• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Just how dangerous are various parts of the Imperium and beyond?

Enoki

SOC-14 1K
There's no current method or statistic I know of that gives just how dangerous a system or region of the Imperium or beyond it really is. I think it might be both interesting and useful if there were. After all, for many Traveller adventures the players are going into the dangerous parts of space.
If there were some general estimate of how dangerous--be it war, crime, violence, or whatever in general--that some system or region of space were it would be useful not just from a warning standpoint, but from one of designing scenarios.

This part of space is known to be incredibly dangerous. Are you sure you really want to go there?

What would a measure of this be? What variables are involved?

If you're out in the boonies, even normal levels of danger are concerning. No support network to fix the routine stuff.

There's no current method or statistic I know of that gives just how dangerous a system or region of the Imperium or beyond it really is. I think it might be both interesting and useful if there were. After all, for many Traveller adventures the players are going into the dangerous parts of space.
If there were some general estimate of how dangerous--be it war, crime, violence, or whatever in general--that some system or region of space were it would be useful not just from a warning standpoint, but from one of designing scenarios.

This part of space is known to be incredibly dangerous. Are you sure you really want to go there?

Classically it was the amberzone/red zone designation on a per system basis. No reason it couldn’t apply to parts or all of a subsector or polity.

Balkanized planets are always a potential flashpoint. Even if it has reached internal equilibrium, an outside force can stir things up for extraplanetary agendas.

Extreme law levels on either end spell trouble.

In most versions D, E and X starports mean little support and patrolling. Private parties will likely be the only ones imposing their sense of space transit order.

The TAS can and does issue blanket travel advisories for entire regions in addition to individual worlds. In CT Supplement 10, portions of Jardin subsector in the Solomani Rim have an amber zone:

Because of the low population, the local navy is small, and piracy has been endemic for many years. Travel between worlds on the xboat routes is safe, but travellers are advised to exercise caution when venturing into the subsector interior, which has been rated an Amber travel zone by the Travellers' Aid Society.

Other examples can be found during the Fifth Frontier War or the Rebellion. On 204-1107, a TAS bulletin declared "the entire Spinward Marches an amber travel zone until further notice."

I also suspect the TAS issues more granular advisories for specific nation-states, cities, or regions on individual worlds.

Last edited:
What yardstick are you measuring by?
The UK is about 1 murder per 100,000 people per year
The 10 most dangerous cities in the world have over 40 murders per year (the worst are double that)
War zones can inflict 10,000 deaths per 100,000 or more across whole populations - and the militaries can lose up to 90,000 per 100,000 if you've picked the wrong arm.

If you just want a bad hassle factor, with incarceration and beatings then those can have spectacular rates - with individuals being targeted multiple times per year - so rates of over 100,000 per 100,000!

What yardstick are you measuring by?
The UK is about 1 murder per 100,000 people per year
The 10 most dangerous cities in the world have over 40 murders per year (the worst are double that)
War zones can inflict 10,000 deaths per 100,000 or more across whole populations - and the militaries can lose up to 90,000 per 100,000 if you've picked the wrong arm.

If you just want a bad hassle factor, with incarceration and beatings then those can have spectacular rates - with individuals being targeted multiple times per year - so rates of over 100,000 per 100,000!
As of the end of September, 2023, there have been 466 murders in Chicago, which is an improvement over last year. That is a lot more than 80 murders per year. You might want to check murder rates and crime rates in US cities.

As for Traveller, my universe of the Piper-Norton Sector would probably be viewed as hazardous to highly dangerous.

As of the end of September, 2023, there have been 466 murders in Chicago, which is an improvement over last year. That is a lot more than 80 murders per year. You might want to check murder rates and crime rates in US cities.
On a per capita basis, the ten cities (with a population of at least 300,000 and not at war) with the highest homicide rates in 2022 were all in North America — nine in Mexico, and one in the US. The top city was Colima, with 181.94 homicides per 100,000. Number 8 was New Orleans, with 70.56 homicides per 100,000. Chicago didn’t make the top 50.

On a per capita basis, the ten cities (with a population of at least 300,000 and not at war) with the highest homicide rates in 2022 were all in North America — nine in Mexico, and one in the US. The top city was Colima, with 181.94 homicides per 100,000. Number 8 was New Orleans, with 70.56 homicides per 100,000. Chicago didn’t make the top 50.
This still does not make me any more interested in visiting or driving through any of a number of Chicago neighborhoods, even during daylight.

I'm pretty sure these 6 things cover any Danger, whether TAS warnings, Imperial Navy or Scout Service Interdiction.
  1. Dangerous Wildlife
  2. War Zone or Violent Conflict
  3. Destructive Environment
  4. Violent Crime or Law Level 0
  5. Immature or Indignant Culture
  6. Hazardous Atmosphere
Not 100% sure. Anyone else?

