• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Memorable NPCs

kilemall

SOC-14 5K
NPCs are the lifeblood of any campaign- through them the adventure starts, runs and concludes, and recurring characters help build a sense of world and consequence.

But the ones that are memorable are the ones that players will remember, whether a 5 minute encounter or a running campaign long interaction.

What are your tricks for making a memorable NPC?

On a bit of reflection, let's expand that question to equipment, beasts and setting. All of those are not technically NPCs, but they can operate as characters in the sense of having aspects that convey a time and place, display unique behavior that is memorable, and greatly influence the action.

For instance, a snub pistol normally is not an NPC, but a smart one can be, or one that has some bizarre way of working specific to a world. A ship can be a character, or a predator beast that shows it is whipsmart at hunting the party.

by "memorable" do you mean the players thinking "I enjoy this npc's presence in the game" or "that's the guy that blew up our last ship and killed half the party ruining our plans for the next six months of game time!"?

I reckon there's got to be a backstory that can be revealed through the campaign, so that the players have a chance to discover more about them as time goes on.

There should be flaws or inner-demons of some sort or another that they have to deal with. Even a brilliant pilot who's hired to crew their vessel may have some issues he has to deal with, otherwise what's he doing working for a crew of PCs?

They need a stake in what the PCs are doing, in one form or another. That way they can have a realistic opinion about what the players may want to do in a situation, which may not be what the players want to hear, but hey - they didn't just program a robot (or did they?....)

They should have an aim of some sort and a desire to achieve something, of some strength or another, and work towards that. Though, they may not have any of that if they've got some significant flaw that sees them just get by from day to day, with a bottle of raki next to the engineering console that they top up constantly from the still they've half-hidden behind the jump-drive.

by "memorable" do you mean the players thinking "I enjoy this npc's presence in the game" or "that's the guy that blew up our last ship and killed half the party ruining our plans for the next six months of game time!"?

Yes.

Seriously, either one will likely be memorable.

TNE campaign...

The party was always coming across an Ithklur Scout whose handle was "The Grim Reaper"...

For the main NPCs I use in my campaign I roll them up just like I would a normal character. Give them a history and personality. I look at them as my way of being a player for a short while. Here are the top three examples in my current campaign.

Wild Bill, Mechanic and Engineer
When the group started they didn't have anyone who would maintain their ship, so I rolled up a mechanic. Without any fudging he ended up with Mechanic-4, and at least 1 level in each of the engineering skills. I also rolled up some random personality traits and he is basically a savant when it comes to dealing with machines, but can't stand people. Especially people who touch his ship or tools. He also likes to drink, a lot. So he is a cross between the mechanical genius of Scotty and a stark raving drunk lunatic who is always cursing out the group for "messing up his baby." he did once kill a boarder who tried to touch his tools, with a big wrench.

Tamara Anderson, Pirate Lord
The 2nd most memorable has been a pirate, Tamara Anderson, who was the "employer" of one of the characters who had a pirate career. She has been sort of a sponsor on getting the group started in the Pirates of Drinax campaign and I used her early on to rescue the group when I put them in a ship battle that was a bit to much for them. She has been a contact for information at various times and a source or rumors as well. I modeled her after my Commander Shepard from Mass Effect, even built her a custom "Normandy". So it is pretty easy for me to "get into character".

Capt. Simmons
The group needed to recruit a 2nd ship captain for a ship they acquaired and they convinced a planetary defense system captain to join them, Capt. Simmons. It was a tough sell because they are technically pirates, but after they intervened when some Aslan slavers were attacking a passenger ship where Capt. Simmons was seriously out-gunned, she felt she could do good with them. She is the captain on their ship that they leave behind to keep other pirates out of their territory, so it all works out.

Typically I try to keep NPCs to a bare minimum, both in number and in detail. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of them. I come up with a voice and quirks for some of them to spice them up a bit, but otherwise they're cookie cutters.

For the last game I ran, though, the party needed a particular type of character. This was a Pathfinder game (D&D 3.75 for those who don't know), and somehow there managed to be no magic user, so I made some semi-helpless young sorceress the party rescued who decided to hire the party for self-defense, and take her somewhere she would be safe with her kind. Meanwhile, the party had its own missions, so she wound up tagging along.

One of the first things that happened after meeting her was that the party was taken totally by surprise by a white dragon. White dragons aren't known for their power or intelligence, but this one got the drop on the party and with one shot trapped them and did enough damage that a second hit would kill some of the party.

You could say I had their attention.

