• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Jaen/Cruis Margin 2921 Landgrab quick writeup

Starport - A primitive facility with a concrete landing pad set up and no refueling or repair capacity
How can THAT thing build space ships?

Now, if you had changed Jaen's starport to something like a Class C or Class B, then I see how you could easily build TL7 non-jump ships.

While I agree with your disbelief of a Class E Starport being able to launch long range manned SEVs, I would bring up that there is some "wriggle-room" in the definition of a Class E, beyond just "concrete landing pad".

Consider Burt Rutan and his SpaceShipOne, the winners of the X-Prize.

http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/

Admitedly SpaceShipOne is just an "orbital shuttle", but the vehicle was built in a warehouse on, and launched from, an industrial airfield -- "technically" nothing more than a big "concrete landing pad".

And re-consider Cape Canaveral! You have a big "control" building where lots of technicians run around looking busy, then there's a big warehouse/assembly building off to the side where "ships" are prepped then dragged out to a launch gantry tower in the middle of a big field.

Depending on what source you're using, a Class E Starport can have "local customs or control" facilities nearby -- that sounds like Cape Canaveral to me. And honestly, would simply erecting a launch gantry out on the launch pad REALLY be enough to upgrade from Class E to Class D?

Don't get me wrong, I AGREE that the Starport should be upgraded to AT LEAST a Class D. I'm just saying that there are Class E "landing pads", and then again, there are Class E "Starports"...

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Sounds like a challenge for the grabber, the upgrading from E to D would make a cool book.
Hmmmmmm
I'd have to say the Starport is E and the government has a small seperate TL 7 "spaceport" rated F (Book 6) for its own program. And that they're rather secrative and keep it apart from the starport.

Mike

Sure, Government Space Base is an excellent answer to "Where the frell did THOSE ships come from?". I really like it -- lots of adventure hooks there.

I also like what the Baron has put down -- it makes perfect sense that the Mercantile Concord is trying to pressure the JAC into letting them "upgrade" the Port. (Depending on your source) just building a warehouse complex and installing a fuel bunker will take a Class E up to a Class D.

Originally posted by Lord Vince:
Sure, Government Space Base is an excellent answer to "Where the frell did THOSE ships come from?". I really like it -- lots of adventure hooks there.

I also like what the Baron has put down -- it makes perfect sense that the Mercantile Concord is trying to pressure the JAC into letting them "upgrade" the Port. (Depending on your source) just building a warehouse complex and installing a fuel bunker will take a Class E up to a Class D.
I'm going to add a few adventure hooks and try and flesh some more material out in the next few days.

thanks

Mike

My thoughts were also that the local attempts to expand into their system were separate from the Interstellar Trade at the Starport.

Reasonable arguements could be made for RL Earth's Starport being anything from X to B. After all, we don't REALLY have a STARport, we have space ports (down ports at least). Canaveral and Baikanor are probably justifiable D starports. The new Spaceport facility being built in New Mexico USA might even qualify as a C when it is done. Since current rockets us Hydrox etc for fuel, we might even be able to claim that unrefined fuel is available!

I keep coming back to this thread -- it's one of the few that I feel like commenting about

The good baron's work is excellent, as always, but -- if I might suggest -- consider swapping the "History" section with the "Government" section.

The layout strategy is this...

History gives us an "overview" of details of the planet -- how it came to be what it is.

Government then focusses in, giving information on specific elements of the planet/culture that might be of concern to Travellers. In fact, you might even consider putting together a paragraph titled "Culture" to go before Government -- just mention something about the locals having little contact with outsiders, their mild xenophobia, their agrarian attitudes, etc. Just a few sentences.

Then put down all that info about the flowers and the fruits, as well as other possible resources -- all of which are REASONS for Travellers to go there.

Dang, guys, this is a pretty darn useful format, here. Short, simple, but with lots of useful gimmicks (like the maps and the Export Goods Cards -- an idea I have stol--uh--USED in my own game). It might be kinda fun to keep running with this idea -- starting with Jaen, next we move on to one of Jaen's nearby neighbors, then to the next, etc, until we've got a whole cluster done up in short -- 3-4 pages -- LBB style PDFs.

Ah, pipedreams....

Originally posted by Lord Vince:

Then put down all that info about the flowers and the fruits, as well as other possible resources -- all of which are REASONS for Travellers to go there.

Dang, guys, this is a pretty darn useful format, here. Short, simple, but with lots of useful gimmicks (like the maps and the Export Goods Cards -- an idea I have stol--uh--USED in my own game). It might be kinda fun to keep running with this idea -- starting with Jaen, next we move on to one of Jaen's nearby neighbors, then to the next, etc, until we've got a whole cluster done up in short -- 3-4 pages -- LBB style PDFs.

Ah, pipedreams....
I kinda agree
but the format's been posted to the TML Landgrab website.
If I have time I'll do another work up on another planet in the subsector. I was reading over GtD last night so I'll check the area out.

Mike

I did another planetary write up as a Landgrab and posted to the TML. I used Heaven and Earth but modified the write up a bit. I have a .gif file of the planetary map I can post here. The planet is in the same subsector as Jaen.

Mike

Back