• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Gauss Light Machine Gun (GLMG)

Dragoner

SOC-14 1K
Admin Award 2022
1_GLMG.jpg

Gauss Light Machine Gun (GLMG) : A heavier box magazine fed version of the gauss rifle. The GLMG fires a 4 mm, 4 gram needle bullet at velocities of around 1500 meters per second with a practical rate of fire of 200 rounds per minute (50 rounds per combat round). Ammunition is provrded m 200 round box magazines or gauss rifle clips. Reloading requires one round.

Each pull of the trigger fires a 10 round burst, up to five of which may be fired in any One combat round. Each burst may be directed at a different target, provided all are within a 45 degree firing arc. If more than 3 bursts are fired per combat round, there is a chance that the GLMG will overheat/malfunction and jam. Roll 2D 13+ to jam, DM +1 per extra burst fired, with DM's cumulative and carried over to successive firing rounds. Thus, firing four bursts would cause a DM of +1. Firing four bursts the next combat round would cause a DM of +2. Accumulated DM'S are reduced by one for each turn in which the GLMG is not fired. If the weapon jams, roll 2D 10+ to clear it, DM +1 per level of Heavy Weapons skill. Roll to clear the jam once per combat round. The GLMG is provided with a bipod, and generally must be fired whire prone with the bipod extended, although the weapon can also be fired from any convenient rest (bunker embrasure, log, two man carry, etc). Tripods may be purchased, use of which allows the weapon to fire at targets at extreme range and extends the weapon's arc of fire to 90 degrees.

Standard equipment includes an electronic battlefield sight, incorporating both light amplification and passive IR, visual magnification and a laser rangefinder which also may be used as a target painting device. The weapon is gyroscopically stabilized during firing and a sling is also provided.

Length: 1000 mm. Weight. Unloaded: 5000 grams (200 round box/clip: 2000 grams; tripod mount: 3500 grams). Base price: CR 2200 (200 round box Cr 150, tripod CR 250).Tech level 12. Extreme range (when tripod mounted): 1500 meters. Uses full auto gauss rifle columns in the various tables, a hit is 4d damage, same as gauss rifle.

Last edited:
Nice design, no, I haven't seen it, reminds me I need to add in the sights paragraph from the ACR. It should seem very familar as it is really just a cut and paste from Mercenary (LBB4) "gaussied up". har har ;)

Yeah, it fills a big gap between the single rifle and the vehicle-mounted VFR GG. I figured there had to be versions of the SMG and a squad-level weapon...but the trick is to not make it better than the VRF and still useful enough to have it put into production.

Yes, easy to make it too powerful. It fills the gap in support weapons for sure, but there should be a TL9 ACR regular version as well. IMTU the average Imperial Trooper is Gauss Rifle and Combat Armor for regular forces. Hard to wrap my head around plasma and fusion guns, they seem more like flame throwers as they would burn atmosphere here on earth, more of a specialty assault engineer type weapon.Too bad lasers are somehow ineffective as small arms.

Yes, I like that auto-laser rifle, too.

I think the reason for all the gaps is that you have so much overlap starting at TL-12 between slug-throwers, lasers, and the energy weapons that the designers probably didn't know where to go. Besides, if you try to fill all the gaps you start seeing a leveling out across the spreadsheet with just tiny differences between the weapons.

In Striker a lot of those differences level out even more, but with CT's all-or-nothing system the weapons get seriously more lethal and hard to keep track of in-game as players unleash hell all over the table. I have about 40 "firearms" on my combat spreadsheet - and a third of them are my own to fill in gaps and meet player requests, yet players still just average out to the same 5 or 6 weapons anyway. So I often wonder why bother except for my own amusement?

But I stuck with only a gauss pistol/SMG/rifle/SAW and two early generation railgun support rifles. as it is I have too many types of shotguns just because every time I have a new player they just have to have this "really cool new gun" they saw on TV or the internet.

Yeah, it fills a big gap between the single rifle and the vehicle-mounted VFR GG. I figured there had to be versions of the SMG and a squad-level weapon...but the trick is to not make it better than the VRF and still useful enough to have it put into production.

I like it, and like how it does fill the gap.

HOWEVER! I would make it Tech Level 11, to have it also be a technological step between the VRFGG, which is TL 9, and the Gauss Rifle, which is TL 12.

