• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

LBB again?

LBBs are great for published adventures. The GM can hid them easily behind a screen and reference them much easier than the larger books. I also found when running adventures table space for the GM is at a premium and the small size would help that.

I just came back from the FLGS. Almost every game was published with full-color illo's for the cover art. On the shelves, it was a lot like looking at a new camo scheme.

The CT LBB format stands out in this environment very well. In this time of over-the-top exterior illustration, and shoddy interior illustration and layout, the CT format wins my money hands down.

Plus, as the saying goes in marketing: strike while the iron is hot. LBB releases allow for sections of T5 to be released when done....I know that is not the usual path of a cohesive system, but where will we all be in two plus years? The old debate: wise patience or decisive action? Hmmmmmm...

Gats'

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PinkSplice:
I just came back from the FLGS. Almost every game was published with full-color illo's for the cover art. On the shelves, it was a lot like looking at a new camo scheme.

The CT LBB format stands out in this environment very well. In this time of over-the-top exterior illustration, and shoddy interior illustration and layout, the CT format wins my money hands down.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can see where your coming from, I agree with the sentiment. However the minimalist tactic fails more often than it succeeds. Rather than stand out, the noise of all those loud publications makes your LBB's invisible.

If I was expressing my own preferences I would be delighted with the LBB format, its everything its proponents say it is.

However the market is radically different, the target demographic is going to consist mostly of people who have not played or even heard of traveller before.

I guess I am getting to wrapped up in the 'media is the message' nonsense, Its the contents not the packaging that will be the reason fot T5's rise or fall.Historically the format of games tends to be a subject of minor anoyance not a significant factor in its success or failure.

Some of you will be horrified to learn that I keep my LBB's in the BBB (Big Black Box) that the traveller:TNE Deluxe Edition came in. The clean black with red stripe cover has a mock ripped effect to show the TNE softback cover 'underneath.

Just a little bit naff!

;)

------------------
Mark Lucas
Lucas-digital.com

[This message has been edited by lucasdigital (edited 08 June 2001).]

Back