• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

From the Adventures of Jon Smithe, Imperial Scout - Unexpected Object

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Bonk.

Bunk.

Bonk

Goober caught the rubber moon ball with a tentacle. He kept bouncing it against the bulkhead. It was a Holiday present from Jon.

Jon and Buddy were working on the resupply list in the ship's lounge.

"I think we should pick up another moon ball for Goober. He could probably get a couple going. Maybe he'll learn to juggle."

Jon scratched his head. "Oh, and before I forget: grab a case of tacos from the TacoBot 3000 kiosk, please? We're just about out."

"I also want you to find an import distributor of hand-fashioned Clotho Gossamer handkerchiefs. I'd like them for my dress uniform. I hear they use them in the Imperium Moot."

"Yes, Sir", Buddy said.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"The Proximity Alert, Sir. It's not at an urgent volume."

"I wonder what it is. We should be far enough out to avoid normal traffic. Let's go check," Jon said to the 'Bot as he stood up.

"Archimedes should have it on the screens already," Buddy said as they walked to the Bridge.

"Archi, what do we have?" Jon said to the ship's computer.

"I believe it would be an asteroid, of sorts. Ahead in our path," the computer said.

"Archi, why aren't you being specific?" Jon asked.

Archi said, "It isn't a typical asteroid, Commander."

Jon sat down in the Pilot's Chair. "Can we get it on screen?"

A beep and a couple of boops later and an image came up on the main screen.

Jon looked at it for a second, then said: "What the hell is that? Is it organic?"

"Negative," Archi said. "It is Carbon. Extremely gravity-compressed Carbon. With some contaminants."

"It's... It's a diamond?!?" Jon said incredulously.

"Yes."

Jon shook his head. "What is the size of that?"

Archi said: "Approximately 10 tons. It would have to be weighed and measured.

"That's... in MegaCredits, Archi. Or higher. And what color is it?" Jon asked.

"A light shade of Purple. More into the Blue spectrum than Red. For it's size, it may be unique," Archi finished.

"Wow!" Jon said and sat staring for a few minutes.

Jon turned to Buddy and said, "Can you pull up the specs for a Claim Beacon? I'm not sure it will be honored, but let's make an attempt. And I'm going to set up a reverse course so we can log it and maybe get someone out here to haul it in."

"Yes, Sir."

_____

Two hours later, they had closed on the object and everyone suited up in their VACC Suits.

Goober climbed the airlock bulkhead wall using the suction cups in his suit. He made a slip in climbing and started to fall before Buddy caught him. Goober climbed up the robot's arm and sat on its shoulder.

Buddy said: "I believe we are ready, Sir."

Smith touched a couple of buttons on the airlock panel and it flashed EVACUATING ATMOSPHERE. The sounds Jon could hear through his helmet got softer and softer as the airlock drained the atmosphere to vacuum. Then Jon could only hear his own breathing.

Jon said: "if we get this claim, I'm going to Vega5 and play some Denebian rules Poker - just for fun. Any winnings can go to the Spacer's Orphanage Fund. I might even make a trip to Stellatio 7. I've never been there before."

"Yes, Sir," Buddy said.

With just a touch of the suit's thrusters, they drifted out of the airlock, and vectored towards the diamond asteroid. As they got closer, they realized the immense size of the asteroid.

"We definitely don't have the room on the ship. I hope people honor the claim," Jon said.

Buddy placed the Claim Beacon against the object. There was a bit of a adhesive to help it stick. And they used some straps to wrap around it.

Smith looked at the job they did and said: "Go ahead and activate it, Buddy."

The 'Bot pressed a few buttons on the makeshift device and it began blinking. In their headsets they heard: "This asteroid is claimed by Jon Smithe, Detached Scout. "

To message went on to explain Interstellar Law concerning claims. When it was finished, it started over with the original message.

"That should do it. Let's get back to the ship." Smithe said before Buddy interrupted him.

"I brought a holo-drone. I thought you might like something to remember it by." And Buddy took the very small drone out and set it flying. It moved a short distance away. Goober jumped to the asteroid and clung to the side. The drone counted down from 5 in their headsets then snapped a holo-pic.

"Alright, anything else?" Jon asked.

Buddy said: "No, Sir." and Goober jumped to the robot's back before they flew away.

EDITED SIZE

Last edited:
“Archi, what do we have?” Jon said to the ship’s computer.

“I believe it would be an asteroid, of sorts. Ahead in our path,” the computer said.

“Archi, why aren’t you being specific?” Jon asked.

Archi said, “It isn’t a typical asteroid, Commander.”

Jon sat down in the pilot’s chair. “Can we get it on screen?”

A beep and a couple of boops later and an image came up on the main screen.

Jon looked at it for a second, then said: “What the hell is that? Is it organic?”

“Negative,” Archi said. "It is carbon. Extremely gravity-compressed carbon. With some contaminants.”

“It‘s… It’s a diamond?!?” Jon said incredulously.

“Yes.”

Jon shook his head. “What is the size of that?”

Archi said: “Approximately 2,700 carats. It would have to be weighed and measured.”
I have one nit to pick: a carat is a unit of mass, not a unit of volume. 2,700 carats = 540 grams, which is a bit over 19 avoirdupois ounces. A diamond’s density is about 3.5 g ⁄ cm³ = 17.5 carats ⁄ cm³, so a 2,700 carat diamond would have a volume of about 154.3 cm³, which is a bit over 9.4 cubic inches. If it were perfectly spherical, its diameter would be about 6.65 cm or 2.62 inches, so the answer to “What is the size of that?” would be “Approximately one tennis ball.”

so the answer to “What is the size of that?” would be “Approximately one tennis ball.”
No kidding? That's awesome! I took a guess there and grabbed what I thought was a big number.

What do you think it would be for something too large to get in the ship?

Something large enough to be "tons of displacement" ... :unsure:
Yeah, that's a lot of diamond.

Largest space is 4 dtons dumping the air/raft. So at least bigger then 4 tons or maybe just longer.
Picturing it in y head, I didn't want it to be too much bigger that the People in front of it. So maybe 10 tons.

If it's as big as you intimate, you could buy several replacement air rafts!
True, but that kinda screws with the story.

If it's as big as you intimate, you could buy several replacement air rafts!
They say the two biggest gem quality diamonds found were worth 2 billion dollars each- that’s something like MCr 400, and of course can fit in small knapsacks.

Perhaps another mcguffin needs to be created to explain not toting that bad boy home.

They say the two biggest gem quality diamonds found were worth 2 billion dollars each—that’s something like MCr 400, and of course can fit in small knapsacks.
Here’s a picture of the Cullinan Diamond (3,106 carats) with its finder, Frederick Wells, before the diamond was cut:

FGS_Wells_with_Cullinan_Diamond.jpg

I doubt she’ll say no.
She might if a non-negotiable condition is that she always has to wear the ring on which it’s mounted.

Back