In Striker a lot of those differences level out even more, but with CT's all-or-nothing system the weapons get seriously more lethal and hard to keep track of in-game as players unleash hell all over the table.

My GLMG is the weakest of all three gauss MG's shown and it is still the most powerful weapon in CT if used right; I don't want things too out of control powerful.

My GLMG is the weakest of all three gauss MG's shown and it is still the most powerful weapon in CT if used right; I don't want things too out of control powerful.

Well, to put it in perspective the CT gauss rifle is a monster that eats even battledress for lunch. It's so powerful and compact it makes me wonder why anyone would bother with the bulkier P-FGMP's except for the range and energy weapon being just plain cool.

The GR can use the autofire bonus rule and hit multiple targets multiple times with a very high chance to hit - which in CT terms means a lot of 4D6 packets hitting targets out there and knocking them out of action. Plus, if the target is still standing after taking 4-8D6 damage the rifle can lob a RAM HEAP grenade at it and do another handful of dice damage.

It sounds weird but I had to outlaw the things as civilian weapons outright or the players just owned the field unless against outlandish odds.

In Striker they became more of a regular, advanced battle rifle that had a harder - but realistically so - time against combat and battle dress. The VRF was deadly enough to use as a coax gun on even the heaviest MBT. The need for the G-SAW I came up with was made obvious at that point since I needed something that was heavy enough to allow for higher velocities (= high PEN value), a longer effective range (better stand-off weapon), and yet still reasonably man-portable.

I like it, and like how it does fill the gap.

HOWEVER! I would make it Tech Level 11, to have it also be a technological step between the VRFGG, which is TL 9, and the Gauss Rifle, which is TL 12.

'cuz I came up with these instead:

http://freelancetraveller.com/features/consgoods/guns/earlygauss.html

I saw the VRF as the earliest heavy weapon using railgun technology and therefore the clunkiest. Needs lots of cooling, lots of power, and lots of (presumably) maintenance. Like a lot of new technology on the battlefield does until the practical kinks get worked out and something better comes along as the fiddling with the concept continues.

Also, given that this is the time period when a lot of the laser, grav, and energy weapon tech starts coming on line I figured there'd be a lot of designs going in and out of popularity among developers and the military - so, maybe the gauss weapons didn't get the attention they warranted because the lasers were sexier? Also the cooling problem is an issue: I figured that if materials technology had advanced by TL-12 to make a small battle rifle type gauss weapon automatic without a lot of external cooling then the same tech would make it possible to make a heavier man-portable support weapon for higher rates of fire - but still nothing like a VRF. I figured that for some reason beyond my expertise (the "Just Cuz" Referee Fiat Rule) you couldn't do it any earlier, or get any better performance without making it too heavy later.

And besides, the things are already deadly enough for any player.

Last edited:
Well, to put it in perspective the CT gauss rifle is a monster that eats even battledress for lunch. It's so powerful and compact it makes me wonder why anyone would bother with the bulkier P-FGMP's except for the range and energy weapon being just plain cool.

The GR can use the autofire bonus rule and hit multiple targets multiple times with a very high chance to hit - which in CT terms means a lot of 4D6 packets hitting targets out there and knocking them out of action. Plus, if the target is still standing after taking 4-8D6 damage the rifle can lob a RAM HEAP grenade at it and do another handful of dice damage.

It sounds weird but I had to outlaw the things as civilian weapons outright or the players just owned the field unless against outlandish odds.

In Striker they became more of a regular, advanced battle rifle that had a harder - but realistically so - time against combat and battle dress. The VRF was deadly enough to use as a coax gun on even the heaviest MBT. The need for the G-SAW I came up with was made obvious at that point since I needed something that was heavy enough to allow for higher velocities (= high PEN value), a longer effective range (better stand-off weapon), and yet still reasonably man-portable.

The bulkier energy weapons represent to me, heavy assault weapons, used in specialized detachments such as assault engineer companies.

