• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Handling Adult themes in Traveller with Robots?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
I just got the Robot Handbook yesterday for MgT2e22. Between Superior Androids, Clones of a Celebrity forced grown (it's in the book), and Impersonator 'Bots, just Robots alone could drop a Referee into some very Adult roleplaying for NPCs.

As I mentioned Superior Androids there's this quote: "allowing an android at TL14 with a Very Advanced brain to pass as a member of its emulated species."

Pleasure 'Bots aren't even mentioned in the book (as far as I can tell), but Sci-Fi is filled with FemBots and Sexual Models, and seems to be just a matter of programming for a couple of these 'Bots. And just a matter of time before a Player wants one.

And then there's Zombie 'Bots. With implications of Zombie 'Bot armies in Horror adventures as well as other implications.

Plus War 'Bots and even Fighting 'Bots during peacetime for Gambling and Thuggery.

How have you handled Robots before and how will you handle them now when they get you into the Adult part of gaming?

This is where I drop in Are 'Friends' Electric? by Tubeway Army (Gary Numan) (1979).
...because it's the first hit song about a robot prostitute. (Yes, it's perfectly safe for work.)

"You know I hate to ask
But are 'friends' electric?
Only mine's broke down
And now I've no-one to love"

I just got the Robot Handbook yesterday for MgT2e22. Between Superior Androids, Clones of a Celebrity forced grown (it's in the book), and Impersonator 'Bots, just Robots alone could drop a Referee into some very Adult roleplaying for NPCs.

As I mentioned Superior Androids there's this quote: "allowing an android at TL14 with a Very Advanced brain to pass as a member of its emulated species."

Pleasure 'Bots aren't even mentioned in the book (as far as I can tell), but Sci-Fi is filled with FemBots and Sexual Models, and seems to be just a matter of programming for a couple of these 'Bots. And just a matter of time before a Player wants one.

And then there's Zombie 'Bots. With implications of Zombie 'Bot armies in Horror adventures as well as other implications.

Plus War 'Bots and even Fighting 'Bots during peacetime for Gambling and Thuggery.

How have you handled Robots before and how will you handle them now when they get you into the Adult part of gaming?
With any adult themes it is usually "fade to black" for someone doing something, as long as it isn't too weird.

This is where I drop in Are 'Friends' Electric? by Tubeway Army (Gary Numan) (1979).
...because it's the first hit song about a robot prostitute. (Yes, it's perfectly safe for work.)

"You know I hate to ask
But are 'friends' electric?
Only mine's broke down
And now I've no-one to love"

Definite 'Devo' vibe there.
Pretty good startown band there.
(and I just noticed the singers name)

I'm really surprised that, with D&D having so many books about Sex, and even Romance, in their gaming (eBook of Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, Published Book of Erotic Fantasy, or Published Tome of Endless Romance to name a few) that no one has made something like that for Traveller or other Sci-Fi games. I'm not sure there's even organizations mentioned in passing like the Companion's Guild in Firefly.

EDIT: And I forgot about Hentai and tentacle erotica.

Of course, with the Horror aspect I brought up, there's Mothership, Screams among the Stars, and the ALIEN rpg, plus others that could get incorporated into Traveller.

I do like the idea of Robotic Zombies, which is just slightly less gruesome than the ones with half of their head cut off in the Star Wars Solo movie called the Decraniated. But if you can get workers that you don't have to give a retirement to... Anyway, that would make an army that's almost undefeatable without WMDs.

Last edited:
I have a very simple rule that has served me well, apart from the fortnight ban at rpgnet because this view is considered anti-woke.

No real world religion, politics or sexual practices discussed at the table or included in a character's backstory. Keep it PG to R (due to violence and profanity).

My take on it is that -- as far as my writing goes, anyhow -- Marc wants to keep the game PG, so I'll keep it PG. Close the door, point the camera elsewhere, change the scene to stormy weather or fireworks or a meteor shower or something else symbolic, whatever. Might even go to literal game mechanics for comic value (break the fourth wall and openly describe rolling the activities as a purely generic task and argue over the appropriate DMs). Model it on what I'm used to from the classic juveniles, but with as much of the sexism of that era eliminated as possible (knowing I'll inevitably miss something).

For IRL gaming, I'll let anyone call a halt if it's uncomfortable for them.

Nonconsent/violence -- if it comes up -- gets a "Bad things happen(ed), and that's all the detail necessary" statement.

Last edited:
Close the door, point the camera elsewhere, change the scene to stormy weather or fireworks or a meteor shower or something else symbolic, whatever.
dmpBCon.png

Nice Boat meme.

Nothing to do with robots/androids, however, I thought this was a similar situation I have had to deal with concerning MTU, and the trafficking of illegal clones.
My take on it is... it happens.
It takes away from actual game play time, and I do my best to avoid it. However, the 'honey trap' is a powerful tool in the right situation, and I do not shy away from it if it will advance the scenario.
I just take the participants out of play.
(Wink, wink, nudge, nudge)

Robots, clones, synthetics, chimera, there’s going to be Bad Sophonts out there doing Bad Things to and with them, possibly taking advantage of legal loopholes that allow them to traffick & exploit in ways they can’t legally do with sophonts.
This is the sort of opportunity the players have to be the good guys, heroic even, while still introducing dilemmas & twists.
PC: “You’re free to chose your own path in life now.”
NPC: “But I’ve been designed for this life. I have nothing else to do nor place to go. Will you care for us all now?”
PC: “Errrr…”
NPC: “we know how to look after you properly.”
PC: “Yeeeaaahhhh, let me get back to you on that” 😬

Back