• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General MegaStructures?

Spinward Scout

SOC-14 5K
Baron
Do you have some Strato-Granaries on a world with foodstuff growing/floating in the atmosphere?

A Trans-atmospheric Space Tether to transport people to and from orbit easier?

Or how about that skyscraper that literally reaches the edge of the sky?

Who has MegaStructures in their game?

Most of the megastructures proposed (such as the Isaac Arthur series) are possible with our current level of understanding.

We just need the economic and political will to invest in engineering them.

For a TL8 world with air/raft and fusion power plant technologies a lot of the megaprojects are not viable.

That said I do have such things pop up from time to time...

not every world discovers gravitics...

CastleintheSky

We just need the economic and political will to invest in engineering them.
It's fair (I think) to argue that the The Line (as it seems to have become called) is, perhaps, one of the first MegaStructures to be built here on Planet Terra. Obviously, things like the assorted, huge pyramids may fall into this. Even the large skyscrapers.

But this thing, this huge, long building, is something different.

It's fair (I think) to argue that the The Line (as it seems to have become called) is, perhaps, one of the first MegaStructures to be built here on Planet Terra. Obviously, things like the assorted, huge pyramids may fall into this. Even the large skyscrapers.
The Line is (functionally) an arcology that is being built sideways along the ground rather pointing up into the sky.

It is most definitely NOT the first megastructure to be built on the planet.
Pyramids in Egypt and the Great Wall of China would most definitely count as (lower tech level) megastructures.

I have O’Neill cylinders in Lagrange points around Earth. The planet got hit with a plague, most humans died, leaving about a billion that fled to the cylinders plus offworld/system colonies. They are known as the cities.

A few people survived on Earth, quarantined from ever leaving or allowed to develop past TL3. But specialized survey teams come down to mine the most valuable resource left- biological templates from life for genetic engineered drugs, products and bio industrial food production.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Arcology on worlds with a Hydrographic Percentage of 9 (90%) and A (all water or 1% to 9 %).
I view planets with a very high Hydrographic Percentage of 9 or A to have much of the land being mountainous in nature, basically mountain tops showing about the water. That does limit the amount of arable land to produce crops. Tunneling with hydroponics and artificial light seems more reasonable. I would not regard them as worlds capable of supporting a high population, maxing out in the millions, or Population 6.

I view planets with a very high Hydrographic Percentage of 9 or A to have much of the land being mountainous in nature, basically mountain tops showing about the water. That does limit the amount of arable land to produce crops. Tunneling with hydroponics and artificial light seems more reasonable. I would not regard them as worlds capable of supporting a high population, maxing out in the millions, or Population 6.
But you could also have a New Zealand, Hawaii Islands or many other Volcanic Island chains also. An Arcology would free up more arable land for crops on them. I would guess how best to use what little land you have would also be determined by the world's TL.

Im guessing a Hyd A world would produce most of its food through aquaculture…. probably with some ge “limeyfish” that have a lot of vitamin C
You are very likely correct, as that is what I assume. Genetically modified kelp would figure prominently on the menu. On some of the planets in my sector that I am building, you might also find Stellar Sea Cows, seeded by the Krell.

Do you have some Strato-Granaries on a world with foodstuff growing/floating in the atmosphere?
Not as such, but it an idea.

A Trans-atmospheric Space Tether to transport people to and from orbit easier?
Yep.

Or how about that skyscraper that literally reaches the edge of the sky?
On small planets with thin atmospheres, though I tend to go down rather than up.

Who has MegaStructures in their game?

Yes, many and varied, though I assume a larger number of Space Habitats than is normally assumed.

Back