But they also had in their possession a device that would save them, they just were too paralyzed with fear to think of it, or to realize from the things that I said that the dragon was stupid and would be easy to trick. After a couple minutes of waiting for the players to realize all this, I finally asked who had the device, and after being answered, in the sorceress' voice, pointed to the player with the device and said, "SHE did it!"

I hoped this would spur them into realizing the solution to their problem, but it didn't. So the sorceress took the device from the player, tricked the dragon into taking it into its mouth, and then spoke a command word to detonate it. It's basically a magic fireball, so it doesn't hurt the party, but it does hurt the dragon. Severely. This knocks the party out of their stupor of helplessness, but the dragon flies away in shock and terror before they can attack it.

I don't like saving the day for them, and I don't like NPCs showing up the party either. So when they decided to hunt the dragon down (because who wants a dragon pursuing them, waiting to strike at the most inopportune possible time?), I made the decision that the sorceress was NOT going to save them again. This time, though, they had a plan. The dragon still got the drop on them, still got first shot at them, but this time the party wasn't as trapped and they managed to kill the dragon with no help from me.

Further in the cave they find the dragon's eggs. The party thinks they've got a real treasure here, but in her anger at being nearly killed twice, the sorceress starts chopping up the eggs with her sword. To my surprise, no one tried to stop her, so she destroyed them all.

Later on, another player joined who was a mage, so the party didn't really need the sorceress any more, but by then she was too well tied into the story that I couldn't just walk her out without some preparation. By then, the players were pretty much in love with her, and I was going to use that against them. Not turn her evil or betray them, but basically have something happen to her that would remove her from the party and become a central storyline for the players to follow if they wanted to get justice for her. (No, not be murdered either.)

But by then the number of players grew too large for me to handle. I split the group into three different co-existing missions, giving two of them to two other players to GM for me. Sadly, even though no one was enjoying sitting around for an hour between turns, no one wanted to split the party up either.

I've found that you pick an archetype with one or two major traits, and let them evolve.

Surprisingly, the players tend to fill in the gaps on their own, and you can decide whether or not to adopt these characteristics.

A baron NPC with no money other than what he sunk into a privateer he intended to use to help rebuild his fortune with (his wife had the money - he had the bad investment sense) was encountered a few times by the players. The PC's got chewed up in one encounter when he tried to take their ship and cargo during a trade war they were subcontracting in, but they managed to blow out his power plant with a critical hit, and get away. Last they saw of him the baron was adrift and cursing them on the comms.

Forward a year later and the trade war is over (the PC's side lost) and the gang is jumping around a couple subsectors away from their usual area and they are warned off from a world they come out of Jump near. The world is a really small colony out on the fringes with not a whole lot going for it other than a couple of valuable mines that fill a 5000 ton bulk carrier once a week; the money mostly going into the pockets of the pair of minor nobility who bought the rights and live there. Anyway, the port is under attack by a flotilla of pirates so all incoming traffic is being warned to get away if they can.

The players do.

Buuuut...two weeks later they run afoul of one of those pirates who manages to take their ship and cargo..and them..and brings them back to the pirate base waaay out in the middle of nowhere beyond the law and hidden in an asteroid belt. He offers the PC's the option to sign on as a crew and eventually buy their freedom out of their shares and they accept. Since they are new, they have to ride in a large common type area under lock down until they can show they can be trusted. Low and behold, a bedraggled fellow prisoner is the same baron that they had run afoul of earlier.

Turned out he was on the world that was attacked and the PC's had diverted from. The baron was a at a fancy dress ball given by the two noble mining barons when the attack came, and he was taken with most of his crew while trying to get to the starport and escape to space. He made the same deal as the players when he used all the money he had to ransom his crew. Now he was here, still in his now filthy and worn Puss n' Boots costume from the party, complete with giant cat head and hat.

The escapades with this guy and the players were hilarious and in the end they decided he was a bit of a scoundrel, but not too dangerous of one to not become at least drinking friends with him. Now he owes them a few favors they can use later. Including a lot of poker winnings from those long days in Jump.

"Hero of the Galaxy" by Sundrud is mentioned in either 1001 Characters or the 76 Patrons book. I've never read the book, but I created "Enemy of the Galaxy" for my players. It was an NPC, probably male, that was, to my mind at least, of a Kzinti like race who could take many many hits because of its unique biochemistry. Two meters plus tall, feline / tiger or bobcat like features, he led a boarding party on an Aslan mercenary cruiser--one of the big ones from Keith's FASA Aslan Mercenary ship pack. All the Aslan had been knocked out by a gas that had been pumped into the life support system, and my players had to deal with Enemy's boarders.

