• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

CT Only: Looking to publish, for free, a retroclone of Classic Traveller

I'm interested how could they help? Wouldn't they be answering FFE? I might be lost too, this board was recommended it's associated with FFE right? (License holder for CT)
I have the impression that Marc is slowly passing the "everything but T5" torch over to Mongoose as Mongoose seems to be the main Traveller torchbearer right now and has started selling the pdfs of everything except T5. I may well be wrong, but it's just a feeling I have, hence the recommendation to post your question on the Mongoose boards.

I'm interested how could they help? Wouldn't they be answering FFE? I might be lost too, this board was recommended it's associated with FFE right? (License holder for CT)
As a final help for you, Matt Sprange (as MongooseMatt) on rare occasions posts here. Check the thread below from March where he was announcing expanding Fair Use and trial ballooning on even more expansion in the future. Relevant with regards to his intentions and approaching him. He seems pretty cool.

An idea of excellent merit! If you embark on this I'd be happy to help with proofreading. There are enough differences between Cepheus Engine (in all its variations) and Classic Traveller that I'd start with your preferred version of Classic ('77 or '81), then go from there. If nothing else you'd have something for your personal use. As for getting permission from Marc: I'm not sure what the best way to contact him is, but others here may know.
Thank you! That is very generous of you!

No need if you don't use their actual copyright stuff like named settings and proper names. So you can make and sell all the game compatible material you want and even say it is compatible with D&D 5 (or whatever they call it these days) with NO LICENSE. The OGL was a farce. That's why companies like Troll Lords dropped the OGL and is publishing the same game without it. They just change the copyrighted spell names and whatnot and no more license.
Yes, it's not so much a legal matter of 'can I do this' but rather respecting the wishes of FFE, which are stated in their Fair Use page. I don't disagree. Kevin Crawford of course famously has never even once used the OGL and outright uses the D&D engine. And Sine Nomine is actually one of the most lucrative independent RPG game companies on the market.

Are you sharing rules at all? I thought you were doing an index and cross reference, or something like that.
Yes, it would be an easy to use reference tool for the Classic Traveller rules. The best corollary would be OSRIC for 1e, but to be ambitious: Old School Essentials for the 1981 Basic Set D&D. That's something I'd like to create, but to be honest would want to create it to share. Otherwise I'll keep using my Starter Set - Charts and just lots of notes lol.

Yes, it's not so much a legal matter of 'can I do this' but rather respecting the wishes of FFE, which are stated in their Fair Use page. I don't disagree. Kevin Crawford of course famously has never even once used the OGL and outright uses the D&D engine. And Sine Nomine is actually one of the most lucrative independent RPG game companies on the market.
I understand where you're coming from. However I never answer such questions using subjective feelings about the issue as that isn't much use to the person asking a legal type question.

Late to this party (I was at a different party):
A fan-based edition of the LBBs and Supplement 4 could be a great addition. It could integrate the errata and possibly rewrite a few contentious interpretations. It could also clarify the skill list, which got kind of weird when everything started cascading.

Here’s a weird idea, it could also be laid out in A5 so the text could be slightly larger for us old guys and be punched for a binder.

*one man’s opinion

Back