• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

GMing Classic Traveller

Originally posted by Supplement Four:
No Attacks If Running

Here's something interesting. Look at pg. 33 of Book 1. A character is not allowed to attack if he runs during the round.

Traveller always stood out from fantasy RPGs in the way that one bullet wound would really take down a character. That has a more realistic feel than watching people take half-a-dozen slugs and keep going. Maybe this is part of the same thing?

When you concentrate on speed, you can't also look where you're shooting, so it's a waste of ammo. You could maybe take a -4 DM instead, but the effect is likely to be the same. The only thing that is likely to succeed while running is suppressing fire with automatic weapons (assuming you don't trip and hit your mates, of course; that kind of mistake could make you really unpopular).

No Attacks If Running

Here's something interesting. Look at pg. 33 of Book 1. A character is not allowed to attack if he runs during the round.

Traveller always stood out from fantasy RPGs in the way that one bullet wound would really take down a character. That has a more realistic feel than watching people take half-a-dozen slugs and keep going. Maybe this is part of the same thing?

When you concentrate on speed, you can't also look where you're shooting, so it's a waste of ammo. You could maybe take a -4 DM instead, but the effect is likely to be the same. The only thing that is likely to succeed while running is suppressing fire with automatic weapons (assuming you don't trip and hit your mates, of course; that kind of mistake could make you really unpopular).

Traveller is a creative endeavor. These are some of the tools a GM has to separate his campaign from the stale and create a living breathing universe for his players to romp around in.

Look at that quote from the last page of Book 3.

My point, in this whole thread, is that a GM doesn't have to sit around and only use published material. Change it. Mold it. Make it your own.

This is really a big aspect of Traveller.

If a GM reads Dune and gets excited about the Bene Gesserit in that book, then create them in your game. You can slap together a couple of skill tables! It's easy. Just think what would be important to the BG's (Brawling comes to mind), and create the new career.

If a GM re-watches Star Wars and wants to create the Psionic Knights for his campaign, based on the Jedi, then do it.

You've got the tools to do it.

Just do it.

And..have fun.
I'm a little late for this thread, but...Hear hear!

The change in RPGs over the years reminds me of a similar trend in PC gaming. When the technology was in its infancy, we had very few games with rudimentary graphics (if any at all). Our imaginations drove our enjoyment of the games and we inferred much of the action and drama based on a few simple dynamics. Now we have dedicated gaming consoles with movie-quality graphics and sound, leaving nothing to the imagination - spoon-feeding us our entertainment.

Obviously the same could be said for books vs television and movies.

Egad - I sound like such an old man!

Traveller is a creative endeavor. These are some of the tools a GM has to separate his campaign from the stale and create a living breathing universe for his players to romp around in.

Look at that quote from the last page of Book 3.

My point, in this whole thread, is that a GM doesn't have to sit around and only use published material. Change it. Mold it. Make it your own.

This is really a big aspect of Traveller.

If a GM reads Dune and gets excited about the Bene Gesserit in that book, then create them in your game. You can slap together a couple of skill tables! It's easy. Just think what would be important to the BG's (Brawling comes to mind), and create the new career.

If a GM re-watches Star Wars and wants to create the Psionic Knights for his campaign, based on the Jedi, then do it.

You've got the tools to do it.

Just do it.

And..have fun.
I'm a little late for this thread, but...Hear hear!

The change in RPGs over the years reminds me of a similar trend in PC gaming. When the technology was in its infancy, we had very few games with rudimentary graphics (if any at all). Our imaginations drove our enjoyment of the games and we inferred much of the action and drama based on a few simple dynamics. Now we have dedicated gaming consoles with movie-quality graphics and sound, leaving nothing to the imagination - spoon-feeding us our entertainment.

Obviously the same could be said for books vs television and movies.

Egad - I sound like such an old man!

Which skill do you think is used for firing weapons when piloting small craft?

I'm thinking Ship's Boat skill is used for both piloting and firing the craft's weapons.

According to pg. 40 of Book 2, it looks like small craft always use a -1 DM when firing weapons and gunner skill cannot be used.

On pg. 17 of Book 2, it says the small craft pilot fires weapons at a -1 skill level.

How I read those two entries is this: Small craft use Ship's Boat skill for both piloting and small craft gunnery, but firing weapons is performed at Ship's Boat minus one level.

Which skill do you think is used for firing weapons when piloting small craft?

I'm thinking Ship's Boat skill is used for both piloting and firing the craft's weapons.

According to pg. 40 of Book 2, it looks like small craft always use a -1 DM when firing weapons and gunner skill cannot be used.

