• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Imperial Patents of Nobility email?

I love getting the little cards and the signature from the emperor etc. I didn't realize it was more than that. Do people use the spreadsheet to name NPCs in the various systems?

The spreadsheet was started a long time ago by the COTI-User "Bloo" when he compiled the record he had at the time as to who had been given what cards based on the T5 Beta & Kickstarter and FFE Sales, and he left it open for editing ever since for people to add and use as they see fit. I have more or less taken up the post on my own of becoming its caretaker.

People can use it however they want. Obviously, some of the higher-level titles are in direct conflict with OTU-Canon (at least in the 1105+ golden era - e.g. Duke of Glisten, Mora, Regina, Archduke of Ilelish, etc), but then many titles are given out as Ceremonial or Honour titles as well; they are not necessarily THE Landed High Nobles or Lesser Landed Nobles who represent Imperial territory before the Moot and administer Imperial interests as a posting. Remember, a Title of Nobility is first and foremost a Social Distinction, and not a job, although having a certain minimum specific level of Noble dignity does qualify one to hold certain Imperial posts; but that is not a foregone conclusion. In general, a Noble will receive a fief of lands on a world or worlds for remuneration & personal maintenance of the dignity of his position (that is what is listed on the card - the primary world association), but the actual Landed Noble proper for a world who represents it before the Moot and at the local level in the Duke's subsector government is always styled in the specific form "The <NOBLE-TITLE> of <WORLD-NAME>" (These are the Nobles in the Noble Extension in T5, also shown on worlds on TravellerMap). Other nobles who may have the same rank and reside or have territorial possessions on the same world may be Honour or Ceremonial (Bureaucratic/Administrative) Nobles but will be styled differently (i.e. <Noble> of <Family Name>; <Noble> of < Fief Name>; <Noble> of the Third Imperium, <Noble> of the Spinward Marches, etc.).

Some people had already existing PCs that they got their cards named for (In the T5 Beta & Kickstarter rewards, some of us have cards up there on the spreadsheet that not only have a noble title and world listed, but actually have character names printed on the respective cards - we were permitted to request specific lands/territories in the Kickstarter fulfillment, if available; The character Lord Rhovanion in my signature has been in existence in an on-and-off home campaign since 1982). Others invented characters (PC/NPC) for the cards they received. Some are just recording their "swag" along with the rest.

I've received a few randomly in the mail from Marc over the years, including one last month. I'll need to check through and see if I can locate all the cards and notes for them.

BTW, I just added verbiage to the Front Page of the Noble Patents Spreadsheet with instructions on how to include your MCGs & SEHs should you feel so inclined, now that there is a little more info about them SOC-wise.

If you received an MCG or SEH and want to add it to the spreadsheet, add it to the ALL PATENTS Tab ONLY (i.e. do not put anything on Domain Tabs). The SOC value is either 10a or 10b. Marc has noted that recipients of these two awards are held in esteem just below that of Knighthood; hence they are Gentry. You can place the reason for the award in the "Style/Order" Column. I placed the three that I have up there as examples.

Back