• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Marc Miller new novel

I highly disliked this phrase from the kickstarter page:

"With the completion of the Traveller5 core rules, and with all of its concepts fresh in my mind, the inspiration came to me in a flash this past June, and it has been pouring from my fingertips ever since. "

I know we are done with the gnashing of teeth over 5.0's release, but Traveller5 core rules are not complete. They are at 5.09, and 5.1 is when it will be 'complete' in my book.

At first I was excited, then I checked the Kickstarter, $75.00 for the hardback book (which I prefer over digital) kind of dampened the enthusiasm. Downloaded the "sample" epub. More disappointed with the poor grammar and misspelled words.

So, a couple questions for Marc.

1. Will this be available outside of the kickstarter campaign, and if so at what price?
Or must I be part of the kickstarter to get this book?

2. Is the digital download sample a rough draft with the above mentioned faults corrected, or is this what I can expect in a print version?

(an example of what I mean, page 8 second sentence "If fell to me to maintain that memory", shouldn't that be It fell? Page 9 third paragraph "Our quarantine ships are doing only little better.) Only little better?

Nitpicking? Yes, I find far too many books with misspelling because spell check doesn't read.
yew no what eye mean.......

The release of the ebook was delayed by a few days, I sat down to read a few pages before going to bed. I was up late, because I finished the book. From the comments I wasn't the only one. I won't buy the hardback, but only because despite my 64 years I prefer digital formats.

CW aka Trouble

Did it come out on time? Okay read?

It was delayed by a couple of days due to Don's untimely death. Well done to Marc for actually getting it out given the circumstances.

I've read the Appendices and I'm about a third of the way through (work gets in the way of all the fun stuff).

Its interesting, it'll take a bit of digesting once I'm done. Its got some depth, there are several story strands coming together as I read. The main character is a personality on a chip.... that obviously affects character development but I'm hitting the point where the Agent is actually developing as a character.

Once I'm done I'll have more of a comprehension of what it means for the OTU. Two words come to mind at the moment: shiny and obedient.....

I'll explain what I mean when I'm done.

More insight into the OTU

I got the ebook and read it a few weeks ago. Interesting story structure like Jack Vances: "The Dying Earth." It's a series of short stories told of the Agent's activation for different crisises during the first several hunderd years of the Imperium. The overall story arc paints a facinating picture of life and threats in the 3rd Imperium.

There is a lot of gaming material here and quite a bit of color too. Well worth the price of entry if you referee Traveller.

Lord Iron Wolf

I got the ebook and read it a few weeks ago. Interesting story structure like Jack Vances: "The Dying Earth." It's a series of short stories told of the Agent's activation for different crisises during the first several hunderd years of the Imperium. The overall story arc paints a facinating picture of life and threats in the 3rd Imperium.

There is a lot of gaming material here and quite a bit of color too. Well worth the price of entry if you referee Traveller.

Lord Iron Wolf

I very much agree! Fantastic novel!

Couldn't put it down!

My copy arrived Saturday and I was awake nearly all night finishing it. Very impressive for a first-time novelist; I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't read it in the book. Extremely reminiscent of classic SF. I look forward to more from this author.

Cheers!

Thom Wallis

I very much agree! Fantastic novel!

Well, I finally splurged and picked up a kindle copy of the book (I prefer real books, not electronic books that require electronics to read!)

Thus far, it seems interesting. When I got to the point where the Agent declares a system as being a red zone, I grew interested in the process involved and how quickly it could be raised.

It brought back to mind the ONLY time as a Traveller GM, I've ever instituted a change of a zone from Green to Red - done by the Star Port Governor. The reason? Some of Adabicci's power brokers were starting to change tactics from the usual "Plausible deniability" stuff to outright assassination attempts against Nobles of the Imperium on Lunion. They even went so far as to toss in a "fake" terrorist attack over the extraterratoriality line - damaging other assets in the star port in an effort to kill one individual aboard a modified freighter.

Net result was that the world was declared a red zone and all commerce was halted as well as other activity.

That episode in my own campaign gives me a high regard for the powers of anyone who can institute a red zone declaration at the drop of a hat. Not something that any member world in the Imperium ever wants to trigger I'm sure. Likewise, in my campaign, the person authorizing the red zone implementation had to answer for it directly to the Duke of Lunion - just to prove it wasn't done for frivolous reasons. I can't wait to get back to reading the book now dammit. ;)

Hal

I’ve been reading. Pretty damn good in my opinion as someone new to the Traveler verse. Some pretty dark parts though, reminds me a bit of the inquisition in 40K, of having to sacrifice millions or even BILLIONS of lives for the greater good, wondering who here would have it on them to do something like that IRL.

Back