• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

In which Traveller settings you play?

In which Traveller settings you play?

• Official Traveller Universe/3rd Imperium

Votes: 132 79.0%
  • 2300AD

Votes: 22 13.2%
  • Clement Sector

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Outer Veil

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Twilight Sector

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Reign of Discordia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orbital/Orbital 2100

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Azri Drakara

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Babylon 5

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Other commrecial

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Homebrew

Votes: 83 49.7%
  • Mindjammer

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
Bummer. I reached burnout running my Traveller group so I'm guessing we're gonna be doing DnD for a while.

To the forum as a whole: Has anyone played Mindjammer? Are there good books/movies anyone would recommend to get a handle on the setting concepts?

I've run Mindjammer and mined it for material for my Traveller Culture campaign.

The books that remind me most of the setting are Neal Ashur's works, and Ian M Banks of course.

90% of the sessions I ran were CT with some Judges Guild, FASA and Paranoid Press materials...

Much the same here, plus the Spinward Marches.

Lots of extra fluff taken from pretty much anything I've ever read. If it was interesting, I'd include it. I've also experimented with many, many variants of the Imperium and tech over the years. This included running the "same campaign" over multiple times from the start point and explaining to the players that we were simulating different timelines.

They eventually figured out that these different timelines were connected via a "War of the Gods" metaplot involving Grandfather and other similar beings. Quite fun for everyone involved.

Currently I'm designing my own setting, but again stealing liberally from anything that I find interesting, along with incorporating all the bits my players really liked from the previous campaigns.

D.

I've been pretty lukewarm about running games in the Imperium, but I'm getting a lot more interested after reading The Great Rift and the Bowman Arm. Those areas just electrify my brain with ideas.

Classic Traveller, c. 1105, especially when introducing new people to the game.

Otherwise, a Stargate/Traveller kitbash that seems to work fairly well.

I've hardly ever played Traveller in a group, but I've created characters, backstories, and ship designs for CT, Interstellar Wars, and 2300.

Is there a term for playing RPGs alone?

I've hardly ever played Traveller in a group, but I've created characters, backstories, and ship designs for CT, Interstellar Wars, and 2300.

Is there a term for playing RPGs alone?

Solo play.
Solitaire play.
Scenario prep and/or world/subsector/sector building.

I am still chugging away on my Piper Out Rim Sector, as far from the official Universe as I can get. I am using sort of a mix of Classic and Cepheus Engine rules, but modifying the Cepheus Engine rules as needed. As stars are a bit more spread out, J-3 ships are quite popular, along with slower Piper hyperdrive ships.

I do need to work up some magic rules eventually for the really far-out planets, plus the odd inter-universe portal.

Chthonian Stars is a fun setting for Traveller when you want a little Cthulhu Mythos in your game! :coffeesip:

I tend to pick the bits between the well documented eras of the OTU because they leave plenty of room for imagination.

I also have my own sector, but that is all mine and not shared.

Back