• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

[IMTU] Modified Imperium - what do you think?

So, recently got the Classic Supplements Reprints, and had a read of the essay on Nobility, and the Noble and Diplomat careers in Supplement 4. Very interesting stuff, and it's made me think of the role of nobles in such a "feudal" system as the Imperium. For my upcoming game, I thought I might do this:

1. Have noble titles, as outlined in the text. However, the titles do not reflect a fief. Rather, they really do "just" confer status upon the holder. And some people can earn it or get in to the noble class through various means. At most, title might, say, confer a house and some land somewhere.

2. Political power rests with those who take the actual Noble or Diplomat careers. Change Noble to Magistrate, and based promotions and the like on the Roman Republic/Empire. Following Supp 4 rules, this means that not every person of nobility will be a Magistrate, but every Magistrate, by law, must be a noble. See where I'm going with this?

3. As such, only magistrates run the Imperium - a local person can run the planets, depending on their own government, but any place that falls as a colony, or a controlled government, would be Imperial, run by a Magistrate. Also, all Imperial Offices would be only by Magistrates (so, someone in charge of what the OTU called a country or duchy would be under Imperial Magistrate control, rather than a count or duke).

4. This means (whew!) that it's quite easy for a noble, who served as a Magistrate, to be down on their luck, empty in pocket, and looking for a way to get rich again. Happened lots to Roman nobility, so why not here?

5. In this system then, if a member of the nobility doesn't take the noble career, then he just has his title, and that's that. Never amounts to much, doesn't sit in the subsector senate, etc etc.

6. If he DOES take the Noble career, then he serves in a variety of posts, moving up the ladder if he gets his Position roll, and Promotions. I'll explain in a bit. But it still means that when he leaves office and retires or quits, he's just whatever his noble rank was before, with whatever he mustered out with. Though, I'd say, if he managed to get Position, then he gets to sit on the subsector Senate, say, and if higher, than the Sector one, and, if at the top, the Imperial Senate. But, naturally, these are unpaid positions, see? A noble is supposed to do it out of the kindness of their hearts (leading to massive graft and the like, naturally - ditto for Magistrates).

7. I'd change the Noble career to reflect this - keep the rolls the same. Each position gets a new name. I'd add a +1 social benefit for the muster table, since I'd be making a sixth rank anyway.

That's the idea in a nutshell, sort of forming in my mind. Otherwise, we keep everything else OTU as it fits, and solve the noble problem. Thoughts?

I may be mistaken, but...

I seem recall that Magistrates, Counsels, Tribunes, Senators and Knights were granted a certain amount of cash and prizes for their earning their position. They didn't do it out the kindness of their hearts, but for the cash. (Ah, the more things change the more they stay the same. :D)

Well, just to keep it simple, I thought that might be reflected in the mustering out tables. If we take the Roman Republic as the model, then magistraes often went up to a certain level, we're able to go further, and then quit (for example, a large number only got as far as quaestor, didn't have the money to run for praetor or consul, and remained a backbencher forever).

So, I sort of hoped the cash and prizes on the benefits table (and the yacht) made up for it. ;)

Okay.

Well, just to keep it simple, I thought that might be reflected in the mustering out tables. If we take the Roman Republic as the model, then magistraes often went up to a certain level, we're able to go further, and then quit (for example, a large number only got as far as quaestor, didn't have the money to run for praetor or consul, and remained a backbencher forever).

So, I sort of hoped the cash and prizes on the benefits table (and the yacht) made up for it. ;)
Good enough. I need to look at those tables again, I seem to recall they do get a bit more than most Careers upon muster, but not that much. So, way to go, and I will be back later I am sure with more annoying questions, however I am out for now. :)

Good enough. I need to look at those tables again, I seem to recall they do get a bit more than most Careers upon muster, but not that much. So, way to go, and I will be back later I am sure with more annoying questions, however I am out for now. :)

Yeah, bring the questions! Helps me refine my thinking before my players pick it apart like angry hobos.

What?!

Yeah, bring the questions! Helps me refine my thinking before my players pick it apart like angry hobos.
And deprive you of the fun of being a minor god (Referee)? Poo-poo, on that, sink or swim, biznatch. :p

I will but I have to go for now, keeping up with the obligations of friendship.

Back