Gauss weapons are for their time (TL15 Traveller), the standard military small arm, as such, carrying them around is outlawed on civilian worlds. I think players, even in a military campaign, should use their heads, actual battle is quite deadly and suicide charges are just that, suicide charges. Ultimate on the battlefield are MRL's and Fusion Pulse Guns of a Tank's MA (Meson Guns really, but they have residual radiation, so aren't commonly used). CA and BD are really minimum protection by this time, but shouldn't be seen as impervious. Though IMTU, the Imperium and other "nations" field troops at different standards, such as Imperial Rifle Divisions with just ACR's, SMG's and in Combat Environment Suits for security or second line duties.

It's fun to build the actual armies, like to look at an Imperial Army line squad:

8 troops (2 fire teams of 4, senior fire team leader is also squad NCO), Combat Armor all.
6 Gauss Rifles, 1 GLMG, 1 Grenade Launcher (some squads replace Grenade Launcher with Light Mortar), and 4 variable warhead Tac missiles for AT/AD work. Various RAM and Hand Grenades, types of Mines by mission. Just a quick load out.

Last edited:
The bulkier energy weapons represent to me, heavy assault weapons, used in specialized detachments such as assault engineer companies.

Gauss weapons are for their time (TL15 Traveller), the standard military small arm, as such, carrying them around is outlawed on civilian worlds.

Actually, they are not the standard sidearm per the actual rules - the energy weapons are by TL-15. Prior TL's have the energy weapons as support guns and the gauss rifle as a standard arm, but even before TL-15 they are replaced by the FGMP's once the grav-assist versions for use without BD come online. The fact that versions are available for use without BD being required (aside from there being no mention of it in the rules) has always led me to believe that the energy weapons are not radioactive dangers to bystanders. At least as I read the CT rules, which since those are the ones I use (Striker included) they are the ones I have always used to extrapolate weapons for later design.

Which then makes me crazy when I consider how lethal the mere gauss rifle is to higher levels of armor - an issue primarily linked to the CT all-or-nothing combat system, I know, but rectified by Striker which unfortunately not all players have been as enthusiastic about as I. So I usually end up going back to the original CT system.

I have fixed that by using a chart that creates a sliding scale for BD and Combat effectiveness at higher TL's than the ones they are first introduced at. It makes levels out the field so it makes more sense to use an energy weapon (or at least a big gun or grenade) to penetrate the heavy armors while not reducing the inherent values of the weapons. So far it works ok in play and it translates reasonably to vehicles so I can integrate the Striker combat system into vehicular combat and then back to CT seamlessly in-game. At least it is for the players, but the workload of the referee is always a thankless task never properly appreciated by players.

I think players, even in a military campaign, should use their heads, actual battle is quite deadly and suicide charges are just that, suicide charges. Ultimate on the battlefield are MRL's and Fusion Pulse Guns of a Tank's MA (Meson Guns really, but they have residual radiation, so aren't commonly used). CA and BD are really minimum protection by this time, but shouldn't be seen as impervious. Though IMTU, the Imperium and other "nations" field troops at different standards, such as Imperial Rifle Divisions with just ACR's, SMG's and in Combat Environment Suits for security or second line duties.

I agree, but since I have only very rarely ran an entirely military campaign I don't usually have the luxury of just throwing the lot at the players and letting them wargame it out. 9 times out of 10 it's a role-playing campaign that might have the players involved in some mercenary action, either because they want to be or just because they end up in one, and so while the big MBT's and meson guns might be in the background thundering away, the players don't get to play with them or they'd probably get wiped out too often. Discourages players from more campaigns.

Besides, players kill themselves off enough already without my having to make it easier for them. So I scale things down and give them the benefit of not having to fight it out with better trained and armed troops all the time by not letting the players have access to the better equipment all the time. That way they get a real thrill if when they do encounter the "real thing" sometimes, too!

It's fun to build the actual armies, like to look at an Imperial Army line squad:

8 troops (2 fire teams of 4, senior fire team leader is also squad NCO), Combat Armor all.
6 Gauss Rifles, 1 GLMG, 1 Grenade Launcher (some squads replace Grenade Launcher with Light Mortar), and 4 variable warhead Tac missiles for AT/AD work. Various RAM and Hand Grenades, types of Mines by mission. Just a quick load out.

Always, I was playing wargames a long time before Traveller came out so I take to that aspect of the game like a fish to water. I just wich more players did, but I've noticed that the drop off in wargamey players has been steep since the mid-80's and nowadays they just look at you funny like the wargamer is the nerd and role-player is the norm or something.

