• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

In his Emperoros Secret Service

The Emperor's Personal Guard would have above average skills and I can see how many of them could be recruited from an intelligence background. But, contra to Hollywood, the Men in Black (Presidental Secret Service) do not possess significant Intelligence backgrounds (they only have to assess threat and be able to move the prez to predetermined safe locations). I would see, the Imperial Guard forfilling the same function for the Emperor. Problem is that selection for the Guard is left to the Archdukes confirmed by Imperial Edict, as seen in 1116...

Behind the Imperial Guard there is the vast array of competiting intelligence agencies for the 3I has no Department of Homespace Security, save the INI which by virtue that the Imperium controls the space between worlds is immensely powerful but does not have a monopoly. Sometimes, I think a good analogue for happenings in the Third Imperium is Germany's 3rd Third Reich (with or without the unpleasant sides).

The Milieu-Zero pdf has a nice section on intelligence agencies in Cleon's new 3i, naming several, offering some details and have a page or two of scenarios and adventure seeds.

3rd Reich, 3rd Imperium....

Scary thought and I just had it at work, where I am reading a history of the Third Reich and funny how some of it works about the same, just in how messed up the power structure is and how the different Agencies, Offices and other Bureaucracies went at each other for odd little pieces...

And if the Third Imperium has an SS-SD, wow, thems boys is scary, and of course I suppose that means their analog and the Imperial Psionic Institute Guard let Strephon get capped, huh?

Issue #34 of Challenge Magazine (official GDW magazine which replaced JTAS) had an Intelligence career for MT...

IRIS (Imperial Regency for Intelligence and Security)
IRIS is not a canonical organization. The article was labeled as a variant. IRIS did appear during the Rebellion, but it turned out that it was a bogus organization dreamed up by a group of power-grabbing intel wienies.

Hans

In the 3I there is the right of Assasination dating back to Cleon the Mad (It's even in CT so it's canon). Any high Nobel (IIRC Duke/Archduke) can claim it, shoot the Impi and sit on the Throne.
Actually, that's what Dulinor's information service claimed. In reality, no one had used the Right of Assassination for five centuries and the very fact that nobles were allowed to bring loaded weapons into Strephon's presence shows that it was literally unthinkable that anyone would make use of it to kill the Emperor. If the Right of Assassination had been regarded as any more relevant than trial by combat, Dulinor would never have been able to surprise Strephon's security detail.

Hans

*a stiffly worded not*

IRIS is not a canonical organization. The article was labeled as a variant. IRIS did appear during the Rebellion, but it turned out that it was a bogus organization dreamed up by a group of power-grabbing intel wienies.
Hans

Dear Rancke:

We here in His Majesty's Imperial Ministry of Intelligence firmly reject to the slanderous fashion which you characterize us and our profession.

In addition, they are not labeled 'bogus organizations', they are called 'front companies', if referred to at all.

Be aware that the appropriate parties have been informed of your seditious statements.
:cool:

It's not Traveller but Space Opera but I always liked:
BOSS - Bureau of State Security

Ah, yes, the game of a zillion acronyms. Phil's threatened to redo it as a Traveller flavor...

BOSS, BRINT, heck, even stats had acronyms... GTA, MA... I'd look up more, but my books are not where I can get to them without having to lift crates of other games off of them.

Wonderful setting, passable but overdetailed rules. Very "Trek meets BSG meets Jason of Star Command meets Known Space"...

And the only game I've seen where being a PC gives a bonus to hit and penalty to be hit....

*ahem*

Imperial Naval Intelligence

C'mon, Bond was a Navy commander!!

Really, Sir, Commander Bond, wasn't a Navy Commander, he was a Royal Navy Commander and On Her Majesty's Secret Service, I do believe as a 00. His Training was RN and it was his Legend, but his Job was as an Intelligence Officer with MI6.

Of course I am only a lowly Light commander, so not quite 00....yet.
:cool:

Back