• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

LEGO Traveller

I think that's where you're likely to stumble and fall with Lego. You're probably better off with the figures being a bit too large, like they are in the Star Wars sets. This is (at least) somewhat practical; a 5' long Scout/Courier is getting a bit large to be feasible unless you're happy to:

(a) spend a large amount of money on Lego exchange sites
(b) have enough room to build such an item (more of a problem here than across the ditch)
(c) don't mind impaling yourself on dropped Lego bricks for the next 6 years.

Well, not exactly

My AutoCAD drawings of the Type S, show the vessels maximum length as 33.4 meters (109.6 feet)

in 1/48 scale that is a model approximately 28 inches long

I am currently redrawing it with 14 inch thick walls (a single stud width brick) to see how much space I will actually lose in the deck plan.

Makes me further tempted to take a star destroyer set and bastardise it into a Type-S. If you didn't post the link I wouldn't be nearly so tempted.

Link? You mean the dimensions, because...

one of the things that just freaked me out seriously (Lego developers knew all along we would use their bricks for Traveler)

A Standard 4 x 4 stud plate is almost exactly 1.5 meters by 1.5 meters in 1/48 scale

31.8 mm x 31 .8 mm (32mm x32mm) = 1526.4 mm x 1526.4 mm (1.536m x 1.536m)!!!!

Not completely done, but preliminary sketches indicate that I should be able to model the interior spaces of a type S scout, using standard Lego bricks, with interior walls one stud/brick wide (about 14 inches) and the model will be approximately

2 feet long
1.26 feet wide

Since you cannot connect a one stud brick across the joint of two plates, I will still have full four by four stud plates for a full 1.5 meter square, in each usable deck area (no compromise of "deck plan" space as shown on standard game drawings). A stateroom that is two game squares by two game squares will be separated from an adjacent stateroom by a one stud thickness wall - get it?

Lego Traveller would be AWESOME! :devil: :eek:

I find I have some desire for scale but am willing to forgo it for FUN.

I've played in many a non-tech sword & sorcery game where Lego blocks made excellent dungeons.

Myself, to 'improvise' 3D deckplans of starships and other 1.5M based layouts, I used light cardstock with graph paper adhered to such. Mind this was back in the days of very limited quick-copy machines that could handle 60lb paper at best.

Ok some folks want to go with a to scale Architect line of Sets (likily in the 14+ range).

but what would folks like to see for a Build & Play style Theme?

I kind of figured on a "Free Trader" short story to open then introduce "Scouts" and lastly Mercs & Military, but what do other folks think?

LEGO ship Challenge

I can envision most all Traveller ships (ACS) in LEGO.

Challenge - the Type L Ring lab ship, as a ring (with the studs on the 'inside' of the ring)

I think this would would be the ultimate for RP with figures.

Just me :rolleyes:

Lego Traveller would be AWESOME! :devil: :eek:

I find I have some desire for scale but am willing to forgo it for FUN.

I'm thinking the play here is ref builds the 'sets', ship interior and base action, and players build their vehicles and characters and whatnot.

Can keep them busy in wait time while resolving other player actions, and gives them an 'excuse' to lego build as a so-called adult.

I don't need an excuse to play with my LEGOs as an adult!

I bought them! They're MINE to play with! :p

I'm 46, wife and three kids, and Star Wars Legos are the go-to birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas gifts that they give me. We're running out of shelf space to display them.

No apologies.

And there's a whole 'nother generation of kids at my parents' house playing with my ca. 1970's space guys, including my treasured gold spaceman.

I'm 46, wife and three kids, and Star Wars Legos are the go-to birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas gifts that they give me. We're running out of shelf space to display them.

No apologies.

And there's a whole 'nother generation of kids at my parents' house playing with my ca. 1970's space guys, including my treasured gold spaceman.

Major Matt Mason was my missing toy item the parents never bought into.
http://www.wildtoys.com/MMMPage/index.asp

Back