On pg. 17 of Book 2, it says the small craft pilot fires weapons at a -1 skill level.

How I read those two entries is this: Small craft use Ship's Boat skill for both piloting and small craft gunnery, but firing weapons is performed at Ship's Boat minus one level.

Basically, yes. Book 5 states that small craft weapons are assumed to be fixed mounts, therefore for all except missiles the weapons are aimed by aiming the craft! This takes Ship's Boat skill.

Missiles still maneuver, but without a large computer to run "auto-evade", the pilot has to pay attention to flying, and has no time to program or control the missile, therefore it is fired by the computer.

If the craft has a second console that can be configured for weapons control, then a second person can apply their Gunnery skills for missiles (but not the other weapons).

I personally would allow a 50+ ton fighter to have one 1-space turret [still requires 1 ton], which must be operated by a second crewman, the Gunner.

Basically, yes. Book 5 states that small craft weapons are assumed to be fixed mounts, therefore for all except missiles the weapons are aimed by aiming the craft! This takes Ship's Boat skill.

Missiles still maneuver, but without a large computer to run "auto-evade", the pilot has to pay attention to flying, and has no time to program or control the missile, therefore it is fired by the computer.

If the craft has a second console that can be configured for weapons control, then a second person can apply their Gunnery skills for missiles (but not the other weapons).

I personally would allow a 50+ ton fighter to have one 1-space turret [still requires 1 ton], which must be operated by a second crewman, the Gunner.

...a post I wrote in another thread, but it seems very appropriate to this thread on GMing Classic Traveller as well. So, I break the rules and double post....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally posted by Plankowner:
The modern world is already moving to electronic legal signatures etc. I think that in the next 5000 years, fully electronic legal documents will be around. I don't know that there would be much need for actual physical paperwork to move between the stars.
This is a good point to illuminate.

Classic Traveller is so old (and many other versions of Traveller too) that sometimes the same idea in the rules can be used, but it should be updated a bit.

For example, the computer rules and starship combat in CT. I still use the rules as-is, but do I think the computer is this huge, room-sized thing that is typically situated next to the bridge? Nope. That room that shows up on CT deck plans is a nerve-center room for the computer in my game. The computer itself is spread throughout the ship--a network so integral to the ship that it cannot be separated from it. Several CPUs govern several computers throughout the vessel, from the computer that analyzes a type of sensor data, to the computer that monitors the jump field, to the computer that simply opens and closes a hatch automatically as a crewmember approaches it.

Same thing goes for the "Space" requirement of the computer. Do I play as if these computer programs are so huge that the computer can't actaually store them? No. The "Space" requirement is actually a measure of the drain on the ship's RAM-analog. These programs are actually multiple programs that interact with various systems on the ship. Running them all-together is a massive drain on ship's computer resources, thus the "Space" restriction.

And, let's not forget "jump cassettes". Yes, I have them in my game, but are they actually casettes with jump coordinates on magnetic tape? Nope. In French, the term "cassette" means "small box". So, in my game, when you buy a jump cassette, you're paying the starport to calculate jump coordinates for you, and they lump all these coordinates that they generate for you into a "small box" for you to take with you to your ship.

Of course, you don't go and actually pick up the cassette and physically take it to your ship. The data is transferred to your ship wirelessly while its sits in dock. The data stream is delivered in a small packet...a small box...you guessed it...a cassette.

I haven't changed any of these rules. I'm using them just like they were used back in 1977 when CT hit the shelves.

It's just that I think of the rules differently. In 1977, I'm sure players thought of jump cassettes as something that was physically picked up and inserted to a drive somewhere on the bridge. Here I am, 30 years later, using the exact same rule, but considering the term "cassette" describes the wireless information packet the ship receives from the starport.

Same exact rule. Different way of thinking about it.

...a post I wrote in another thread, but it seems very appropriate to this thread on GMing Classic Traveller as well. So, I break the rules and double post....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally posted by Plankowner:
The modern world is already moving to electronic legal signatures etc. I think that in the next 5000 years, fully electronic legal documents will be around. I don't know that there would be much need for actual physical paperwork to move between the stars.
This is a good point to illuminate.

Classic Traveller is so old (and many other versions of Traveller too) that sometimes the same idea in the rules can be used, but it should be updated a bit.

For example, the computer rules and starship combat in CT. I still use the rules as-is, but do I think the computer is this huge, room-sized thing that is typically situated next to the bridge? Nope. That room that shows up on CT deck plans is a nerve-center room for the computer in my game. The computer itself is spread throughout the ship--a network so integral to the ship that it cannot be separated from it. Several CPUs govern several computers throughout the vessel, from the computer that analyzes a type of sensor data, to the computer that monitors the jump field, to the computer that simply opens and closes a hatch automatically as a crewmember approaches it.