Extreme law levels and certain government types could also warrant Amber/Red warnings.
high law levels for certain: you are more likely to be checked by the rules the higher the law level, and in MTU I often have high law level systems hand you the equivalent of a sevral thousand page PDF (or if low TL, actual book!) that you have to sign off on to leave the port acknowledging the laws. Basically, a giant EULA that of course, few people can read and understand. and then depending on the government, well, incarceration or "just do us this favor and we'll wave the usual punishment" sort of thing.

Admin helps with understanding that, or, depending on the system Legal.

In MgT and MgT2e, the major empires beyond the Imperium are de facto Amber Zones according to TAS.
The various Vargr states are too much in flux for TAS to maintain detailed ratings. So a blanket Amber.
Act like a "barbarian" and the Zhodani, K'kree and Aslan will deal with you accordingly.
Solomani Starports are owned wholly by the planet in question, not the Confederation. There is no higher authority to appeal to in any meaningful way.

In Traveller5 and the new MgT2e World Builders Handbook , there are the HASS Ratings. Though all may be of use, I think Acceptance and Strangeness will be most useful in seeing how quickly, culturally, your Travellers will get in trouble.

(Pop + Flux)
Heterogeneity measures social diversity. Low heterogeneity indicates fundamental agreement on social customs and behaviors. High heterogeneity indicates a spectrum of differences in society. Heterogeneity indicates the degree of differences or diversity within society..

(Pop + Importance)
Acceptance is the degree of xenophobia (or xenophilia) in the culture. High Acceptance is evidenced by friendliness to outsiders and offworlders; Low Acceptance is characterized by fear or rejection of outsiders. Where Heterogeneity shows the degree of diversity in society; Acceptance shows the degree of tolerance.

(Flux + 5)
Strangeness is the degree of difference from the norms of interstellar society. High Strangeness is evidenced by unusual or outwardly incomprehensible actions, statements, or responses in the course daily activity. Low Strangeness reflects activities close to interstellar norms.

(Flux + TL)
Symbols used by the culture may range from the concrete (idols; totems; statuary) to the abstract (symbolized belief systems; group affiliations).

In Traveller5 and the new MgT2e World Builders Handbook , there are the HASS Ratings. Though all may be of use, I think Acceptance and Strangeness will be most useful in seeing how quickly, culturally, your Travellers will get in trouble.

(Pop + Flux)
Heterogeneity measures social diversity. Low heterogeneity indicates fundamental agreement on social customs and behaviors. High heterogeneity indicates a spectrum of differences in society. Heterogeneity indicates the degree of differences or diversity within society..

(Pop + Importance)
Acceptance is the degree of xenophobia (or xenophilia) in the culture. High Acceptance is evidenced by friendliness to outsiders and offworlders; Low Acceptance is characterized by fear or rejection of outsiders. Where Heterogeneity shows the degree of diversity in society; Acceptance shows the degree of tolerance.

(Flux + 5)
Strangeness is the degree of difference from the norms of interstellar society. High Strangeness is evidenced by unusual or outwardly incomprehensible actions, statements, or responses in the course daily activity. Low Strangeness reflects activities close to interstellar norms.

(Flux + TL)
Symbols used by the culture may range from the concrete (idols; totems; statuary) to the abstract (symbolized belief systems; group affiliations).

Essentially, Low Heterogeneity & High Strangeness would be a potential warning flag for you to watch your step, and couple that with a Low Acceptance rating and you are asking for trouble.

I'd also add in the law level and type of government the world has. I'd think both very low and very high law levels would be conducive to a world being more dangerous. Low levels allow for lawlessness, crime, and 'street' or mob justice, while high law levels encourage black markets (assuming the government has more control over the market), smuggling, and increased potential for interaction with law enforcement. A totalitarian or authoritarian government type would also tend to increase criminal activity of all sorts.

Population level is another factor. As a world's population increases so does the potential for criminals to exist. A very large population allows criminals to act in relative obscurity as far as who they are. That is, the criminal acts against persons they don't know or care about or uses 'the crowd' to get away with crimes using others for cover.

So, I would think that a world with a high population, say particularly 8 or 9+, high law level (9+), and a totalitarian, authoritarian, dictatorial, or theocratical world would be one that is relatively dangerous on a day to day basis.

I'd also think that amber and red zoned worlds may or may not be dangerous depending on why they are so rated. For example, such a world that is heavily or entirely militarized might be zoned such because the government doesn't want you going there. There's no real local danger involved, they just don't want you seeing what they're doing there.

There could also be worlds that are dangerous simply because of natural conditions on the planet. Let's say you have a water world where the tides are measured in kilometers. That could be a very dangerous place to have to deal with. Or the local fauna is very hazardous to your continued existence.

I just think it'd be something people publishing guides and encyclopedias would want to include in their descriptions. You know, Mostly harmless... as an example.

The bribery skill implies the Imperium is a rather corrupt place
That's an overly broad interpretation.
There are undoubtedly pockets of corruption in every sector, but it's not going to necessarily be a ubiquitous factor.

The Third Imperium is not the Vargr Reaches, after all. 🤫

Back