• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

How to incapacitate a Trekkie

AndyW

SOC-9
Thought I'd share some otherwise useless eye candy for QB64 users.

Code:
_TITLE "OldMoses' 3D StarField (+ & - speed) (left/right arrows turn)"

a& = _NEWIMAGE(600, 600, 32)
SCREEN a&
DO: LOOP UNTIL _SCREENEXISTS
_SCREENMOVE 50, 50
TYPE star '                                                     define the star data type
    x AS INTEGER
    y AS INTEGER
    z AS INTEGER
    r AS INTEGER
    g AS INTEGER
    b AS INTEGER
    xa AS INTEGER
    ya AS INTEGER
END TYPE

DIM SHARED max AS INTEGER: max = 500
DIM SHARED vprt AS INTEGER: vprt = 600 '                        set the viewport setback from viewer's eye
DIM SHARED p(max) AS star '                                     dimension the star data array
DIM SHARED speed AS INTEGER: speed = 2 '                        warp factor
DIM SHARED xch AS _BYTE
DIM SHARED ych AS _BYTE

PopVoid '                                                       OldMoses said "Let there be light" and the universe was, is and ever shall be
WINDOW (-300, 300)-(300, -300) '                                create viewport window, Cap'n Kirk spends his days staring at this

DO '                                                            draw the stars
    x$ = INKEY$
    IF x$ = "" THEN
        xch = 0: ych = 0
    END IF
    IF x$ = CHR$(43) THEN speed = speed + 1
    IF x$ = CHR$(45) THEN speed = speed - 1
    IF x$ = CHR$(0) + CHR$(75) THEN xch = 1
    IF x$ = CHR$(0) + CHR$(77) THEN xch = -1
    'IF x$ = CHR$(0) + CHR$(72) THEN ych = 1
    'IF x$ = CHR$(0) + CHR$(80) THEN ych = -1
    CLS
    FOR x = 1 TO max '                                          iterate through all stars
        dst = Pythagorus(p(x)) '                                distance to star
        p(x).x = p(x).x + SinCalc(p(x).z, xch * 0.3)
        'p(x).y = p(x).y + CosCalc(p(x).z, ych * 0.3) '          <<<this just doesn't work
        p(x).xa = p(x).x / dst * vprt '                         get relative screen position from absolute position for x & y
        p(x).ya = p(x).y / dst * vprt
        IF ABS(p(x).xa) < 301 AND ABS(p(x).ya) < 301 THEN '     place the star if within the viewport
            fdf& = (dst - 12952) / 8
            IF fdf& < 0 THEN fdf& = 0
            SELECT CASE dst
                CASE IS > 7500
                    PSET (p(x).xa, p(x).ya), _RGBA32(p(x).r, p(x).g, p(x).b, 255 - fdf&)
                CASE ELSE
                    FCirc p(x).xa, p(x).ya, 1, _RGBA32(p(x).r, p(x).g, p(x).b, 255)
            END SELECT
        END IF
        p(x).z = p(x).z - speed '                               move the star closer to the viewer
        IF speed < 0 THEN
            IF p(x).z > 15000 THEN ReplaceStar x, 0
        ELSE
            IF p(x).z < 0 THEN ReplaceStar x, 15000 '                      add new stars as existing ones go behind the viewer
        END IF
    NEXT x
    _DISPLAY '                                                  eliminate screen flicker
    _LIMIT 500 '                                                smooth out the action
LOOP UNTIL _KEYDOWN(27)

SUB PopVoid '                                                   Do an initial population of stars

FOR x = 1 TO max '                                          place a 'max' # of stars randomly in a 3D space
        RANDOMIZE TIMER
        p(x).x = INT(RND * 15000) - 7500
        p(x).y = INT(RND * 15000) - 7500
        p(x).z = INT(RND * 15000) + 1
        t% = INT(RND * 110) - 55
        ch = INT(RND * 6)
        IF ch < 4 THEN
            p(x).r = 200 + t%: p(x).b = 200 - t%
        ELSE
            p(x).r = 200 - t%: p(x).b = 200 + t%
        END IF
        p(x).g = 200
    NEXT x

END SUB 'PopVoid

FUNCTION Pythagorus (var1 AS star)

horizontal = _HYPOT(ABS(var1.x), ABS(var1.y)) '             Use to find distance between star and origin (viewer)
    Pythagorus = _HYPOT(horizontal, ABS(var1.z))

