• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: House Rules for scanners / ECM

I dislike House Rules, by and large, and try to stay within the canon rules (even if not the canon setting and explanations - some of which I think are bunkum!).

However, occasionally, there is a need to supplement the rules to fill a gap, or to provide something which the players want and the rules don't cater for. And of course, part of the role of the referee is to come up with working solutions and rulings to provide the kit that the players need, that logically ought to exist, but which the rules don't provide for.

One thing that has always struck as unsatisfactory about HG combat is the lack of battlefield intelligence at the outset of any encounter. Literally all you know about the opponent's fleet, before you start firing on one another, is the relative sizes of their ships one to another. Yet sci-fi is FULL of scanning devices of various kinds which enable a ship to find out something about its adversary; and modern technology provides all sorts of devices by which intelligence on an opposing force can be gathered before battle commences. We need some rules!

What follows is my first stab at some rules; and I should be grateful if a few people would play test them and feed back on how they find them. I am happy with the basic concepts of what I have drawn up. What I need is practical experience of the balance. Do my devices draw so much energy that it is better to go blind, for instance? Cost too much (or too little) for the benefit they convey? Are they so powerful that using them is an absolute no-brainer? Are they too heavy for what they do, by comparison with other ship-board devices. Any and all views on these questions are of interest to me.

I want to fine-tune these rules until they are creating genuine ship-design quandaries. Should I have one? If so, should I have the highest factor I can have at my tech level, or settle on something less? In a tightly-packed warship, what should I leave out to make room for it? Those are the sorts of questions I want the rules to prompt.

So, as I say... please trial these rules, and let me know what you think to them :)

Sensor Arrays

Early battlefield intelligence is often the key to success or failure, and in space combat it is no different. Know your enemy is a key maxim. Detection technology is key to 21st century warfare, and is likely to remain so in the future. It features in most space-going science fiction, and it should feature in Traveller, too. In High Guard combat, all a player knows about the opposing force when battle is joined is the size sequence of the ships in the opposing line. He only discovers what weapons they are packing when they start firing on him; he only discovers what agility and computer size they have when he starts firing on them; and he only discovers what defences carry when he has scored a hit and has to roll for penetration or on the damage tables. Much of this information would have been of great assistance in determining his targets in the opening round of combat; and these rules give players a means of finding out a little more about the ships of the opposing force before they open fire.

Space craft may be fitted with sensor arrays, which are mounted in weapons bays. They may be fitted with as few or as many sensor bays as the designer wishes. Ships without sensor arrays may also be retro-fitted with sensor arrays by removing one or more weapon bays. “Sensors” are a generic concept, covering all manner of active and passive devices for detecting and analysing physical and energy use details about another space craft. It is unnecessary to descend into the specifics.

Sensor arrays count as an additional weapon type for weapon damage rules. The number of sensor arrays which may be brought to bear is limited by the ship size in the same manner as any other weapon type. A separate note should be made on the USP ship profile of the number and factor of the ship’s sensor arrays, and the number which may be brought to bear. Unlike weapon systems, a ship IS permitted to mix 50-ton and 100-ton sensor arrays, and if it does so, careful note should be made of its abilities.

Sensor arrays are treated like any other weapons bays for the purposes of determining a ship’s crew requirement.

50T bays cost MCr25 and consume 20EP
100T bays cost MCr50 and consume 35EP

The USP factor of the sensor arrays fitted is determined as follows:

50 Ton Bay:

N/A @TL 9 & 10
Factor-1 @ TL11
Factor-2 @ TL12
Factor-3 @ TL13
Factor-4 @ TL14
Factor-5 @ TL15

100T Bay:
Factor-1 @ TL-9
Factor-2 @ TL-10
Factor-4 @ TL-11
Factor-6 @ TL-12
Factor-7 @ TL-13
Factor-8 @ TL-14
Factor-9 @ TL-15

Sensor Arrays may never operate at a factor in excess of the ship’s computer number. If a ship has, say, Sensor factor-8 but computer factor-6, then its sensor array(s) will function at factor-6

Modification to High Guard combat sequence

An additional step is introduced to the Starship Combat sequence, between the Range Determination Step and the Pre-Combat Decision Step. This is the Sensor Scanning step. The players take it in turn (the player with the initiative choosing whether to go first or second) to scan opposing ships with their sensor arrays. Ships have not been sorted into a battle line and a reserve at this stage; but they should be arrayed in order of size in order to facilitate the process.

