• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

fighter pilot skill = negative DM to be hit ... is this in?

Nerhesi

SOC-10
I was looking through some ancient posts here and there and I saw that certainversions of traveller correctly (or at least very cool-ly) simulated fast nimble maneuvarable fights by applying the pilots skill as some sort of negative modifier to the gunner trying to hit the fighter.

A) which version/versions of traveller is this in?

B) is in traveller 5? :)

Sam W

The Traveller 5 book hasn't been released, but is expected to ship at the end of the month. Until that time the NDA is still in effect and those people (not me) that were part of the playtesting are not allowed to answer this question.

I have heard rumors that small and fast ships will gain bonuses to help prevent large weapons from hitting them. Unfortunately this is not official information and I have no details on these mechanics or the specific question that you answered.

In short, we will know more in several weeks.

I was looking through some ancient posts here and there and I saw that certainversions of traveller correctly (or at least very cool-ly) simulated fast nimble maneuvarable fights by applying the pilots skill as some sort of negative modifier to the gunner trying to hit the fighter.

Re: A) for Classic and Mongoose:

CT: Yes. In LBB 2 combat, in the form of the Defender's DMs. Depends on Maneuver/Evade software. (Basically minus pilot skill times .25 times Maneuver/Evade level upto a multiplier of 1.) So if your computer and software are good enough its a straight -pilot skill DM.

High Guard: 1/2 of 1 less than command pilot skill adds to agility which is a -DM on all (or most?) to hit rolls.

MgT: In TMB, successful pilot check on a reaction (dodge - beam/missile/boarding) applies -2 DM. Multiple may be performed depending on initiative and Thrust allocated to maneuvering.

[Save your life for something else! ;)]

The Traveller 5 book hasn't been released, but is expected to ship at the end of the month. Until that time the NDA is still in effect and those people (not me) that were part of the playtesting are not allowed to answer this question.

Funny, he may as well free y'all from that.

Development is done. Pre-Sales are done (mostly). Anything good or bad press from discussing the game won't affect sales since the books will be in hands (and review/commentable) before they actually go back on sale.

And any assertions that were changed by last minute edits are no big deal.

So I dunno what holding folks to the NDA achieves anymore.

For purposes of discussing RAW, it's probably best - and early supporters may still see it as a perk. <shrug>

Since Marc made the rules, I also suspect he may want to be active in public forums discussing their interpretations.

Thanks gents - I'm waiting for my book too.

Just curious because Mongoose traveller didn't allow any special bonus to small craft - I know someone mentioned it up there that they got to dodge, but so do 500,000 ton battleships.

So hitting a 500,000 battleship with a maneuver drive of 6 is the same as 50 ton fighter with a drive of 6.

And as for dodging, not only is it identical, it is unclear whether it can be done multiple times for the same attack or not, but it is clear it only applies to one "attack". One thing that is clear however, is that a 50 ton fighter, does "dodge" as well as a million ton battleship (both -2 modifiers to DM if successful).

I really hope these are changing.

Re: A) for Classic and Mongoose:

CT: Yes. In LBB 2 combat, in the form of the Defender's DMs. Depends on Maneuver/Evade software. (Basically minus pilot skill times .25 times Maneuver/Evade level upto a multiplier of 1.) So if your computer and software are good enough its a straight -pilot skill DM.

High Guard: 1/2 of 1 less than command pilot skill adds to agility which is a -DM on all (or most?) to hit rolls.

MgT: In TMB, successful pilot check on a reaction (dodge - beam/missile/boarding) applies -2 DM. Multiple may be performed depending on initiative and Thrust allocated to maneuvering.

[Save your life for something else! ;)]
Don’t forget the LBB5 size codes- zillion ton ship gets +2 to be hit, small craft get -2. Fairly significant swing, and could help the little guy. Problem is the computer DM is going to kick in.

Don’t forget the LBB5 size codes- zillion ton ship gets +2 to be hit, small craft get -2. Fairly significant swing, and could help the little guy. Problem is the computer DM is going to kick in.
The size dms help offset the computer dms.

1. There's going to be a revision next month.

2. Ignoring that, we now have dogfight mode at close range, which is sixty [six second] segments in one combat round, in which smaller spacecraft are supposed to run circles around really larger ones.

Why are you ally replying to a nine year old post?

And in answer to the OP the rule in CT can be found in the hidden combat system in the ship's boat skill:
Ship's boat skill is used as a DM in handling throws to determine various operations
and their results. The following examples should illustrate this concept. Assume a hostile
attack on a pinnace (small craft) flown by a character with ship's boat-2. Throw 10+ for the
pinnace to escape on contact and avoid the attack; DM +2 based on the skill. Throw 8+ to avoid
being hit by enemy fire if the escape attempt fails; DM +2, again based on the skill. Alternate
these throws until either escape succeeds or the craft is hit. If the pinnace is hit, throw 5+ for
it to be crippled and boarded; 4· for the craft to be destroyed; no DMs apply to this throw for
damage type.

Back