• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

House-Rules IMTU [LONG!]

I'll take a serious look at it tomorrow

From my first few reads through this, I have the following comments:

1) I think that the player should be able to choose the branch of service (atleast with a high enough SOC); however, not every branch will be available on every world, especially as law enforcement is almost always local (organizations such as SolSec are polity-wide, but are covered in other chargen rules). For example, a world with a Participant Democracy government is far less likely to have Paramilitary police forces than a Charismatic Dictatorship. Another option would be to have each branch posses it's own elistment throw an DMs, with additional DMs suggested for specific homeworlds.

2)I think that you should elaborate a little more about the choice of a Service Weapon - it's a referee call, but I think that unless a Paramilitary force is concerned, most Law Enforcement personnel will have autopistols/revolvers/shotguns/carbines/SMGs rather than military grade weapons. Another option will have to give the law enforcement force (except for Elite Forces) equipment allowed by two Law Levels less than that of the world.

3) The idea of characters going to jail in CharGen is a MegaTraveller one; in CT, a Free Trader (using LBB7: Merchant rules) could, for example, embark in piracy, but there is only the risk of death, not of imprisonment. I think that when generating CT characters, the Investigation/Imprisonment rules should be either replaced with a detailed version of the results of a failed survival roll or completely dropped for consistency. On the other hand, adding such Investigation/Court Martail rules to other CT chargens might be interesting - as I might be doing Rouges sometime in the future. That refers only to the Investigation due to certain decoration/reward rolls; I like the idea of exposing corruption during a Special Assignment as a risk factor

4) Some police forces (Israel is an RL example) use military ranks (LBB4) or a variation thereof (the Israeli police has different names for certain police ranks, but the rank structure is based on the military one), including the difference between non-comission and comissioned personnel. I think the Solar Triumvirate will use a similar system, so I'll probably use LBB4-style comission/promotion rules.

5) I think you should provide "referee recommendations" ala LBB1 for your new skills - for example, what is to be ralled, at what DMs, for common tasks using that skill.

6) It will also be nice to create another copy of all the tables in one page to speed up chargen, especially for players experienced with the system.

7) The description of the Forensics Kit and the Vehicle material benefits describes the assignment but not the object and it's use/value.

Ok, the belter generation system is almost ready. It's partially based on Merchant Prince and partially on Citizens of the Imperium; it also has several of my own ideas (turf wars between clans and miners going on strike and resulting in riots, each of this is an "assignment", ad quite a risky one at that). Survival is dificult - it was so in Citizens of the Imperium - so I think I'll include my own idea about what a failed survival roll means (wounded, spends a year in hospital, discharged, not getting mustering out benefits for the current 4-year term).

Also, it includes my own ideas on mining methods (for example, miners get Demolition and Gunnery - for using shaped charges to blow up rocks to processable chunks and for using mining lasers, respectively).

I'll post this in a few days, once I'll have it all written down.

I am very interested in seeing this Belter generation, 2-4601. I am working on one myself - though very far behind you. I'll probably just pilfer your ideas. :D

Thanks for the feedback on my Law Enforcement stuff. I'll take a look at what you said. We can discuss that later. (When i have the time.... :( )

Back