• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial Nobility and change of government...

Hal wrote:
Isn't Quopist the Jonkereen word for DUNE? ;)
MY OFFICIAL STATEMENT:

"I have not now, nor ever subscribed to such thoughts, nor have I ever been a Herbert-phile, Mr senator." :eek:

off the McCarthy soapbox & off the record for a bit..

And you think a warm climed world wouldn't add to the heated trouble you've brewed?
file_22.gif
file_23.gif

In response to Liam's (or is that Daniel's?) commentary about GURPS TRAVELLER or GURPS NOBLES underestimating military forces, the basic numbers stem not from GURPS material, but from Classic Traveller Material. To wit: JTAS 10.

GDW published in JTAS 10, a formula for calculating the number of Battalion Equivalents for any given world based on Tech level, population level, and even on atmosphere type. It was that formula that states how many military personnel are available on call as ground force Military personnel. So, blame it on CT

*teasing grin*

Originally posted by Hal:
In response to Liam's (or is that Daniel's?)

I answer to both. Just don't call me late for dinner!

commentary about GURPS TRAVELLER or GURPS NOBLES underestimating military forces, the basic numbers stem not from GURPS material, but from Classic Traveller Material. To wit: JTAS 10.

GDW published in JTAS 10, a formula for calculating the number of Battalion Equivalents for any given world based on Tech level, population level, and even on atmosphere type. It was that formula that states how many military personnel are available on call as ground force Military personnel. So, blame it on CT

*teasing grin*
GDW also published TNE-Path of Tears ;)

One of these days, I'm going to have to pull out THE WORLD BUILDER'S HANDBOOK as well as PATH OF TEARS. My dislike of the TNE universe generally tends to blind me to that material :(

One of these days, MWM will put them on a CD like he did MT (I'm missing only Knightfall and Astrogators Guide in deadtree myself, alas)--and hopefully whomever scans it uses a lighter tone on the shaded sidebar paragraphs.

Ya dinnae know what yer missin lad ;)

The Best pages in PoT are pp92-97.

They detail how to detail balkanized worlds, compute the amount of relic technology on a dead world based on former population, and how to compute the military manpower a planet (balkanized or not) from pop 1 to A, and generally how such forces are arrayed in TL1 through TL-12.

I have run TNE era stuff in T20, and run Golden era stuff in T20, and have found those pages of immense value, superseding the the earlier CT sources. It gives a modest idea of what a nation can afford (1% is a the baseline, a nation feeling endangered or threatened/ Higher law level paranoia & population control, maybe upwards to 10% of its population total.)

Also useful, how to balkanize a world--how many nations, and to what percentage of the UWP total go to each was first done here, before Avenger Press' 1248 came out.

One of these days, I'm going to have to pull out THE WORLD BUILDER'S HANDBOOK as well as PATH OF TEARS. My dislike of the TNE universe generally tends to blind me to that material :(
World Builder's Handbook is the DGP produced book for MT.
Do you mean the World Tamer's Handbook for TNE ;)
file_23.gif

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
Also useful, how to balkanize a world--how many nations, and to what percentage of the UWP total go to each was first done here, before Avenger Press' 1248 came out.
DGP's World Builder's Handbook first ;)
file_23.gif

Good point - I did mean to say World Tamer's Handbook!

Ah well, at least I've a mission when I get home today... find my copy of both of those TNE books ;)

Hi Daniel,
I did a quick check on the US military size versus US population size to see if 1% of the population value makes sense or not. If you go to http://www.strategypage.com/fyeo/howtomakewar/databases/armies/default.asp and look up the US, you'll find that military manpower divided by population results in a figure of .49% which is about half of your postulated 1%. But it is a start at least ;)
A quick check from the same site with China shows nearly 2% active military. 1% may not be a bad number.

I have to concur with SGB. I read the material in the book and saw that they suggested that it can be varied from point to point, but that the 1% figure seems to be midway in the ballpark. I also seem to recall that the US military has been downsizing a bit recently. Whether that trend will continue or not is the question ;)

But yes, 1% does sound look a good point to work from in retrospect.

And in PoT , the pages I've ascribed to, that 1% goes from populations 1-8.
It falls to 0.005% (one half of one percent) for pop 9+ worlds. that comes close to your figure Hal.

Hal: An evil after thought--

You could certainly add to your already volatile mix here with the planet's military branches thinking of choosing sides between insurgency and the Government as well.

Hi Daniel,
I had considered that as a possibility as to why the Presidency is worried about the Insurgency.

The more I look at all of this, the more I think to myself "This would be a FUN scenario to spring on some unsuspecting poor soul". If I were to spring this in PLAY BY POST, it would be interesting to see what the person who plays the Baron decides to do. Decisions decisions...

How many here think this would be a fun scenario to run through Play by Post? Right now, I'm trying to figure out a way to turn this into a play by post game where one thread details events from the Baron's point of view, one thread details it from the Insurgent's point of view, and one from the President's point of view. I would have to hope that the honor system holds and no one cheats by lookin in any of the "restricted" threads. It would be fun if I could do what amounts to a triple blind game run where each is playing against a player character instead of against the GM. Hmmmm.

Perhaps one of those "would be neat" ideas, but would never fly...

Then might i suggest Hal, you PM the Player viewed events to each player by using the PM system built into this forum? You can then post openly to all what everyone "sees/hears" happening.

helpfully yours,

Back