My IMTU I have recently advanced the universe timeline by 30 years to begin the early days of the Terran Empire. It's the same homemade universe I started with in 76 but just better imagined, filled out, and such and it just uses the original CT rules, Striker, and that's it. No Imperium, etc. SO its both heretical and the real deal all at the same time since the original had nothing but vague hints of what was out there (until the Zhodani came out I could never figure out why psionics were banned) and the ref was free to imagine it all. Had too, actually.

So, with the caveat that things are different IMTU (like a way different future history based on how I saw things heading in the 70's and early 80's), and the universe has morphed from the Terran Confederation into the First Empire about 25 years ago (and is still a wee shaky) - here's some info on how I organized my TL-15 military.

"...The Imperial Marines are currently armed and equipped to full TL-15 standards. The typical Marine can be arguably called a weapon system equipped with either a standard TL-15 Battlesuit with all its integrated weapons (finger laser, tac missile racks, and CQB systems), defensive armor and armament (Scatterspray PDWS, ECM, and bonded superdense skin) or a heavy Assault Suit with integrated fusion gun or 2cm collapsing round support gun. Jump Troopers are equipped similarly, but with more “stealth” gear including the new nanoskin suits that mimic not just background color, but texture and motion.

The Imperial Marines are organized into regiments consisting of 2 battalions (500 combat soldiers each) with a regimental command HQ of 50 staff. Each Battalion is organized into 2, 200-man Line Companies with a 100-man Light Company that is trained and equipped for recon and commando. In addition to the infantry units a Regiment will have various artillery and support units attached to it on an as-needed basis. Armored regiments consist of 46 MBT’s with assorted support vehicles.

The Main Battle Tank of the Marines is the M-8b Bulldog, a grav tank upgraded from the original M-8 of the TC forces. In addition to some updates to the electronics and ECM suites the M-8 also has the vehicle version of the Scatterspray PDWS added to it with increased lethality against personnel as well as incoming smart weapons. The armor has also been supplemented with Smart-skin sensors and nanoarmor sheathing to allow for a certain amount of “self-healing” of the tank’s armor. The actual name and means of this technological breakthrough is still highly classified, but it shows incredible promise in defensive applications across all the Services.

The Normandy-class 175kt Imperial Marine Carrier is the standard transport for the Imperial Marines, with a smaller class of Fast Response Carriers (50kt Hastings-class) used for independent cruising along the borders of the Empire. The HMS Normandy can carry 2 full Marine regiments and 1 Armored regiment, along with all the needed support to maintain operations for 14 days of sustained combat. The HMS Hastings carries 1 Marine regiment with a company of attached armor, and can sustain combat operations for a similar amount of time. "...

A typical Marine squad has 10 men: 1 officer, 1 Sgt, and two fireteams of 4 each. That's for the Line units, the Light Companies have 5-man squads and are often attached to a Line squad for recce duties. Armored regiments have attached dismounts for the IFV's that wear Combat instead of BD and come in 6-man squads - the extra guy wears BD and carries a heavy support weapon of some type, usually the 20mm SSG-88 collapsing round gun.

Last edited:
The Imperial Marines also include the drop troops who wear heavier armor and fight as "light" infantry and used to penetrate behind enemy lines for surgical strikes or as a harassing force to bash at rear area supply lines and commo hubs:

"...The Imperial Drop Troops are the Special Forces arm of the Marines within the Empire’s current TO&E. Previously they were a separate branch entirely, but it was found that this led to a “firewall” between the two ground combat arms that caused strategic and tactical tasking problems. Too much overlap resulted when tasking the forces and the unique advantages and abilities of the drop forces was too often wasted.

Currently the forces are used as a surgical strike force in combination with Scout recce regiments who act as pathfinders for the drop units and stand by to aid in recovery ops. During the time of the Terran Confederation the drop troops were used too often to establish a beachhead for a full Marine soft landing assault, but this (while still a function for which they train and prepare to perform) too often resulted in heavier than acceptable losses among a highly technical and “light” infantry force since they all too often found themselves in untenable positions that couldn’t be reinforced rapidly enough to save them. Because these losses were prohibitively expensive to replace within the timeframe that the last war occurred in it was decided by the Board of Inquiry that the new primary mission of the drop troops was surgical strike and fast recovery. Secondary consideration was given to being the first ones in to establish a beachhead since now the Imperial Line Marines are better disposed and equipped to perform this task than under the Terran Confederation...