The scanning player announces, in respect of each of the opposing ships in turn, whether it is being scanned, and if so with what scanning factor. His opponent then tells him all of the information about that ship which is revealed by scanning at the relevant factor and range, as shown below.

LONG RANGE

Factor
1. Ship size code
2. Whether streamlined, partial or unstreamlined
3. Whether any added armour
4. Power Plant number
5. Whether equipped with Nuclear Damper and/or Meson Screen
6. Types of weapon mounts (spinal, bays, barbettes / turrents)
7. Number of computers on board
8. Whether equipped with Meson and/or Particle Accelerator weaponry
9. Crew code and whether any low berths on board

SHORT RANGE

Factor
1. Exact tonnage
2. Configuration code
3. Armour factor
4. M-drive number, Agility and Emergency Agility
5. Nuclear Damper factor & Meson Screen factor
6. # of 100T bays, 50T bays, barbettes and turrets
7. Factors of all computers on board
8. Factors of Meson and Particle Accelerator weaponry
9.Exact complement, and number of low berths

All factors are cumulative. Thus, a factor-4 sensor scan will reveal all the information which would have been revealed by factor-1, 2 and 3 sensor scans as well as the information revealed by a factor-4 sensor scan. Scanning at short range will reveal all of the information shown for the relevant factor in the Short Range column as well as all of the information shown for that factor in the Long Range column.

The player whose ship is being scanned is entitled to know which ship is doing the scanning; and he may draw such conclusions as he sees fit from this information.

It is to be assumed that all space craft are capable of keeping track of opposing vessels in a combat situation. A player may not, therefore, attempt to deceive his opponent into scanning the same vessel twice in successive turns by shuffling the order of identically-sized ships in his line. If he has, say, three 8,000 ton ships in his line, then he must always present them in the same order (this is best achieved by adopting a convention of, say, always presenting all identically-sized ships in alphabetical order of ship name).

Last edited:
Electronic Counter Measures

Just as a player may wish to know as much as he can find out about his opponent’s forces before he has to take battlefield decisions, so equally may he wish to prevent his opponent from finding out about his own forces. Electronic Counter Measures have always marched hand-in-hand with detection technology; and so it should be in Traveller.

There are two types of Electonic Counter Measure which a ship may carry: a Miasma device, and a Cloaking device. Broadly speaking, a Miasma device aims to produce a large amount of electronic “noise”, making it difficult for the opponent’s sensors to interpret the readings they are getting; whilst a Cloaking Device aims to mask all electronic signatures and deflect / jam the opponent’s active scanning devices, so that they obtain no readings whatever.

A ship may carry one or other or both devices. It may only make use of one device in any turn, however; and if a ship carries both the owning player must determine which device the ship is to use at the beginning of the sensor phase, before his opponent has announced whether he will scan that ship and if so with what sensor factor. If a ship has only one ECM device, it is assumed to be in use at all times.

Broadly speaking, a Miasma device is more effective against long-range scanning, whilst a Cloaking device is more effective against short-range scanning.

Each device carried counts as a Screen for the purposes of ship’s crew requirements, and for the purposes of the Ship’s Damage Tables.

Miasma Devices Table

Factor 1 TL 10 Cost MCr 50 Weight 90 Tons Consumes 5 EP
Factor 2 TL 11 Cost MCr 30 Weight 60 Tons Consumes 10 EP
Factor 3 TL 11 Cost MCr 60 Weight 90 Tons Consumes 15 EP
Factor 4 TL 12 Cost MCr 25 Weight 40 Tons Consumes 20 EP
Factor 5 TL 12 Cost MCr 50 Weight 60 Tons Consumes 25 EP
Factor 6 TL 12 Cost MCr 75 Weight 80 Tons Consumes 30 EP
Factor 7 TL 13 Cost MCr 40 Weight 30 Tons Consumes 35 EP
Factor 8 TL 14 Cost MCr 30 Weight 25 Tons Consumes 40 EP
Factor 9 TL 15 Cost MCr 20 Weight 20 Tons Consumes 45 EP

Cloaking Devices Table

Factor 1 TL 11 Weight 100 Tons Cost MCr 150 Energy Required 1%
Factor 2 TL 12 Weight 50 Tons Cost MCr 80 Energy Required 2%
Factor 3 TL 12 Weight 75 Tons Cost MCr 120 Energy Required 3%
Factor 4 TL 13 Weight 30 Tons Cost MCr 60 Energy Required 4%
Factor 5 TL 13 Weight 60 Tons Cost MCr 90 Energy Required 5%
Factor 6 TL 14 Weight 25 Tons Cost MCr 50 Energy Required 6%
Factor 7 TL 14 Weight 50 Tons Cost MCr 75 Energy Required 7%
Factor 8 TL 15 Weight 20 Tons Cost MCr 40 Energy Required 8%
Factor 9 TL 15 Weight 40 Tons Cost MCr 60 Energy Required 9%

The % figure shown is the % of the total Power Plant output required for a cloak of the given factor (round all fractions up to the nearest full Energy Point).

