• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Headroom

Vac Suits are good reason to keep things from getting too cramped. You also need to consider that the passageways will the only way to get large equipment in or out. I don't stick to the 2.5M cielings religiously. IF there are places where the hull need cieling lower, I let it, I also add in pipes and structural items where necessary.

I consider that many people in the imperium will grow unusually tall (or short) and that they have to be accomodated.

I'd also double the size of bulk head on larger ships to .4 m thick on ships larger 800 tons, and double them again on ships larger than 5000 tons.

2.3-2.4 m is good enough for most published human minors.

Now, the problem is that several human minors are considerably shorter than norm, so I would expect the issue to also include dual controls.

A good standard to use, IMO, would be sufficient space for the average larger gender individual of the intended species to be able to stand flat-footed and barely be able to place raised hands over the head. Place electronic controls at 1/3 and 2/3 the cieling height, both sides of doorframe, both sides of door. This helps bth for children, and for 0-g ops.

I've always assumed that most human minors have standard design variants designed for themselves...

One other thing: I suspect most ships will have most of the piping, power and data lines behind covers, if not in jefferies-tube like passages... for the simple reason of making it harder to sabotage them.

simply design around the ADA (americans with disabilities act)....call the imperium equivalent something like 'Imperial Architecture Standard' (IAS).

the ADA covers everything from hallways to handrails to restrooms

any good libray/bookstore/internet search should give you lots of good info

Back