...The IDT is equipped to TL-15 standards and use the heavy Assault Battlesuit and SSG-88 as a squad support weapon in its shoulder fired configuration. The basic sidearm is the FGMP-14, or FGMP-15 for garrison duty in combat armor.

The 75kt Athena-class Drop Carrier is the primary standard transport for the IDT and can deploy one light regiment (520 men + support techs) of IDT forces within 5 minutes, then act as support for fire missions with its missile ortillery batteries. “Soft” landing of M-9 Crocodile IFV’s is done with cutters or landers, but usually the grav vehicles de-orbit below the horizon of the infantry drop for rendezvous with the ground later if they are required.

Recovery is made by the Recon Scout force that acts a pathfinder for the assault group in Valkyrie-class 500 ton assault landers – heavily armored and armed landers with 6g acceleration and advanced ECM capabilities to make recovery of casualties or an IDT under fire is required. Four assault landers are carried in an Athena and they can recover 150 in each lander; casualties take up 2 slots each. The landers are also equipped with 6 drone bays to launch Casualty Recovery Drones (known as “Nightingales” among the troops) and fire support hunter-killer drones firing VRFGG’s and anti-armor (or nuclear) tactical missiles. HK drones can also be equipped with autocannnon railguns for firing collapsing rounds in bursts – usually for rapid area suppression during recovery operations..."

Troopers assigned to guard duty at embassies, starports, and other areas where more "precision" might be needed if shooting it out with bad guys are equipped with gauss rifles. Less spill-over damage to bystanders that way.

But on the battlefield the FGMP is king and gauss rifles is limited to use by units like artillery, vehicle crews, and rear area personnel who don't necessarily need a sidearm to kill everything in sight out to the horizon in one burst, but something better than a pistol if they have to bail out of a burning hovertruck.

Actually, they are not the standard sidearm per the actual rules - the energy weapons are by TL-15. Prior TL's have the energy weapons as support guns and the gauss rifle as a standard arm, but even before TL-15 they are replaced by the FGMP's once the grav-assist versions for use without BD come online. The fact that versions are available for use without BD being required (aside from there being no mention of it in the rules) has always led me to believe that the energy weapons are not radioactive dangers to bystanders. At least as I read the CT rules, which since those are the ones I use (Striker included) they are the ones I have always used to extrapolate weapons for later design.

Right, by TL15 it says most troops are in BD with FGMP's, I just change that single word to "some" instead. Realistically, equiping millions of troops seems a nightmare for little gain over the standard CA/GR troop. Plus I like to keep BD/FGMP troops a little more rare. Main killers on the battlefield will still be artillery followed by armor; mines, anthor big casualty causer aren't even covered. I do think that Plasma or Fusion weapons would represent some sort of radiation hazard, especially if heavily used in an area, what happens as well if the back pack cell is hit?

Which then makes me crazy when I consider how lethal the mere gauss rifle is to higher levels of armor - an issue primarily linked to the CT all-or-nothing combat system, I know, but rectified by Striker which unfortunately not all players have been as enthusiastic about as I. So I usually end up going back to the original CT system.

I like the CT system for being quick and simple, I will take things from striker, but otherwise I think it has issues. I already mentioned the 600 ton grav apc in another thread, but I think Striker would have been alot better if the baseline was TL15 and backtracking down, rather then TL5 and adapting up, which is what it seems. Some things are giving to role-playing and others to wargaming, I still play and design wargame stuff and there as well is a balance between "game" and "realism", nothing showed me that better than Advanced Squad Leader.

I have fixed that by using a chart that creates a sliding scale for BD and Combat effectiveness at higher TL's than the ones they are first introduced at. It makes levels out the field so it makes more sense to use an energy weapon (or at least a big gun or grenade) to penetrate the heavy armors while not reducing the inherent values of the weapons. So far it works ok in play and it translates reasonably to vehicles so I can integrate the Striker combat system into vehicular combat and then back to CT seamlessly in-game. At least it is for the players, but the workload of the referee is always a thankless task never properly appreciated by players.

