• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

High Credits, Low Weight Cargo

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Honestly, I don't know if this is done somewhere else, but I thought I'd give it a shot. When your Detached Duty Scout or Free Trader who needs some extra funds has a small open spot in their cargo hold.

_____

High Credits, Low Weight Cargo
When your Cargo Hold is small, but your ship is fast.
Ask your Broker for these fine goods cargos.
Many of these goods are not bought and sold.
Your cargo hold is being chartered for the trip.

Roll a 1d6.
Odds are Perishable Goods.
Evens are Non-Perishable Goods.

Perishable Goods (1d6)

1.) Illicit Goods
- Certain goods that may be banned by a religion or other organization. But not Illegal.

2.) Prisoners
- This could be a transfer of a a Prisoner between Worlds or Security Forces. Or something less legal.

3.) Rare Spices
- Mainly flavoring enhancements for food or aphrodisiacs.

4.) Ultra-expensive Foods
- A wine aged for 327 years, an Aslan caviar, Terran catnip.

5.) Wild Animals
- Possibly for a Zoo or a rich Noble.

6.) Museum-worthy Relics
- Relics recently bought by the Museum of Rhylanor, The Royal finery of an extinct race.

Non-Perishable Goods (1d6)

1.) Engineering Prototypes
- These are manufactured items that may be dangerous or lucrative. A Transparent Globe

2.) Exotic Curiosities
- These are strange items that may only be found or produced on one or a few Worlds

3.) Classified Documents or Information
- Analyses of Enemy movement, the Emperor's bathroom schedule, schematics for a Jump-7 Drive

4.) Jewelry
- a necklace for the Duchess of Deneb

5.) Artwork
- the only Picasso in the Spinward Marches, a Llellewyloly sculpture

6.) Illegal Cargo
- Guns, drugs, stolen goods.

Information. Nothing can be more valuable and take up less space than that...

Details of various corrupt and criminal activities by the rich and powerful that could bring them down...
Military intelligence that could lead to or prevent a war...
Insider knowledge of the market that could make you millions...

That's real power there!

I'm a LBB junkie, so I go to Book 3.

Okay, it's actually The Traveller Book, but close enough. Page 105.

A few are potentially very profitable. Some could be broken down into sub-ton packages (p104).

#16 Radioactives
#41 Gems
#53 Computers (e.g. a Model/2).
#66 (Vacc Suit) is per item, not per ton. I believe that is one of THE MOST profitable cargos you could stash in corners of your ship.

I would say pharmaceuticals. I am taking a medication that runs a Dollar a pill, and there is probably a thousand pills in a kilogram. Based on one of my Traveller Game Resource Cards, the value of a one credit is equal to the price of a snack. Most snacks these days seem to run about $2, so I figure a credit is worth about $2, so that would be 500 Credits per kilogram of the medication I am on. I suspect that you could get about 5 metric tons of pharmaceuticals per Traveller dTon of space, and as they would be in cases, you could stash them wherever you have a spot.

Five tons of pharmaceuticals should be worth about 2.5 Million credits. Charge the shipper 10 per cent of the value of the cargo, and you clear 250,000 Credits. That is not a bad profit. It would likely cover the ship's cost, both mortgage and operating costs for a mont if you are operating a Free Trader. For a Scout Courier, with no monthly payment and only operating costs to cover, you would be set for several months.

I would say pharmaceuticals. I am taking a medication that runs a Dollar a pill, and there is probably a thousand pills in a kilogram. Based on one of my Traveller Game Resource Cards, the value of a one credit is equal to the price of a snack. Most snacks these days seem to run about $2, so I figure a credit is worth about $2, so that would be 500 Credits per kilogram of the medication I am on. I suspect that you could get about 5 metric tons of pharmaceuticals per Traveller dTon of space, and as they would be in cases, you could stash them wherever you have a spot.

Five tons of pharmaceuticals should be worth about 2.5 Million credits. Charge the shipper 10 per cent of the value of the cargo, and you clear 250,000 Credits. That is not a bad profit. It would likely cover the ship's cost, both mortgage and operating costs for a mont if you are operating a Free Trader. For a Scout Courier, with no monthly payment and only operating costs to cover, you would be set for several months.
High tech medicine is a very valuable trade good. Here's a campaign idea: the local powers want to improve the health of a region on a low tech world. The players are can move in some of the public health equipment, and possibly parts for a hospital, or are working on the team.

Not just pharmaceuticals, drugs of other sorts as well. The British sold Opium to the Chinese to buy tea, and though we may obfuscate about it, caffeine is a drug. Also, the use of rum and whiskey as trade goods as well. More portable than the raw materials, and often wanted by people.

High tech medicine is a very valuable trade good. Here's a campaign idea: the local powers want to improve the health of a region on a low tech world. The players are can move in some of the public health equipment, and possibly parts for a hospital, or are working on the team.

Set it up so they have to smuggle the goods in and they can be true Blade Runners.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bladerunner

Alien Jewelry

Alien jewelry:

1. Culturally inappropriate for non-<Alien> to be seen wearing.
2. Where do I wear this if I don't have a tail?
3. There's a love message inside the lattice of this diamond??
4. This neck torc is hollow titanium and has a hidden <MacGuffin> inside it.
5. This <Alien> signet ring was commissioned by Duke <Alien Name>. We must deliver it.
6. Um, that's not where it goes to be worn. And since the Emissary fell ill, you're his surrogate.

As you say those cargoes are not bought for selling, but the hold is charteres, I'd add the sealed box, where you don't really know what are you taking (good for adventure or red herring).

Another rare (if not unique) case would be a full coffin (died on a system, has to be buried on another one).

#66 (Vacc Suit) is per item, not per ton. I believe that is one of THE MOST profitable cargos you could stash in corners of your ship.

According TTB (I guess identical to LBB3 in this), the itens sold as single ones are those in rolls 51 to 56. All other ones are in tons....

I’d say the current ratio of credit to dollar is 1:5.
The CT credit costs (including the small ground car being a $3995 or Cr4000) can mostly be sourced from Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and various Illinois newspapers from 1976, at $1=Cr1. I actually got bored enough to check them once.
Which puts it closer to $3 per Cr1.

The CT credit costs (including the small ground car being a $3995 or Cr4000) can mostly be sourced from Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and various Illinois newspapers from 1976, at $1=Cr1. I actually got bored enough to check them once.
Which puts it closer to $3 per Cr1.
It was 3:1 for several years, but inflation has been working its’ compound magic.

In 1977 the Cr was 1:1 with USD. At ¼ hr standard wage that would make standard labor $4/hr, not quite double the minimum wage of $2.35 (iirc).

With inflation, the CPI is now 4x what it was in 1977 (well, it was before the inflation of the current global crisis). So, Cr1 = $4. A few back-of-envelope calcs will confirm that.

In 1977 the Cr was 1:1 with USD. At ¼ hr standard wage that would make standard labor $4/hr, not quite double the minimum wage of $2.35 (iirc).

With inflation, the CPI is now 4x what it was in 1977 (well, it was before the inflation of the current global crisis). So, Cr1 = $4. A few back-of-envelope calcs will confirm that.
It’s 4.5:1 by most measures, thanks to the last year it’s closer to 5.

Back