• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Hard science

Takei

SOC-13
Page 7, "Nobody really understands how it works, but it (usually) gets you where you're going."
comes across more as space opera than hard SF. Maybe delete this line.

I know what you're saying but isn't it the case in Traveller that they genuinely don't completely know how Jump Space works?

Originally posted by BenBell:
I know what you're saying but isn't it the case in Traveller that they genuinely don't completely know how Jump Space works?
You're probably right, but I think it could be stated in a more 'hard science' manner. I've spent too much time playing office politics, and some reviewer (or potential T20 customer) will pick up on the contradiction.

Originally posted by Takei:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BenBell:
You're probably right, but I think it could be stated in a more 'hard science' manner. I've spent too much time playing office politics, and some reviewer (or potential T20 customer) will pick up on the contradiction.</font>[/QUOTE]So what you want is something more along the lines of:

"While physicists are still trying to determine the structure and properties of Jumpspace, merchants, the military, and travellers of all types know that it will get them there"

T'Sarith DeGaalth

Originally posted by T'Sarith DeGaalth:
So what you want is something more along the lines of:

"While physicists are still trying to determine the structure and properties of Jumpspace, merchants, the military, and travellers of all types know that it will get them there"

T'Sarith DeGaalth[/QB]
Indeed! Something like that.

Originally posted by Takei:
Page 7, "Nobody really understands how it works, but it (usually) gets you where you're going."
comes across more as space opera than hard SF. Maybe delete this line.
It seems to me that -- at least as far as space drives are concerned -- Traveller is more Space Opera than Hard SF. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's quite well-done Space opera. However, Traveller maneuver and jump drives do not observe known physical laws and don't even work by currently plausible loopholes. That seems to let it out of the Hard SF label.

Not knowing how it works isn't that hard to believe, for me. Most Americans don't know how a light-switch works; it's PFM to them. Considering science is still trying to figure out how bees actually manage to fly and what gravity actually IS, assuming that most people in the Imperium don't know how/why jump-drives do what they do doesn't seem so bad to me.

I do like the suggested new line better, though.

Originally posted by Tom Schoene:
It seems to me that -- at least as far as space drives are concerned -- Traveller is more Space Opera than Hard SF. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's quite well-done Space opera. However, Traveller maneuver and jump drives do not observe known physical laws and don't even work by currently plausible loopholes. That seems to let it out of the Hard SF label.[/QB]
Quite true. Does this mean it should be defined as Hard Space Opera?

Originally posted by lord irial:
Not knowing how it works isn't that hard to believe, for me. Most Americans don't know how a light-switch works; it's PFM to them. Considering science is still trying to figure out how bees actually manage to fly and what gravity actually IS, assuming that most people in the Imperium don't know how/why jump-drives do what they do doesn't seem so bad to me.

I do like the suggested new line better, though.
PFM?

Originally posted by Nightshade:
PFM?
Pure F#@%ing Magic.

In regards to how the jumpdrives work, I do like how Gene Rodenberry put it, explaining why the crew of the Enterprise didn't go into extensive expositions each episode on how the warpdrive worked: "Do most people driving a car talk about how the internal combustion engine works?"

Simon Jester

>"Do most people driving a car talk about how the internal combustion engine works?"

>Simon Jester

Reminds me of a sorority sister my mom told me about, who asked her "Where does all that gasoline go anyway?"

Thomas :rolleyes:

Traveller always has been space opera If you want to get away from reality, then why not a space opera with history. You flip a switch, you don't think why it light the room, you problably don't even think of the power bill, but you are upset when you hit your shin in the dark if it doesn't work right. Jump space is the same way. The engineers who work on them know what keeps them working, but do they know the theory behind it, do they have to know the theory? Or is it good enough for them to flip the switch and see the stars go by.

Back