• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial military robots

Carlobrand

SOC-14 1K
Marquis
I have a memory of something somewhere discussing the reluctance of the Imperial military to use robots. I don't recall the source, and I don't recall if it was limited to warbots or if it was more generalized. There's a lot of potential for useful military bots that don't involve warbots. CT Book 8 and MT offer ways to design them, but it's likely other versions have bot design rules as well, so I'm not going to focus too tightly on details.

Useful military bots include:
  • small eye-bots with Light-Intensification, IR, and passive audio whose sole function is to creep along low while sending back what they see and hear to handlers behind them or, equipped with gravs, to offer an aerial view from a target that's small enough to escape notice and difficult to hit if noticed, possibly with light arms and wire cutters to deal with barbed wire or other obstructions;
  • small remote-bots providing jamming or radar support away from the troops' position;
  • small commo-bots whose job is to relay laser communications;
  • small packbots carrying a squad's supplies, able to load or unload themselves or entrench themselves if needed, able to return to a company resupply point to gather more supplies and return;
  • medic-bots able to carry a single wounded individual from a combat position back to the company casualty station while performing basic emergency stabilization such as monitoring vitals, packing wounds, starting IV plasma, and providing O2 support - these functions might also be integrated into a packbot so it could function as both;
  • ponybots intended to provide combined transport and supply - there's a potential for these to be cheaper than grav belts but, for a bit more, they could offer additional utility such as being equipped with laser coms for secure communication and limbs and tools to assist with digging foxholes and trenches;
  • powerbots carrying small fusion reactors to provide recharging in the field;
  • small mine-detecting bots equipped to detect and mark mines in advance of a moving infantry formation;
  • decoy bots placing and maintaining inflatable decoys that gave the appearance and heat signature of entrenched troops to draw fire and give the impression of a larger force.
A chief advantage would be that their small size would allow them to accompany infantry relatively unobtrusively, to take advantage of cover and concealment, and if needed to dig and bank small trenches in which they could take cover from artillery or weapons fire.

Armed bots that might not quite meet the definition of warbots include:
  • robotic mobile weapon mounts with a small crew-served weapon, either small enough for an individual to use them from a seated or prone position or equipped for a rider, or operated by a remote human handler, with the bot acting as loader and carrying reloads;
  • point defense bots equipped with point defense weapons and fire control, programmed solely to function in a point defense role while accompanying a squad of infantry.
  • expendable mobile missile bots carrying launch rails or launch tubes for missiles that are targeted and controlled by a human handler some distance from the bot, allowing missiles to be launched without giving away the location of the handler, possibly with their own arms and tools to entrench themselves, and small enough to be fielded without being as easily spotted as vehicles, giving infantry in the field a platoon-level response to armor.
  • gunbots carrying several infantry small arms controlled remotely by a human handler, intended to provide suppressive fire in advance of or at flanking positions from the handler.

I think the Imperial military’s reluctance to use bots is probably a general caution, on top of the actual prohibition against armed robots.

I could see a lot of use of “dumb” ie TL 8-10 support drones. But I could see that any more advanced AI might be too unpredictable for their tastes near an active combat zone. (even in a support role)

As I recall, the Imperial rules against arming "Sentient" or "near-Sentient" devices dates back before the founding, to the Shudusham Concords
Those, as I recall, were raised after unrestrained use of AI-based androids and other systems led to very bad things in the RoM

IMTU, the Concords are followed and "my version" of the Imperium has laws against arming devices which carry strict penalties of they become responsible for any unintended damage. The laws also require investigation and possible prosecution if the device's actions were legitimate but could have been moderated? (IE: it shoots an armed criminal, and kills them...where they could have been wounded and taken into custody)

small mine-detecting bots equipped to detect and mark mines in advance of a moving infantry formation;
I actually did something akin to this in Heavy Gear by Dream Pod 9.
Worked out a way to have cheap memory plastic walker drones, small enough for a person to pick up and easily carry, which were loaded with minesweeper sensors and which could "paint" detected mines so infantry and vehicles could avoid them (because a revealed mine is a barely useful mine). These robotic minesweepers were so cheap to build that they were "battlefield disposable" rather than something that required maintenance. If one of them tripped a mine (💥), just pull out the next one and keep doing your mission.

