• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

importing Diaspora Phoenix to CANADA

He didn't mean that Island (fine island though it is), he meant Vancouver Island

Well, there's always an Ebook format now that DrivethruRPG is here...

I must admit, the postage rates are a bit obscene - they very nearly turned me off from joining the TNE playtest.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Well, Print On Demand is a good thing if it serves the customers in the same way that a game store does...what most of us on this list object to is the incredible high rates for postage for what amounts to a Trade Paperback.

Now this is not Hunter & co. problem but it would be nicer if some were leaked through regular distribution channels so as to bring the cost down.
The problem is I would have to charge close to $20 for the book in order to make any money on it through the distribution channels. The book is being priced at $6.99 because I am handling the distribution myself. Even then I am making VERY little on the book.

I could try and go the traditional print route, but even then I would have to print large numbers to be able to keep the price down to the $6.99 level, and frankly given how badly RPG related novels tend to sell, I can't see printing 5-10,000 of them. If the POD version of DP shows me otherwise, I can always take it to a traditional printer.

What I am offering now is the best deal I can put together given the limitations.

Hunter

Originally posted by Malenfant:
Well, there's always an Ebook format now that DrivethruRPG is here...

I must admit, the postage rates are a bit obscene - they very nearly turned me off from joining the TNE playtest.
Diaspora Phoenix was available as a PDF for about 2 years...

Hunter

Originally posted by Malenfant:
He didn't mean that Island (fine island though it is), he meant Vancouver Island :) .
Ooops! For some reason I though he was talking about Ireland. My brain is tired I guess ;)

Hunter

OK, my brain's evidently tired too since I forgot it was already a PDF

(Wolfman's based in Victoria BC (not far from me, actually), which is on Vancouver Island.)

Yes, as I said it's not your fault it is just the economics of the situation really makes buying this item really costly for us in the US.

This is fine, I really enjoyed the PDF and egging my FGLS located several thousand kilometers to act as a distribution point if that happens then the price will be lower for all. So I don't blame Hunter but it is just the murderous postal rates that constantly astound us North of the Border in the era of NAFTA and all.

Originally posted by hunter:
Diaspora Phoenix, because it is being done Print On Demand, will not be available through distribution channels, but Martin will be receiving a shipment from me and will be reshipping DP out to folks in the UK that want copies.

Hunter
Um, Hunter. I was the one who placed the pre-order for our UK copies. Just making sure you ship those 10 to me and not Martin (as people have paid me for them).

Originally posted by Wolfman:
So how many of us on the Island need to order for it to be worth there time.
file_28.gif
Wolfman, if you like in Victoria I will be there for a day in August. If the pre-orders have shipped to me by then Martin said he would take up any slack to make it up to 10 copies. Though if he has no objections I can take one of the four he was going to get and give it to you when I am there. Presuming of course this is okay with Martin and that they are here by then.

Originally posted by kafka47:
Yes, as I said it's not your fault it is just the economics of the situation really makes buying this item really costly for us in the US.

This is fine, I really enjoyed the PDF and egging my FGLS located several thousand kilometers to act as a distribution point if that happens then the price will be lower for all. So I don't blame Hunter but it is just the murderous postal rates that constantly astound us North of the Border in the era of NAFTA and all.
IIRC the problem there (at least with the TNE book) was that the only option to send books to another country was via very expensive airmail. My memory is a bit fuzzy on that though.

I'm still not used to this... living in the UK, everyone else was overseas so I could see why airmail would be the preferred option. But I'm living in Canada now, scarcely a few tens of miles from the US border, and my first assumption is still that this somehow should make it a lot easier and cheaper to send me stuff from there

(I know why it isn't. It just takes a lot of time to get used to it) ;) .

It just surprises me that we don't have any Yankee traders who want to risk life and possibnele GST payment who live in the border cities and really start importing games with a vengence to Canada....

Surely, there must be gaming stores in Niagara Falls or Rochester that would be just wanting for Canadians to descend upon them and buy up stock and then resell it North of the border...

But the reason is that distributors can pss along a a marked-up or discount to the retailers. So we are just stuck with the inefficiencies of the respoective postal systems which should geared toward fascilatating trade and communication indstead of letting private business eg couriers dominate the market.

Not wanting to flog a dead groat...but I was just on the United States Postal Service website

But, why cannot the novel go this way to Canada... "Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (small) 4 - 6 Days $4.00 6" x 10" Surely, a Trade paperback is not larger than this...especially, if store can get it this route...it suddenly becomes economical.

Back