• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Fresh Air

Multiplying the population intervals by gravity, summing them and then dividing by the total population interval, I get 0.511652 to 0.974973. 0.55 is contained within that, but on the lower end.
I multiply population by (gravity + 1), sum up, divide by total pop, and subtract 1.

Note that if you just multiply pop by gravity you lose the population in gravity 0.

I only use the rounded pop value, no range.

Note that if you just multiply pop by gravity you lose the population in gravity 0.

You gain it back when you divide by the total population. If you have two worlds, a gravity 0 world with 100 population and a gravity 1.0 world with 1 population, what's the average? (0 * 100 + 1 * 1) / 101 = 0.00990, which makes sense. Likewise, if you have 50 population on the gravity zero world and 50 on gravity 1, that's 0*50 + 1*50 / 100 = 0.5, which is also what you would expect.

Multiplying the population intervals by gravity, summing them and then dividing by the total population interval, I get 0.511652 to 0.974973. 0.55 is contained within that, but on the lower end.
This is starting to become embarrassing; That is 55% of pop in breathable atmosphere.

Average gravity is 0.699 g.

10,000 random Spinward Marches residents

I set up a weighted (by population) choice of 10,000 Spinward Marches residents, to get an idea of what the average conditions might look like. For the weighting of each world to be selected, I used the mean of the minimum and maximum population interval.

First, what kind of atmosphere do those citizens live in?
UzrORq2.png

"Very Thin" (Mars like) is by far the most common, though breathable (5,6, and 8) collected together are almost as common: 2498 can breath their atmospheres. Only 23 have insidious atmospheres and 26 have exotic.

Surface gravity presuming standard density:
trBmiZC.png

0.5g is easily the most common, but the average of this sample is actually 0.70g.

Starport:
4805 have a class A starport
1731 have a class B starport
1244 have a class C starport
649 have a class D starport
1731 have a class E starport and
265 have a class X starport

Tech Level 11 (B) is most frequent:
KCRIVqU.png

I have done simple climate and temperature simulation of Traveller (or T2300) worlds before:
(and I'm not sure if the motion gif will come through: https://i.imgur.com/7RG3NgO.gifv )
, but Traveller doesn't really have rules that support that and there's no way to derive statistics from TravellerMap data. I think, though, based on what we see in the traveller map data, somewhere between a third and a half of imperial residents can breathe their atmospheres without aid and there's enough surface gravity to get by without adverse effects.

Book 6 Temperature

According to Book 6, a world's average temperature is:

T = KG (1 - A)(L ^0.25)/D ^0.5

Where

T is Average world Temperature in kelvin.

K is 374.025 a constant determined from the average temperature of Terra.

G is Greenhouse effect.

A is Albedo

L is Star Luminosity in solar units

D is Distance from primary in AU

This is a booger-bear of a computation because some of those factors require work, thenselves. The Albedo value requires a good deal of figuring.

It's not rocket science, but it is time consuming.

It's not easy, that's for sure.

Terra's average temperature in kelvin degrees 288.

58.73 degrees F.

14.85 degrees C.

Grand Survey Temperature

DGP's book offers three different systems for determining local temperature (and it also explains why the Book 6 result is just a starting point that cannot be relied upon to deliver the actual local temperature in a place on the world.)

The first system is the Ref's informed choice, informed by a chart in GS.

The second system is an extension of Book 6.

The third system is new system created by DGP that is a bit more simple than Book 6 but still a time sucker, delivering a more specific and usable local temperature guide.

GS can be used to create a temperature template for a world, where longitude is considered.

Book 6 Temperature

This is a booger-bear of a computation because some of those factors require work, thenselves. The Albedo value requires a good deal of figuring.

Albedo constantly changes as well, as does the greenhouse coefficient. You can get runaway temperature crashes pretty easily in certain kinds of worlds when just enough ice coverage changes albedo just enough that more ice accumulates the next year, consequently increasing albedo even more, lowering temperature which reduces forest absorption and so on.

Once the work is done for the Temperature Templates from DGP's books, those are extremely helpful, if you want to use temp in your games.

I used to create one for all the major worlds of a subsector that I knew the PCs would be exploring. This is a lot of work.

As soon as I knew the next destination world, my homeworld would be to create a temperature template for that world for the next game session.

First, what kind of atmosphere do those citizens live in?
UzrORq2.png

"Very Thin" (Mars like) is by far the most common, though breathable (5,6, and 8) collected together are almost as common: 2498 can breath their atmospheres.
Yes, that distribution is remarkable, but the VThin is basically down to two worlds: Rethe and Junidy, the two most populous worlds in the Impie SM (and Rhylanor).

The spike in Dense Tainted (code 9) is due to four HiPop worlds: Vilis, Lunion, Mora, and Trin.

Let's compare the distributions by Population, Planets, and Theoretical Random.
JwKLppP.png

The distribution by planet is fairly close to the theoretical distribution, so I guess it really is random rolls. The by population distribution is different, but that is down to a few HiPop worlds.

The distributions for the entire Imperium should be closer to the theoretical distribution.

If I have calculated even remotely correct this time...

The distributions for the entire Imperium should be closer to the theoretical distribution.

If I have calculated even remotely correct this time...

There should be two values that are directly rolled independent of anything else, world size and world population. For the imperium, standard deviation on the world size is 2.10324, and for world population standard deviation is 2.31918. For a purely normal distribution standard deviation on two random die roles is 2.41523.

A few of the sectors hint a little at being less than random. "Corr" has a standard deviation of 1.84 with 207 members - exactly the same as Verg. "Gush" has 532 members and a standard deviation of 1.87. (for world size)

Is that atmosphere for the entire Imperium? That is a lot of Tainted Standard (code 7)!

No, though I closed the notebook already, which I shouldn't have done. For the entire imperium:

<|"Vacuum" -> 1147, "Standard" -> 1033, "Standard Tainted" -> 831,
"Dense Tainted" -> 691, "Very Thin Tainted" -> 681,
"Thin Tainted" -> 925, "Insidious" -> 145, "Thin" -> 1011,
"Very Thin" -> 807, "Dense" -> 760, "Crossive" -> 164,
"Trace" -> 532, "Exotic" -> 141, "Dense High" -> 89,
"Ellipsoid" -> 20, "Thin Low" -> 11|>

Size (and hence gravity) distribution for the entire Imperium (8988 systems):
Ouj6P5o.png

Average gravity by population: 0.696 g

Atmosphere distribution for the entire Imperium:
U9REZJn.png

Percent of population in Thin-Dense: 70.7%, of which Tainted: 23.9%.

As we can see the actual distributions (blue, red) differ significantly from the ideal random distribution (green). Presumably there is quite a lot of adjustments, after the rolls.

Population distribution for the entire Imperium:
g3NOBZe.png

We can see that population 0 is underrepresented, so moved to higher pop, e.g. 8, and 9.

Back