I remember the design "made heads explode" when it was revealed, because the usefulness was so obvious (in retrospect).
It was the equivalent to defeating a head seeker missile with a styrofoam coffee cup.

I have a hard time imagining that interstellar polity tech would be incapable of building something similar.

Useful military bots include:

You forgot the repair drones on ships (or you are jus talking about dirtside operations). They are quite a usual feature in MgT...

As per armed ones, we should define the exact difference among a robot and a drone, and which kind of drones (remotely piloted or independent) the Imperial Artillery uses, as they were featured at least since the 4518th LIR was defined...

I think the Imperial military’s reluctance to use bots is probably a general caution, on top of the actual prohibition against armed robots.

I could see a lot of use of “dumb” ie TL 8-10 support drones. But I could see that any more advanced AI might be too unpredictable for their tastes near an active combat zone. (even in a support role)
I tend to think most would have limited intelligence as well. It doesn't take a lot of intelligence to follow someone or go where you're told Even the point defense bot is basically just carting the thing around while the point defense system does it's bit. About the only thing that needs intelligence is the medic-bot.
Mortar mule.

Logistics llama.
Love it! :LOL:
I actually did something akin to this in Heavy Gear by Dream Pod 9.
Worked out a way to have cheap memory plastic walker drones, small enough for a person to pick up and easily carry, which were loaded with minesweeper sensors and which could "paint" detected mines so infantry and vehicles could avoid them (because a revealed mine is a barely useful mine). These robotic minesweepers were so cheap to build that they were "battlefield disposable" rather than something that required maintenance. If one of them tripped a mine (💥), just pull out the next one and keep doing your mission.

I remember the design "made heads explode" when it was revealed, because the usefulness was so obvious (in retrospect).
It was the equivalent to defeating a head seeker missile with a styrofoam coffee cup.

I have a hard time imagining that interstellar polity tech would be incapable of building something similar.
I like that. That's the basic idea, something that does the job cheap. I figure the bots will suffer disproportionate ... casualties?... so they need to be cheap and easily replaced. The ideal pony-bot, for example, is something behind which you could take cover in a pinch without worrying overmuch if it took hits - which is something you couldn't do with a grav belt.

I left one off the list. Striker has an optional maintenance rule. Not sure how good the rule itself is, but bots intelligent enough to do maintenance work would be useful. They'd likely be held as a section at battalion command level so less likely to come under fire, and it would mean fewer troops needed for rear support units, though certainly there'd be a few to lead the section and handle things that were beyond the bots' skills. Same could apply for cooks.

You forgot the repair drones on ships (or you are jus talking about dirtside operations). They are quite a usual feature in MgT...

As per armed ones, we should define the exact difference among a robot and a drone, and which kind of drones (remotely piloted or independent) the Imperial Artillery uses, as they were featured at least since the 4518th LIR was defined...
I was talking about dirtside. I expect ship repair drones and bots are a thing since they can get places that would be harder for humans to manage.

Bots or Droids would be used in damage control parties, EVA maintenance, conducting routine Preventive Maintenance Schedule and the Galley slinging hash.

In the ground units. I see them in maintenance shops for Equipment and Vehicles, Quartermaster companies for Food, Clothing (Bot Tailor droids with multiple arms). But more importantly I see them in reconnaissance (full spectrum, multi-domain), as Electronic Warfare adjuncts, and as terminal guidance munitions.

Munitions and other logistics movements. Forklift bots moving pallets, loading vehicles. Anything to speed movement, and reduce risk to personnel.

Also, wrecker assistants. Everyone knows vehicles always break down in the dark, mud, and at the intersection of several maps. Robotic helpers for the wrecker driver and mechanic, and crew.

With "enough technology and engineering" ... if a human can do it, a robot can do it.
The next question is harder ... whether or not it is WISE to have a robot do particular tasks.
For a lot of things, the answer is YES.
For some extremely important things, the answer is NO.

medic-bots able to carry a single wounded individual from a combat position back to the company casualty station while performing basic emergency stabilization such as monitoring vitals, packing wounds, starting IV plasma, and providing O2 support - these functions might also be integrated into a packbot so it could function as both;
I have always liked this idea, an automated transport for wounded. In a far future setting it could ab an auto doc not just a protected transport.

1725163620453.jpeg

Back