• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Gravitic technology and infrastructure

What I can't buy into is the idea that one can dump so many gravitons into jump space that they achieve a density that could serve as an energy reserve. "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is." It's a bit like peeing into the ocean, which is essentially what 90% of humanity does.

If supernovae and black holes and the various scifi anomoly of the week stuff isn't creating enough gravitons to flood jump space, what can our tiny little machines do? Yes, anything the ancients built over millions of years would still be tiny compared to stars and black holes (or we'd actually see them from here). 'Coz galactic core black holes are that mind-bogglingly big, man.

Well Grandfather made jumpspace right? So at some tech/understanding level this stuff is manipulable, even if you have create your own dimension with it's own rules to do it.

No. Grandfather did not create jump space as far as we know from canon sources that I can find. I do believe he was the first to invent a way to make jump travel work.

What follows is pure conjecture on my part, but it is heavily influenced by canon 'events'. It is my postulation that he invented some sort of interface with the higher dimensions that make not only jump travel but also various psionic effects possible.

This consisted of him first of all researching psionics, higher dimensions and how psionic individuals actually interact with the higher dimension

(Grandfather came to the realisation that the psionic potential of animals, plants and intelligent beings in his part of space were the results of some much older civilisation's technological gift to the galaxy)

The next step was to detonate a device that would allow for machine interface with higher dimensions, in effect allowing the mechanical jump drive to become a possibility. This device produced a light speed wave that spread from the point of detonation and behind its wavefront jump travel is now possible
(original idea stolen from the Empress Wave, T5 reality manipulation technology gives me a handwave to explain it in universe)
The final step was to start building jump engines and refining their technology...

Last edited:
Hmmm, that would make a 3D jump space, not a quasi-planar jump space.
Multi-point detonation. Main charge with two shaping charges - one above, one below - to reflect and direct ('squish') the blast pattern into a horizontal plane (mostly).

TDX - explosives that put out a blast wave perpendicular to local gravity. This has been a know Traveller technology since the early days.

My issue with pumping any kind of energy source into space to be collected by ships and used for propulsion is that energy and particles diffuse with the square of the distance traveled. It's highly inefficient, unless you're broadcasting the energy in tight, coherent beams (and even that loses energy over distance).

Aha! This is why Jumpspace is 2-D! Because a 3-D Jumpspace would follow the inverse square rule--but in a 2-D Jumpspace the intensity falls off only with the inverse rule--linearly!

See??? It all makes a weird sort of sense. :rofl:

My job is done here. Time for a break. :coffeegulp:

Back