• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

LEGO Traveller

Sir Brad

SOC-13
Ok baby siting a sick 8 y.o. today and watched the LEGO Movie, with a lot more Trav in my life ATM I got to thinking

LEGO Traveller

Prue Awesome or Epic Fail?

what do you think? and if it works what would be the sets?

some ideas I've had

Phase 0/Intro
Mini-Fig Pack: Travellers (Scout, Free Trader, Star Merc, Ships Engineer)
Poly-bag: Cargo Robot
Poly-bag: Star-port check point
Poly-bag: Varg Grav-Bike

Phase 1
Air Raft Chase
Port Office
Warehouse Heist
????? Type A Free Trader

Phase 2
Battle Pack: Star Mercs
Mini-Fig Pack: Citizens of the Imperim
Star Town Bar
????? Type A2 Far Trader
????? Type S Scout

Phase 3
Black Star Type P Corsair
Guardian Type T Patrol Cruiser
Battle Pack: Imperials (Sergent, 2X Trooper, Weapons Trooper)
Battle Pack: Corsairs (Corsair W/2guns, Cutlass & Gun, Long Gun, Varg Corsair)

Battle Pack: Zhodani (Noble Officer, 2X Trooper, Weapons Trooper)
Imperial G-Carrier
Zhodani Weapons Sled

Oh, you baby-sitters must have a lot of free time to think that far ahead!

At one point I had "created" all sorts of nifty looking guns for my Classic Space LEGO minifigs, and printed little coat-of-arms stickers for their torsos: Imperial starburst, Norris, Daibei, Dulinor, Margaret, and so on.

The scale is ... well it's large, but it might be fun. I think someone may have built a cutaway Type S at minifig scale before... but again I think it would be large.

By "large", I mean... well a minifig's 2-ton stateroom would need at least 6 x 6 'dots', surrounded by walls 5 bricks high to indicate full-height.

Last edited:
Brick Dimensions

using this web page as a guide

http://www.robertcailliau.eu/Lego/Dimensions/zMeasurements-en.xhtml

I accept the challenge of determining how the bricks can be used to approximate the interior of a starship (I admit that I have, for as long as I can remember, been obsessed with the tolerance of deck plans used in most games in that they incorrectly represent wall thicknesses, and mechanical spaces).

I'll be back after some research

On early today Shift, so Ma-Ma (my mum) has bean looking after the kid since Sunday Morning for 12-16 hour stretches wile their parents work, so I took the munchkin for a half day. and between the SW Rebels pilot and the LEGO Movie we built some of my vintage Space Lego, when I got home I needed something to get my mind off of kids shows and LEGO Traveller sprang from my mind in like 20 minutes from "Hey What If?" to "Submit Topic"

Edit: I was thinking of Retail sets over Collector, Architect or Legendary Fan Projects

A couple of Space Scooters, Rocket Launch Truck and a Free Build of a Moon Base on Crater Bases and "Space Roads".

had to sub in some modern City Astronauts since the last of my classic 80's Space Men are about done for.

A couple of Space Scooters, Rocket Launch Truck and a Free Build of a Moon Base on Crater Bases and "Space Roads".

had to sub in some modern City Astronauts since the last of my classic 80's Space Men are about done for.

Say the word if you need a couple of replacement spacers.

Also: I've found that "Octan" minifigs are decent replacements for Classic Space. They almost (almost) look like they belong on a moonbase. Just need a helmet, air tank, and preferably white hands...

Ok baby siting a sick 8 y.o. today and watched the LEGO Movie, with a lot more Trav in my life ATM I got to thinking

LEGO Traveller

Prue Awesome or Epic Fail?

I used to be a major Lego nut as a child, although I gave it away to the son of a friend about 20 years ago. Of course, it mostly got used for building spaceships (follow the instructions? why would I want to do that? :rofl: )

At odd times I've thought of getting one of the Imperial Star Destroyer kits (plus whatever odds and sods I need) and bastardising it into a Type-S. One could do similar things with other starship designs but the similar shape of the Star Destroyers to the Type-S would lend it to being used in this way.

If you are not a LEGO purist, the Halo minifigures by Mega Bloks are somewhat more realistic than the LEGO figures and about the same scale. They come with a very wide range of spacesuits, uniforms, weapons, and even aliens. They are available at most toy stores and Walgreens. Google them to see images of the full range

There's a great hard diving suit figure made by Playmobil that could be passed-off for a vac-suit.

