• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

I made an air raft

It looks to me like the functional equivalent of a "deuce-and-a-half" (2 1/2T payload mil truck) except that it can fly.
Well, even a deuce would be enclosed if it were going to be capable of flying at say 10,000 meters at 200+ kph. Being an open topped vehicle makes ZERO sense.

Being an open topped vehicle makes ZERO sense.
Keeps the weight mass down, and as we all know ... weight mass is the enemy of aviation gravitic performance. 💡

The point of an air/raft isn't to "go high" (although it can), but rather to just "float along in the sky the way that bricks don't" ... and being open topped helps with that utilitarian aspect of things.

Keeps the weight mass down, and as we all know ... weight mass is the enemy of aviation gravitic performance. 💡

The point of an air/raft isn't to "go high" (although it can), but rather to just "float along in the sky the way that bricks don't" ... and being open topped helps with that utilitarian aspect of things.
How do you know that? If it can, someone likely will. Enclosed means it's out of the weather too. Being open topped means, you get to enjoy the heat, cold, rain, and whatever to the fullest, along with potentially a sensitive cargo subject to damage because of it. Convertible cars are the exception, not the rule. Open bed trucks are the exception, not the rule.

An 'air raft' can go to orbit. You can bet if it can, people will. Adding a cab or enclosed passenger space, and even enclosing the cargo space won't add much in weight (yea, you can all technical and say "mass"). It would also add streamlining making the vehicle more aerodynamic (less drag) than an open vehicle.

In terms of a Traveller game, if the party (players) were doing something involving combat I'd think depending on the scenario they might well want to be using it at a higher altitude to avoid ground fire as opposed to being NOE or at low altitude. Think something like a Blackhawk Down scenario of some sort. Flying low over an urban area gets you shot down, while flying higher avoids ground fire. And, at the same time, having an enclosed passenger compartment gives you some protection from fire either way.

How do you know that? If it can, someone likely will. Enclosed means it's out of the weather too. Being open topped means, you get to enjoy the heat, cold, rain, and whatever to the fullest, along with potentially a sensitive cargo subject to damage because of it. Convertible cars are the exception, not the rule. Open bed trucks are the exception, not the rule.

An 'air raft' can go to orbit. You can bet if it can, people will. Adding a cab or enclosed passenger space, and even enclosing the cargo space won't add much in weight (yea, you can all technical and say "mass"). It would also add streamlining making the vehicle more aerodynamic (less drag) than an open vehicle.

In terms of a Traveller game, if the party (players) were doing something involving combat I'd think depending on the scenario they might well want to be using it at a higher altitude to avoid ground fire as opposed to being NOE or at low altitude. Think something like a Blackhawk Down scenario of some sort. Flying low over an urban area gets you shot down, while flying higher avoids ground fire. And, at the same time, having an enclosed passenger compartment gives you some protection from fire either way.
Except that we are talking computer fire control and mass driver/laser/energy weapons not to mention missiles. TL5- ya cruise above the primitives, but being a radar/lidar/IR target in the sky makes for higher tech quick death.

How do you know that?
Oh, I dunno ... :rolleyes:

Y8TRtKa.jpeg

Being open topped means, you get to enjoy the heat, cold, rain, and whatever to the fullest, along with potentially a sensitive cargo subject to damage because of it.
Guess you've never ridden a motorcycle.

Being out in the world is part and parcel to the experience. Riding across the desert, you can feel the subtle temperature changes as you drop in and out of the washes along road. Being behind a lemon truck is an amazing, ad hoc zen-ish experience.

Save for gusty wind, and torrential rain (which isn't that awful in the proper gear, I have been soaked to the bone in heavy rain before though), weather has never been really an issue with riding. The heat, the sun, the fog, the sea, the pine, the cows, it's all good. Bugs are a bit messy though. Something not right about a bike fairing that's literally fuzzy with insect wings.

Guess you've never ridden a motorcycle.

Being out in the world is part and parcel to the experience. Riding across the desert, you can feel the subtle temperature changes as you drop in and out of the washes along road. Being behind a lemon truck is an amazing, ad hoc zen-ish experience.

Save for gusty wind, and torrential rain (which isn't that awful in the proper gear, I have been soaked to the bone in heavy rain before though), weather has never been really an issue with riding. The heat, the sun, the fog, the sea, the pine, the cows, it's all good. Bugs are a bit messy though. Something not right about a bike fairing that's literally fuzzy with insect wings.
the old joke: how can you tell how happy a motorcyclist is? Count the bugs in his teeth.

I ride but not nearly as much as I used to. Used to be anything above freezing, then 40, and 50 is now my lower limit. I have a car with a heater (it IS a t-top though, so those come off in good weather. but if those are off, unless I have to carry stuff, I am on the motorcycle)

and yes, there is something about the air blowing against you. Though rain, unless you have good gear, can really hurt! I got caught in a hailstorm once and it left some serious bruises before I could find a bridge.

The main advantage of an open-topped vehicle from an RPG perspective (especially if you're writing the RPG coming from a war-gaming background) is that you don't have to worry about keeping track of fields of fire of the occupants' firearms.

Though rain, unless you have good gear, can really hurt!
Oh yes!

I remember being on my moped, and, of course, properly geared (i.e. pants, sneakers, t-shirt, no helmet...) and riding in a light rain.

Yea, it stings!

I was coming home from a camp last year. SUPER foggy. REALLY wet. Foggy enough that I wasn't comfortable going fast enough so the water would sheet off of the visor, so I couldn't see anything. I opened the visor, and, naturally, my glasses became soaked and opaque. So I had to ride without my glasses ("Just avoid the big shapes and you'll be fine!"), with the visor up. Essentially I had to squint to protect my eyes.

Whee! Yea, that was fun! :) lol

"Yea, I couldn't really see, but at least the road was slick."

Back