• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mandatory Reenlistment

Originally posted by Falkayn:
Taking an idea from the Linkworlds Cluster, what if on yoyr character's last tour with his merc force, they end up on a world that gets declared an Amber Zone with all travel offplanet outlawed until the Imps decide the 'emergency' is over?

Alternatively, you could have been captured and held, rather than ransomed. When the merc force finally breaks you out, you discover that you were not going to get rescued because your contract had expired - so the boss went ahead and renewed it for you so they'd have an excuse to mount the rescue ...
So many great ideas! Thanks Falkayn, and all. Makes me wish the character had clones so I could use 'em all, but then I can just save some of them for my stint as GM
file_23.gif

Taking an idea from the Linkworlds Cluster, what if on your character's last tour with his merc force, they end up on a world that gets declared an Amber Zone with all travel offplanet outlawed until the Imps decide the 'emergency' is over?
You mean Red Zone, don't you? No one stops anyone from travelling to Amber Zone worlds (They just think it's a really bad idea).

Hans

Originally posted by rancke:
You mean Red Zone, don't you? No one stops anyone from travelling to Amber Zone worlds (They just think it's a really bad idea).

Hans
DOH! Yes, I meant Red Zone (it just doesn't have the same ring to it).

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rancke:

Hans
DOH! Yes, I meant Red Zone (it just doesn't have the same ring to it). </font>[/QUOTE]True, it suggests something else now that you mention it. Funny thing is when I read the original post I swear I saw Red Zone :rolleyes:

Guys,

My chief engineer (Navy with a strong dash of Rogue tossed in) had an incredible series of rolls on his fourth term. He got battle duty (and survived barely), got the Starburst for Heroism, got promoted to Chief Warrent 3 (my GM allowed me to get an Imperial warrent rather than a commission...but the warrent terms counted as officer terms for muster purposes), and got a good roll on extra XP.

Finally, when it came time to roll for reenlistment, I got a '20'. [I was rolling hot for my 4th and 5th terms.]

Why my GM and I came up with is that Gani (my character) in the heat of battle came up with an unprecedented way of using the jump engines to help restart and contain a failing fusion reactor core. It killed half the damage control party, but it worked and saved the ship. Of course Gani was working "by feel" and even to this day he still has no idea of exactly how he did it....but that did not prevent the Imperial Navy from holding him over an extra term to try to find out themselves ;) [Gani grew to loath a certain BuWeaps Admiral during the debrief as well.]

The point is that while it might not have been what I might have chosen, it worked out well for the character concept.

-Polaris

P.S. My thoughts about balanced prior history are well known, but I have to admit that rolling for the details of your prior history can be a lot of fun.

Rolling Prior-History to add detail to your character... That's *WHY* there is a prior-history

It adds character depth even before starting the game. It helps flesh out many things about the character`s background that would otherwise be detailed through many roleplaying session.

It`s easier to get a "Feel" about the character this way...

And it`s more Fun ;)

Back