• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Lift Off?

nats

SOC-12
Now that the lift off rules are out are we going to see a new Traveller section in this forum dedicated to those at all? I already have some errata (animal weights and speeds missing)!

WAIT, they are OUT?! COOL!

Are they worth buying if I have the Traveller Main Book from Mongoose?

Spotted a couple of errata items too:
Cloth armour has no stats.

Actually, in the Referee's Handbook on p.79, Cloth Armor is listed twice. The first one (at the top) has stats (Armour Value = 3), the second listing (the third entry on the page) seems to have been lifted from T4 (the final sentence ends "Armor Value: 5 (flexible)").

Last edited:
Is there an official place to discuss problems?

I also assume that the final editorial pass has not been made, so spelling and grammatical errors are probably out of bounds at the moment, right?

I've noticed a problem in taking damage on the personal scale. It looks like they start with CT "each D goes to a stat", but then conflage MgT's armor rules with it in a way that doesn't make sense. Either clarify how armor reduces the damage (all on one dice? Spread how the player likes?) and similarly how weapons listed as 3D+3 add the damage to individual dice, or drop the CT individual dice thing and just treat all damage points from a single attack as a single "hit".

They also don't address a character's age at the end of their career section. Others have noted

I'm personally not that excited about the super-high skill levels you can easily acquire, but in my heart, I'm a LBB1-3 CT character fan, so I wouldn't be. :)

I do like the more Mekton-esque take on careers and homeworld skills though. I think it might play well in this introductory set, and I'm rather tempted to use that system for CT and MgT. (MgT has homeworld skills, but I like Liftoff's system better.)

With the homeworld skills, you could conceivably play a useful character at age 18. Like Mekton, it might be fun to have a proper option to start off as the "young hot-shot" (just allow a "no career" career that gives you a little money and the choice of one level-2 skill maybe.)

(As a side note, I suspect Mekton was originally influenced by Traveller, but I have no hard evidence to support that suspicion.)

But all in all, I'm very enthusiastic so far. I don't want my initial complaints to come across as negativity. Liftoff has a lot of potential.

I've noticed a problem in taking damage on the personal scale. It looks like they start with CT "each D goes to a stat", but then conflage MgT's armor rules with it in a way that doesn't make sense. Either clarify how armor reduces the damage (all on one dice? Spread how the player likes?) and similarly how weapons listed as 3D+3 add the damage to individual dice, or drop the CT individual dice thing and just treat all damage points from a single attack as a single "hit".

This will also create a problem with how MgT assesses results of damage (wounded/unconscious/critical, etc), and how the medical/healing rules work in MgT.

The armor-protection/hits/damage-results need to go together as a set - either use the T4 system or the MgT system. If they are mixed, they will get complicated very quickly.

Is there an official place to discuss problems?

Yes, there is...

The official forum for discussing Liftoff is at not working at the moment. Let me go tell Rouven. Don't post it here, we want it all in one place. So hang on...

Reading the German language forums over on the 13mann boards is like hearing the lyrics to a Falco song! "Rock me, Amadeus!" :rofl:

Well you shouldnt make fun of people that are more literate than yourself. I was just thinking about this when watching Eurovision - that here in the UK we are lucky if most people can even speak English properly never mind talk and sing fluently in two or more languages. I am sure most of the people on the 13Mann boards can speak relatively well in both German and English.

Well you shouldnt make fun of people that are more literate than yourself. I was just thinking about this when watching Eurovision - that here in the UK we are lucky if most people can even speak English properly never mind talk and sing fluently in two or more languages. I am sure most of the people on the 13Mann boards can speak relatively well in both German and English.

So... Actually, I wasn't making fun of anyone. I just hear German spoken so infrequently here that reading it brings back memories of hearing Falco rap his way through a song about Mozart.

And yes, most of them can probably speak English far, far better than I can speak German.

I could give you horror stories of humans (and let me point out that I deliberately avoided the use of the term "people") who come in to the retail site where I work and have problems with the English language - some of them don't speak it and have a cultural bias against learning it, and some of them are natives and they still have a cultural bias against proper usage!

The website works fine. I posted on it today.

Liftoff

http://forum.13mann.de/wbb/index.php?page=Board&boardID=67

The set is aimed at younger players. The UPP generation should be adopted by all MgT players immediately. Homeworld generation and pre-career skills too, though you'd need to reduce them to zero's to be consistent with MgT pre-career skills.

The Chargen is good but it eliminates terms, aging, all Contact/Rival types and the ultra cool Events that makes MgT Chargen so uniquely great. It reminds me slightly of GURPS TRAVELLER Chargen. Some minor changes could fix it. Also no Army or Navy careers are planned. Despite this it gives skills out in copious amounts with virtually no randomness. Three Scouts from Exploration branch would have identical skills excepting the pre and post career skills both of which are more random.

Back