The helmet in particular reminds me of the spacesuits in the original Alien film.

deepdiver.jpg

Emmett Brickowski
777777 Age 30, Other, 3 terms, Cr 1,000
Demolitions-2, Mechanical-1, Brawling-1, Wheeled Vehicle-1, Small Watercraft-0. Psionic rating 10, untrained.

Bricks and scale

So, jumping on AutoCAD, and with calculator, pencil, paper, and the Legos on my desk. Here's the first thing I found out

If you wanted to build a custom (your own) deck for Lego play in the Traveler Universe, and you were as nutty as I am about scale and accuracy (as close as I can get anyway), the first thing you establish is that Minifigs are easily shown to be 1/48 scale (unless you were a war game purist and measured to the "eye" of a figure instead of the top of the figure)

So at 1/48 scale, a standard 8 x 2 brick would be (on your scale ship)

18.141732 inches tall
60.0944882 inches long
29.858268 inches wide

which might work out for exterior (armored) bulkheads and some interior, maintenance shaft) walls, but really is too thick for a standard interior wall.

So use a one stud wide brick for your interior walls, this makes them 14.740157 inches wide, which is huge, but allows for the "idea" that door, hatches, or Iris' all disappear into the wall when opened, right.

If your standard Deck Clearance (the space between the floor and the ceiling) is say, 7' 10" (the rest of the space of the standard Deck Height is concealed behind deck or ceiling panels, where inertia dampers, conduits, and other mechanical aspects are "hidden") - you would represent this with approximately

5 standard height bricks

I'll figure out more details soon

If you are not a LEGO purist, the Halo minifigures by Mega Bloks are somewhat more realistic than the LEGO figures and about the same scale. They come with a very wide range of spacesuits, uniforms, weapons, and even aliens. They are available at most toy stores and Walgreens. Google them to see images of the full range
Here is a LEGO Traveller scene based on one of Jesse DeGraff's cargobot illustrations that uses the Mega Blok Halo figures. The Mega Blok figures and blocks are compatable with the LEGO bricks.
picture.php

Last edited:
I've found Mega Blocs don't hold together like Lego dose, kind of like they are frighted they will get sued if the Mega Blocs do hold together, I had such hopes when I started to collect their Halo line but regret it since.

if you want to build a Air Raft that will hold four Mini Fig Travelers and some boxes it needs to be 12 studs wide and 16-18 long and one Brick 2 Plates high (not including windscreen. but Lego vehicles don't work to that scale, perhaps something 4-6 studs wide and 10-12 long would fit better, sure it will give you space for 2 Mini Figs but you would be able to fit them in a $100 star ship set.

I'm told that while Mega Blox are pin-compatible with Lego (as it were) the moulding isn't as precise as Lego (so the fit is a bit loose sometimes) and the plastic is a bit cheaper and nastier. However, that's just heresay.

So, jumping on AutoCAD, and with calculator, pencil, paper, and the Legos on my desk. Here's the first thing I found out

If you wanted to build a custom (your own) deck for Lego play in the Traveler Universe, and you were as nutty as I am about scale and accuracy ...

I think that's where you're likely to stumble and fall with Lego. You're probably better off with the figures being a bit too large, like they are in the Star Wars sets. This is (at least) somewhat practical; a 5' long Scout/Courier is getting a bit large to be feasible unless you're happy to:

(a) spend a large amount of money on Lego exchange sites
(b) have enough room to build such an item (more of a problem here than across the ditch)
(c) don't mind impaling yourself on dropped Lego bricks for the next 6 years.

I'm told that while Mega Blox are pin-compatible with Lego (as it were) the moulding isn't as precise as Lego (so the fit is a bit loose sometimes) and the plastic is a bit cheaper and nastier. However, that's just heresay.

Megablox are a bit cheaper, and are not made as well. But my son has a plethora of Halo sets and the marines and Spartans are much more detailed, and they do have better guns. And they are compatible stud-wise (in fact there are several building block companies that are all compatible with Lego blocks)

I don't mix and match, though.

There is also Brick Arms (http://www.brickarms.com/index.php) to get interesting weapons for Lego, if that's your thing. I keep looking but never buying.

there are LEGO building programs on line so you can design your own sets, even spits out a printable set of instructions and a part list, I think the one on the LEGO sight will even give you a price and send your order to the LEGO shop for you (if it's still up), that's how my Federal MP designed a model of Old Parliament House.

Back