Same thing goes for the "Space" requirement of the computer. Do I play as if these computer programs are so huge that the computer can't actaually store them? No. The "Space" requirement is actually a measure of the drain on the ship's RAM-analog. These programs are actually multiple programs that interact with various systems on the ship. Running them all-together is a massive drain on ship's computer resources, thus the "Space" restriction.

And, let's not forget "jump cassettes". Yes, I have them in my game, but are they actually casettes with jump coordinates on magnetic tape? Nope. In French, the term "cassette" means "small box". So, in my game, when you buy a jump cassette, you're paying the starport to calculate jump coordinates for you, and they lump all these coordinates that they generate for you into a "small box" for you to take with you to your ship.

Of course, you don't go and actually pick up the cassette and physically take it to your ship. The data is transferred to your ship wirelessly while its sits in dock. The data stream is delivered in a small packet...a small box...you guessed it...a cassette.

I haven't changed any of these rules. I'm using them just like they were used back in 1977 when CT hit the shelves.

It's just that I think of the rules differently. In 1977, I'm sure players thought of jump cassettes as something that was physically picked up and inserted to a drive somewhere on the bridge. Here I am, 30 years later, using the exact same rule, but considering the term "cassette" describes the wireless information packet the ship receives from the starport.

Same exact rule. Different way of thinking about it.

Do GMs fiddle with equipment enough?

I would suspect not.

I suspect that most GMs use the equipment listed in the books "as-is", copied directly onto the character's sheet.

These pieces of equipment (and weapons too) were meant to be used as examples, baselines, inspiration for GMs to create their own stuff.

I think, too often in the modern world of gaming, GMs are loathe to create their own designs.

Let me direct your attention to pg 17 of LBB3. There, it states that the items listed are described as if they were manufactured in a TL 10+ interstellar society. Should the players visit a lower tech world and buy something, then it is suggested that the items be altered. They should be both bulkier and inexpensive.

I think this idea has become diluted in later versions of Traveller, and I think that many GMs will be surprised when they read what I wrote above on pg. 17 of LBB 3.

So, if the characters are on Aramis, a TL B planet in the Spinward Marches, and a mechanical tool set is purchased, then GMs should consider using the set of tools as is--necessary for making many task rolls involving the Mechanical skill.

But, let's say the crew travels one parsec to TL 4 Pysadi, and there they buy some binoculars. Should those binoculars purchased on Pysaidi be the same as those purchased on Aramis? I mean, binoculars are TL 3, so both societies can easily produce them.

According to what's stated on pg 17 of LBB 3, the TL 3 binoculars purchased on Aramis should closely resemble the description in LBB 3. But, the ones purchased on Pysadi should be bulkier and heavier and probably cost more as well.

Think of the big, heavy, bulking binoculars that were available in WWI, then compare that to the light, fit-in-your-pocket binocs, made in a synthetic case, that you can pick up at your local sporting goods store today.

Both binocs can be manufactured at TL 3, but those manufactured at a higher tech level are vastly different from the introductory versions.

This is something for GMs to keep in mind.

Do GMs fiddle with equipment enough?

I would suspect not.

I suspect that most GMs use the equipment listed in the books "as-is", copied directly onto the character's sheet.

These pieces of equipment (and weapons too) were meant to be used as examples, baselines, inspiration for GMs to create their own stuff.

I think, too often in the modern world of gaming, GMs are loathe to create their own designs.

Let me direct your attention to pg 17 of LBB3. There, it states that the items listed are described as if they were manufactured in a TL 10+ interstellar society. Should the players visit a lower tech world and buy something, then it is suggested that the items be altered. They should be both bulkier and inexpensive.

I think this idea has become diluted in later versions of Traveller, and I think that many GMs will be surprised when they read what I wrote above on pg. 17 of LBB 3.

So, if the characters are on Aramis, a TL B planet in the Spinward Marches, and a mechanical tool set is purchased, then GMs should consider using the set of tools as is--necessary for making many task rolls involving the Mechanical skill.

But, let's say the crew travels one parsec to TL 4 Pysadi, and there they buy some binoculars. Should those binoculars purchased on Pysaidi be the same as those purchased on Aramis? I mean, binoculars are TL 3, so both societies can easily produce them.

According to what's stated on pg 17 of LBB 3, the TL 3 binoculars purchased on Aramis should closely resemble the description in LBB 3. But, the ones purchased on Pysadi should be bulkier and heavier and probably cost more as well.

