to show up in Human space...

P.S. trainspotter's trivia: mysterious figures on late-period TNE t-shirt, eventually confirmed by Dave Nilsen as being k'kree. Obvious reaction ("wtf are k'kree doing on a TNE shirt?") got the speculative ball rolling.

Tjoneslo posted:
"ps. Liam, can you please trim your sig.

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Tjoneslo posted:
"ps. Liam, can you please trim your sig.

Back