As with Sensor Arrays, so with ECM devices: an ECM device may not function at a higher factor than the ship’s computer number; so if a ship has 8 Miasma device, but its computer has been reduced to factor-4, the Miasma device may only operate at factor-4.

Effect of Miasma Device

Where a Miasma device is used, the owning player makes a die roll to determine whether it is effective or not before disclosing to his opponent the information revealed by his scan. The die roll required for success is 5+ on 2d6. Apply the following die roll modifiers:

If the Miasma Device has a higher factor than the scanning Sensor Array: +D
If the Sensor Array has a higher factor than the Miasma Device: -2D
If being scanned at close range: -2

D is the difference between the Miasma Device factor and the Sensor Array factor.

If the Miasma device is effective, then if the scan took place at short range, the player need only reveal the information shown in the long range column of the scan table; and if the scan took place at long range, the player need reveal nothing at all.

Effect of Cloaking Device

Where a Cloaking Device is used, calculate its effect by taking ONE HALF of the Cloaking Device factor (rounding fractions up), and ADDING the difference between the Cloaking Device Factor and the Sensor Array Factor, to obtain the Scan Modifier. The Scan Modifier can never be less than zero. If the computation produces a negative number, the Scan Modifier will be zero.

Apply the Scan Modifier to the Sensor Array factor, to determine the factor at which the scan actually takes place.

The following table tabulates all of the possible combinations of Sensor Array Factor (left-hand scale) and Cloaking Device Factor (top scale) to show the effective Scan Factor after application of the Scan Modifier

Cloak: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1....... 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2....... 2 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
3....... 3 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 0
4....... 4 4 3 2 0 0 0 0 0
5....... 5 5 5 4 2 1 0 0 0
6....... 6 6 6 6 4 3 1 0 0
7....... 7 7 7 7 6 5 3 2 0
8....... 8 8 8 8 8 7 5 4 2
9....... 9 9 9 9 9 9 7 6 4

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be better to have a separate intelligence ship, or ships, and transmit the collected info to your Fleet? (Interesting role for a "RADAR" Picket ship too.)

Also, I can see a PC mission for a "free trader" operating in peace time on intel missions while in foreign ports or around foreign ships.

After a quick read, I like it.

A few observations:

Don't have it as a Bay but as general tonnage? (See Free Trader above.) Maybe a negative DM if not in a Bay?

Give info on PP & MD BUT have the receiving player deduce for himself Agility and Emergency Agility...

Nuclear Damper and/or Meson Screen info only if operating.

Exact complement, and number of low berths is a bit much. Give them SR number and let them guess the breakdown.

Also info on SmCraft and Launch facilities should factor in.

[I think it's a good idea to receive good intel but I also think a lot of the interpretation should be left to the PC.]

Wouldn't it be better to have a separate intelligence ship, or ships, and transmit the collected info to your Fleet? (Interesting role for a "RADAR" Picket ship too.)

That's one of the design dilemmas I want to promote ... DO you have separate ships to handle this; or do you keep these functions aboard your ship?

I have long debated essentially the same question regarding boarding parties: do you equip your fighting ships with marines and carried craft; or do you have a separate "boarding ship" which stays in reserve until a boarding is possible, and then attends to the boarding while the fighting ships get on with the fighting?

I normally have the decision forced on me, by running out of space for those marines :file_21: However, the moment you put the function in a separate ship, you run the risk of a loss of functionality when a squadron gets scattered ...

Many thanks for the other comments too. Much food for thought there.

I've been looking at those weights and energy requirements, and comparing them to the computers and existing screens.

I think all of my weights are too great; and the energy usage is definitely too great for the scanning technology, and probably too great for the Miasma devices.

I remain broadly happy with the energy requirements for the Cloaking devices. If you're trying to shield out any ability to detect an energy signature then the effort required should be proportionate to the energy usage you're trying to shield out ... and it should take a lot of effort to do it, too.

Revised tables shortly.

Back