• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Low Berth Survival

Low Berth survival is one of the staples of good science fiction, if the universe doesn't try to kill them, then it ain't Traveller. Cold Berth Death and subsquent resurrection using some of the miracle science at TL F can make for an interesting adventure. Similarly, a player (who is seasoned) dying reminds them of what they are - meat.

Low Berth survival is one of the staples of good science fiction, if the universe doesn't try to kill them, then it ain't Traveller.

The Stars are Ours (1954, Andre Norton) has a colony ship using "cold sleep berths"... and not all survived.

The Defiant Agents (1962, Andre Norton) is another.

MT says:
To have a patient survive Low Berth revival: Routine, Medical, Int, 1min, fateful.
Use the attending medic's skills. So, a roll of 7-(Skill+(Int/5)) or more on 2d6 is needed. Assuming Joe Average Starship Medic (Med 1, Int 7), that's the same 5+ needed, and it takes from 1-16 minutes.
Taking extra time (doubling) to 2-32 minutes, makes it DM+4...
On a fail, roll for mishap on 2d. Mishap dice total
3-6 patient takes: 1d wounds, lasting 1d days, then healing normally. skin discolored and wrinkled for 1d6 weeks
7-10 patient takes: 2d wounds for 1d6 days. 1d6 weeks motor function (2 points dex) loss for 1d6 week.
11-14 patient takes: 3d permanent wounds... will heal only with medical treatment including surgury or similar level of care.
15+ patient is Dead.

Note that MT says not to use the additional mishap die from Natural 2 or fail by 2+ for low berth survival. I usually use it only if the attending doc is unskilled, the berth is damaged, or the task is made hasty... I like the rare chance of a F***-up killing a passenger, but I want it to always be malpractice that causes it... heheheh

I see a career missing from Treveller: Space Lawyer. (Or should that come under the Bestiary?):devil:

The ravening law-beast of Shylock.

Please note: Shylock was a money-lender, not a lawyer. Portia, the lawyer whose arguments ultimately defeated Shylock, was the hero, not the villain.

Shakespeare actually seems to have liked lawyers, or at least taken a realistic view of their role in society.

Wanna talk about Dick the Butcher in Henry VI, Part II? :D

Please note: Shylock was a money-lender, not a lawyer. Portia, the lawyer whose arguments ultimately defeated Shylock, was the hero, not the villain.

Shakespeare actually seems to have liked lawyers, or at least taken a realistic view of their role in society.

Charles Dickens? Bleak House?:devil:

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. - Dick the Butcher in Henry IV,2,2379

The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers. - Dick the Butcher in Henry IV,2,2379

Exactly. And how many people (ab)using that quote have any understanding of the context? Dick the Butcher was a thug plotting the overthrow of the government - he was a BAD GUY - and he wanted to kill all the lawyers because he wanted to abolish the rule of law and impose the rule of force.

Exactly. And how many people (ab)using that quote have any understanding of the context? Dick the Butcher was a thug plotting the overthrow of the government - he was a BAD GUY - and he wanted to kill all the lawyers because he wanted to abolish the rule of law and impose the rule of force.

You are quite right. But what a motley cast of would be revolutionaries! Jack Cade, to me, has always seemed insane, and he would be king. "...I will apparel them all in one livery, that they may agree like brothers and worship me their lord."

He did have one really interesting line though 2383-2385. I'll leave it off here, reluctantly ;).

Last edited:
Back