• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I made an air raft

A coin operated air/raft? :unsure:
Did someone mention "large coins"?

The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency, with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough, but, since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change.

[Links to hitchhikers.fandom.com]

Cool!

Other than figures for my current face to face game, solo 5 Parsecs from Home and related terrain, both the wheeled and tracked ATVs are on my list.

Air/rafts are an interesting item all around. I am not sure who thought that an open-topped 400kph vehicle was a good plan, though. Certainly not someone with long hair. I was given to understand that enclosed (though not sealed against vacuum) air rafts were available for those who don't care to risk falling 4km if you roll too sharply but I cannot find the reference. The book air/raft (Mongoose again, sorry, it's all I own) is wildly overpriced compared to what you can build yourself with the military vehicles supplement, and some time back I planned up half a dozen with various capabilities (cargo amount, size, endurance, TL) while all maintaining the baseline stats of top speed, number of passengers, and engineering plant (power plant and engine). The version closest in cost to the book air/raft had 4T cargo capacity. (Not 4 dTons, just 4000kg).

I was given to understand that enclosed (though not sealed against vacuum) air rafts were available for those who don't care to risk falling 4km if you roll too sharply but I cannot find the reference
I seem to remember something called a Prospector's Buggy. If that's right, it might be in Beltstrike.

Air/rafts are an interesting item all around. I am not sure who thought that an open-topped 400kph vehicle was a good plan, though. Certainly not someone with long hair. I was given to understand that enclosed (though not sealed against vacuum) air rafts were available for those who don't care to risk falling 4km if you roll too sharply but I cannot find the reference. The book air/raft (Mongoose again, sorry, it's all I own) is wildly overpriced compared to what you can build yourself with the military vehicles supplement, and some time back I planned up half a dozen with various capabilities (cargo amount, size, endurance, TL) while all maintaining the baseline stats of top speed, number of passengers, and engineering plant (power plant and engine). The version closest in cost to the book air/raft had 4T cargo capacity. (Not 4 dTons, just 4000kg).

In my universe, the open topped air rafts are the exception, not the rule. Most are fully enclosed like passenger cars, sports cars, etc. Even something like a truck is more like a panel van than some open, flatbed vehicle. Who would want to be riding in an open vehicle at say, 5,000 meters where the temp is -20 C at 400 kph? Having to wear an environmental or space suit all the time while using an air raft makes zero sense.

Air/rafts are an interesting item all around. I am not sure who thought that an open-topped 400kph vehicle was a good plan, though.
They're not. They're 100kph, to 120kph tops. They're slow as a turtle. I mean, beats walking, but man are they slow.
They were drawn from the Dumarest books IIRC, and those were open-topped, It doers simplify figuring out fields of fire for vehicle occupants!

I don't think much thought was given to high-altitude operation other than "yes, you can drive one up to orbit if you suit up".

Make it watertight, and then it can float.

Tom Swift's triphibian.

s-l1200.jpg

Back