Think of the big, heavy, bulking binoculars that were available in WWI, then compare that to the light, fit-in-your-pocket binocs, made in a synthetic case, that you can pick up at your local sporting goods store today.

Both binocs can be manufactured at TL 3, but those manufactured at a higher tech level are vastly different from the introductory versions.

This is something for GMs to keep in mind.

GMs should also consider altering equipment and weapons just to make the game more interesting. A certain company on Aramis might be known for their tools. Most mechanical tool sets are simply required to attempt tasks using the Mechanical skill. But this company on Aramis, They really know how to make tools! If you pick up a mechanical tool set from them, you get a +1 DM on all your Mechanical skill based tasks!

Don't be afraid to make weapons unique. Change the range mods a tad. Alter weight. Think of accessories that are desireable for the weapon. Come up with alternate ammunition. Maybe modifications are needed to the weapon to use alternate ammo (a bigger bore?). Maybe certain versions of the weapon by specific manufacturers have ammo clips that hole more ammo.

"This Armington-Sturgeon bolt-action rilfe comes stock with a scope. The butt is actually made from a ceramic material, believe it or not, that makes it lighter than most weapons of its class. There's a special design holding breach unique to this weapon that preps the round before it is fired. A&S believe this all but eliminates misfires, but in effect, what it does is allow the weapon to carry two extra rounds of ammunition when fully loaded--and extra one in the prep-breach, and one in the barrell. This weapon has a shorter barrell than most rifles of its class, filling a need for mid-range target rifles. The weapon receives a +1 DM at Medium range but is -1 DM at Long and Very Long."

You get the idea.

Players in D&D get attached to their vorpal weapons. Well, create something in your game that will excite them as well.

When the pick an SMG off a dead guard, don't just call it an SMG and go on the game. Describe the weapon. Maybe make it unique in some ways. Players might even start to reconize weapon manufacturers that they like.

You could even do the opposite. Create weapons by a cheap get'em-out-the-door manufacturer. Maybe these weapons are prone to misfire. If you do, you'll get situations like this in your game, "What he carryin'?"

"Looks like an SMG of sorts."

"Check the brand. Recognize it?"

"Looks definitely imported. Wait...it's a STUDZ MULTI-GUNN."

"STUDZ-MULTIGUNN? Forget it. It's trash. Check his other equipment."

I've focused on weapons, but my point here can easily be applied to almost any type of equipment.

This kind of stuff can even lead to the "pull" of an adventure.

GMs should also consider altering equipment and weapons just to make the game more interesting. A certain company on Aramis might be known for their tools. Most mechanical tool sets are simply required to attempt tasks using the Mechanical skill. But this company on Aramis, They really know how to make tools! If you pick up a mechanical tool set from them, you get a +1 DM on all your Mechanical skill based tasks!

Don't be afraid to make weapons unique. Change the range mods a tad. Alter weight. Think of accessories that are desireable for the weapon. Come up with alternate ammunition. Maybe modifications are needed to the weapon to use alternate ammo (a bigger bore?). Maybe certain versions of the weapon by specific manufacturers have ammo clips that hole more ammo.

"This Armington-Sturgeon bolt-action rilfe comes stock with a scope. The butt is actually made from a ceramic material, believe it or not, that makes it lighter than most weapons of its class. There's a special design holding breach unique to this weapon that preps the round before it is fired. A&S believe this all but eliminates misfires, but in effect, what it does is allow the weapon to carry two extra rounds of ammunition when fully loaded--and extra one in the prep-breach, and one in the barrell. This weapon has a shorter barrell than most rifles of its class, filling a need for mid-range target rifles. The weapon receives a +1 DM at Medium range but is -1 DM at Long and Very Long."

You get the idea.

Players in D&D get attached to their vorpal weapons. Well, create something in your game that will excite them as well.

When the pick an SMG off a dead guard, don't just call it an SMG and go on the game. Describe the weapon. Maybe make it unique in some ways. Players might even start to reconize weapon manufacturers that they like.

You could even do the opposite. Create weapons by a cheap get'em-out-the-door manufacturer. Maybe these weapons are prone to misfire. If you do, you'll get situations like this in your game, "What he carryin'?"

"Looks like an SMG of sorts."

"Check the brand. Recognize it?"

"Looks definitely imported. Wait...it's a STUDZ MULTI-GUNN."

"STUDZ-MULTIGUNN? Forget it. It's trash. Check his other equipment."

I've focused on weapons, but my point here can easily be applied to almost any type of equipment.

This kind of stuff can even lead to the "pull" of an adventure.

Back