Armor is a funny thing, with AFV's, TL is everything and higher TL's will brush aside lower TL vehicles. Infantry and other AT weapons, usually real life, at their proper TL, will take out an AFV with a solid hit. Before Striker came on the scene, I had just adapted LBB2 starship combat using the Non-Starship column of the Table, but mostly a hit is a kill for all intensive purposes.

Besides, players kill themselves off enough already without my having to make it easier for them. So I scale things down and give them the benefit of not having to fight it out with better trained and armed troops all the time by not letting the players have access to the better equipment all the time. That way they get a real thrill if when they do encounter the "real thing" sometimes, too!

By military, I mean just small action, though it might be neat to run a campaign with Tankers as PC's or something. I try not to kill off the PC's as it does make things much less fun as you said.

Always, I was playing wargames a long time before Traveller came out so I take to that aspect of the game like a fish to water. I just wich more players did, but I've noticed that the drop off in wargamey players has been steep since the mid-80's and nowadays they just look at you funny like the wargamer is the nerd and role-player is the norm or something.

I started out with Chess and all the Avalon Hill classics and continue to play wargames, just mostly computer now. There is a wargame club around here called the war college as well.

My IMTU I have recently advanced the universe timeline by 30 years to begin the early days of the Terran Empire. It's the same homemade universe I started with in 76 but just better imagined, filled out, and such and it just uses the original CT rules, Striker, and that's it. No Imperium, etc. SO its both heretical and the real deal all at the same time since the original had nothing but vague hints of what was out there (until the Zhodani came out I could never figure out why psionics were banned) and the ref was free to imagine it all. Had too, actually.

I have run various settings, though now I'm making a campaign setting called Imperium 1133 (for a year or so now) which has a resurgent Empire Involved in The Great Interstellar War, it follows a lot of the OTU, the Emperor assassinated, civil war, virus, etc. . But The Zhodani have had the life torn out of them and four sectors of their space is now the Zhodani Autonomous Republic, which allows me to bring in all sorts of Zhodani stuff without it being just the "enemy", like Zhodani Free Traders. The Solomani were reincorporated into the Empire through a short war, but as an independent Solomani Republic with the help of Solomani moderates though a "Personal Union" between the Emperor, where they recognize the Emperor as their Emperor as well. This lessens the sort of fascist image of the Solomani and again allows there to be Solomani around without being the enemy, however the extremist do have an anti-Imperial faction called "Sol Invictus" - The Unconquered Sun. Solomani are also co-belligerents in the war against the Hivers-K'Kree, Aslan were on their side as well but they were beaten. The Imperium has also expaned into Vargr territory, so there are alot of Vargr immigrants into the Marches, a byproduct of fighting with the Zho's.

That's just a quick overview; very nice sections on the Terran military in your follow up posts, I should form my scattered notes into a more stable milieu.

Thanks, I'm collecting and organizing my hand written materials into a coherent form so i can give the players a copy of a "Players Guide" and have a more comprehensive "Referee's Guide" for myself. That way I just have to hand a thumb drive with the packet to a new player and he'll have all the background history, color, and data needed to play in my game. All he has to provide are the CT rulebooks if borrowing mine isn't enough.

So since I'm going to the trouble of doing all that I'm also making it all sound more ... authentic might work, by writing it in a less rules-sounding format. The historical or background detail is first, then the rules data after. Plus I'm adding Traveller-esque bookcovers to the files to round it all out from the LBB book generator: http://zho.berka.com/goodies/lbb_render.html

A sample:

3 Settings...The Rift, The Frontier, and The Terran Empire: detailed background and maps on each region I have for play.
TheTerranEmpire.gif

A compendium of military ships and non-starships:...and not all the info goes here - some stuff might just be marked "unknown" or "classified"
JanesWarbook.gif

And for all my house rules and other player-confounding fun to supplement the original rules: ie., weapon tables, expanded combat tables for ships, various myriad rulings, etc..
HouseRules.gif

The info on my military, excerpts were in the above posts, (for the Terran Empire) went into here:
ImperialForcescgi.gif

And info on civilian craft, including all my deckplans goes here, including any house rules on ship purchasing, insurance, operating costs, etc...:
CivilianShipsandBoats.gif

Last edited:
Back