• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Join the Orbital Debris Removal Service!

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
So I've been re-watching the Cowboy Bebop anime and a thought occurred to me: you could make a ton of money just following around the Bounty Hunters and cleaning up after their messes. Kind of a Service Master in Space.

Joining the ODRS, you would be a Scavenger (MgT Career) on a salvage crew.
The Worlds of the Imperium generate a lot of Orbital Debris.
The Imperium could use someone like you to help keep the skies clear.

Apply today at the Orbital Debris Removal Service Office.

Either at any A, B, C, or D Starport or at your local Scrap Belt.

Now, to find a Collection ship.

So I've been re-watching the Cowboy Bebop anime and a thought occurred to me: you could make a ton of money just following around the Bounty Hunters and cleaning up after their messes. Kind of a Service Master in Space.

Joining the ODRS, you would be a Scavenger (MgT Career) on a salvage crew.
The Worlds of the Imperium generate a lot of Orbital Debris.
The Imperium could use someone like you to help keep the skies clear.

Space Sweepers (Wikipedia)
Space Sweepers (Korean: 승리호; Hanja: 勝利號; RR: Seungriho; lit. Spaceship Victory) is a 2021 South Korean space Western film directed by Jo Sung-hee, starring Song Joong-ki, Kim Tae-ri, Jin Seon-kyu and Yoo Hae-jin.[2] Regarded as the first Korean space blockbuster,[3] it was released on Netflix on February 5, 2021.[4][5]

And of course the late '70s TV series Quark.

Space Sweepers (Wikipedia)

And of course the late '70s TV series Quark.
I'm beginning to dig some of the SF movies/TV coming out of Korea. "The Silent Sea" wasn't exactly 'hard' SF, but it was very entertaining.

The Chinese film, "The Wandering Earth" was also quite good, but mostly because it is one of the most approachable of Liu Cixin's works in terms of a film treatment.

I know someone has taken a stab at "The Three Body Problem", but I figure it'll be in the same boat as Dan Simmons' "Hyperion": everyone wants to film it, but few scriptwriters or cinematographers can wrap their head around it.

Or Belter from Supplement four.

I should say that the 100 dTon Barge would be a good ship to start with.

Along with the barge, you might need to set up an actual scavenger "fleet" of small barges and a processing ship to go along with it when you have locations that do not have the facilities to handle the recycling process. I am thinking of something like what several countries have created for their fishing fleets.

Planetes (anime mentioned above) used a non-starship boat called DS-12 ("Toybox") with a large cargo bay for collecting debris into with two very small craft called "Fishbone" that were little more than thruster sleds with open truss for collecting debris into by EVA crew in vacc suits. The Fishbones didn't even have enclosures and were more like "space vehicles" for getting around the "last mile" to the debris field so the humans could get to work by hand/glove than they were sealed habitat craft.

Sorry, I sent the previous post before it was finished. If you were to use a set of two or three fighter sized "broom" sized collecting vessels, then had a larger ship to do some of the preliminary work of sorting things out, you most likely could actually make a fair amount of change out of the operation. You collect the debris, sort out the major components, sell off the valuables, the actual trash / dangerous stuff into the local solar disk for disposal. Of course, you might just forget that the high tech equipment in the bridge was supposed to be returned to the local naval facilities, at your next stop you simply sell it to one of the local agents (spy) for someone who will return it to its previous owners. (Just because it is via the control room of a hostile warship), doesn't make you the bad guy. Even in modern times, salvage and deep sea towing vessels are a very competitive business.

I am sure that the concept could be used as a means to introduce all sorts of smugglers and various agents into a scenario. "Hello, we are here to help clean up your orbital situation. You point, we remove." While the front office works out a contract, the workers swarm in, mixed into the work fleet, a couple of drop capsules 'accidently' get loose from the round up and make planet fall.

I sat down and started to watch the first episode of Quark. Got 13:47 minutes in and had to turn it off. Even the canned laughter was bad. Now please excuse me, I have to chemically lobotomize myself intoxicating liquids and scrubbed my eyes out with bleach.

I sat down and started to watch the first episode of Quark. Got 13:47 minutes in and had to turn it off. Even the canned laughter was bad. Now please excuse me, I have to chemically lobotomize myself intoxicating liquids and scrubbed my eyes out with bleach.
Don't ruin your eyes. That which has been seen cannot be unseen. And thank you for going there so I don't make the same mistake.

Back