END FUNCTION 'Pythagorus

SUB ReplaceStar (var AS INTEGER, insert AS INTEGER) '                              This replaces any star that goes behind the viewer

RANDOMIZE TIMER
    p(var).x = INT(RND * 15000) - 7500 '                        New x,y,z but keep old color for simplicity sake
    p(var).y = INT(RND * 15000) - 7500
    p(var).z = insert

END SUB 'ReplaceStar

FUNCTION SinCalc (var1 AS _INTEGER64, var2 AS SINGLE)

'Polar coordinate X finder
    'used to find X coordinate of a speed/distance (var1) and heading/azimuth (var2)
    SinCalc = var1 * SIN(_D2R(var2))

END FUNCTION 'SinCalc

FUNCTION CosCalc (var1 AS _INTEGER64, var2 AS SINGLE)

'Polar coordinate Y finder
    'used to find Y coordinate of a speed/distance (var1) and heading/azimuth (var2)
    CosCalc = var1 * COS(_D2R(var2))

END FUNCTION 'CosCalc

SUB FCirc (CX AS INTEGER, CY AS INTEGER, RR AS INTEGER, C AS _UNSIGNED LONG)
    DIM R AS INTEGER, RError AS INTEGER
    DIM X AS INTEGER, Y AS INTEGER

R = ABS(RR)
    RError = -R
    X = R
    Y = 0
    IF R = 0 THEN PSET (CX, CY), C: EXIT SUB
    LINE (CX - X, CY)-(CX + X, CY), C, BF
    WHILE X > Y
        RError = RError + Y * 2 + 1
        IF RError >= 0 THEN
            IF X <> Y + 1 THEN
                LINE (CX - Y, CY - X)-(CX + Y, CY - X), C, BF
                LINE (CX - Y, CY + X)-(CX + Y, CY + X), C, BF
            END IF
            X = X - 1
            RError = RError - X * 2
        END IF
        Y = Y + 1
        LINE (CX - X, CY - Y)-(CX + X, CY - Y), C, BF
        LINE (CX - X, CY + Y)-(CX + X, CY + Y), C, BF
    WEND
END SUB 'FCirc

Last edited:
found a bug that would swallow my universe if I went in reverse. Fixed it now so it goes both ways. Very useful when dodging Romulan torpedos...

Feed this program the Near Star List from 2300AD and you can incapacitate fans of that game, too.

I apologize for my ignorance, but what exactly is this supposed to do?

It's just a random star field simulator, something to waste a few minutes of one's life on before moving on to the next distraction. ;)

The speed can be changed with "+" & "-", and left and right turns can be done within the field with the left and right arrow keys. I can't yet figure out how to pitch up and down. I suppose it could be the basis for some sort of display for a space video game, but I'm not intending to do one. It's just a coding exercise which worked better than expected.

The approach is inspired by the ray tracing process. A "universe" is defined as a box of a range of 15000 each in x,y&z. The "viewscreen" is an x,y plane placed at z=600, and the users "eye" is assumed to be at 0,0,0. It is then populated by 500 stars.

The stars are fixed in x & y while they are in the limits of the "universe", with only their z changing with each iteration of the loop. A ratio of the distance between the absolute x,y,z position of the stars and the eye of the viewer and the distance from the eye to the screen is used to compute an "apparent" x,y value which is plotted on the screen. Once the stars advance beyond the limits of the universe box they are recycled to the opposite side at new random positions.

It renders a nice parallax effect as the stars advance toward, or away from the viewer to give the impression of 3D movement through the space.

The basic algorithm was done in under 100 lines of code, adding some display refinements and movement functions took a bit beyond that.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I still have no understanding of what you are talking about. I do not follow why this should incapacitate a Trekkie.

I apologize for my ignorance, but I still have no understanding of what you are talking about. I do not follow why this should incapacitate a Trekkie.

I'm assuming the premise is that were one a fan of Star Trek, with it's iconic bridge view of flying through a star field, seeing this animation may gather their attention for an inordinate amount of time.

I'm assuming the premise is that were one a fan of Star Trek, with it's iconic bridge view of flying through a star field, seeing this animation may gather their attention for an inordinate amount of time.

So, basically what the old Afterdark Star Trek screensaver did. I never was a fan of that, as I liked the star ship assortment flying across the screen.

Back