Our machine gunner, toting an Aliens' gyroscopic "Steadicam" mounted LMG, emptied an entire belt into the NPC. At which point said NPC stared at him for a brief moment before his eyes rolled back and he fell to the floor. It was at this point that his surviving crew / soldiers (mostly human mercenaries) pulled him back through the airlock.

It looks like the players might be able to get a favorable DM when trying to persuade the baron when he is around other people. He probably does not want the players to retell how they found him in a Puss in Boots costume. Classic!!

The Baron's ship, “Renown” was built at the local yards to his personal design and specifications. Prior to his leaving Somerheim the Count held a party for the estates and township to introduce his crew, volunteers from detached members of the 1131st Colonials.

As written in the local paper:

…The “Renown” is a purpose built commerce raider of 300 tons and a crew of 10. The ship is heavily armed with lasers, missiles, fusion guns and looks capable of taking on cruisers twice her size. The crew is cheerful and well-motivated by promises of glory and prize money among the colonial worlds. We all wish Baron Skaarston and his crew a safe and profitable voyage…

As it turned out the "detached Colonials" were fairly inept at privateering and the only reason they didn't mutiny at some point (or just walk away and go home) was because they did actually pick up a few choice prizes by way of three 5000 ton bulk ore carriers flagged with the opposition side. That was a pretty penny, but after that the trade war ended and the Baron was stuck a long, long way from home and the fuel bill alone was going to be ruinous just to get home. So he stopped at a backwater world to carouse with a pair of minor nobles he figured he could get some money out of somehow, even if by gambling (which he is actually good at - but the player he now owes was better), only to be waylaid by a pirate raid during the costume ball.

Yes, Baron Skaarston's the only thing worse than Baron Skaarston's business sense is his timing. At least to his credit he ransomed his crew over himself. But the stories they'll tell long before he ever gets home!

Parsifal USP 5F6DE7 approx. mid-60's human male

Dealer in Bespoke Weapons Crafting

"Parsifal" is a human weapons dealer and gunsmith whose one-man shop is located on the independent world, Gehenna. He has been in business for around 30 years, though no one knows where he came from, though most speculate from Earth given he has a faint Germanic accent. Of course this could also peg him as being native to Somerheim or Blauvelt, but the more exotic rumors seem to attach themselves to Parsifal more easily than to most.

Parsifal is about 1.6m tall and with a light, trim build. His hair is closely cut in a conservative, older style and is white. He has grey eyes behind old-fashioned steel rimmed eyeglasses (which actually serve as both on-command digital magnifiers and screens for his information systems and machine tools), that are described as "kind". He rarely raises his voice except to be heard from some back room to the front of his store and moves with an easy grace and small, efficient motions. If you were to meet him on the street or in a cafe you would assume he is a tailor or accountant, or perhaps even a servant of some type, not that he works with metals and explosives.

Regardless of contemporary trends over the decades, Parsifal has always used a multi-shaded gray skin tint. Combined with his usual black business or workbench jumpsuit, Parsifal's skin tinting gives him the overall appearance of an ancient black and white photograph. More than once he has startled a customer who came in his shop and dismissed a quietly attentive Parsifal as a mannequin or life-sized poster.

Parsifal's shop is located deep behind the shadow of an enormous industrial/residential arcology: to one side the shop is bordered by the 10 meter drop to a security moat/storm wash on one side and its opposite wall is within 1cm of the arcology's walls. There is no sign outside and the nondescript, gray concrete building has only a collapsed steel door and small light above that to show it is actually a building and not some wall to close off what is otherwise an alley.

To find, or rather, to enter Parsifal's shop one needs to be invited or recommended to it. He deals only in single orders of custom firearms (no energy weapons, only chemical or magnetically propelled slugthrowers) and specialized ammunition. The customer arriving earlier than expected will find the door doesn't open until the precise moment of the appointment, and not at all if the customer is late. Since this shop is known to be located in what can be charitably called a "rough neighborhood" it is always a good idea to be precisely on time. The advantage of being in the high crime area, though, is that it has often provided his customers the opportunity to "proof" their new weapons on site so Parsifal can make any last-minute fine tuning adjustments if needed. The local police know of his shop and will provide expedited service to anyone calling from there at no extra charge, since Parsifal often provides the agency with bulk ammunition orders at cost.

Inside the shop, a prospective customer is presented with a narrow room that leads across 20 meters of carefully organized weapon displays and stacks and stacks of ammunition and parts. The opposite end has a wide service window and space for purchases to be laid out. There is a small side door of blue steel next to the service window that leads to the rear rooms containing the tool shop and warehouse. The warehouse space is small and only serves as temporary space for storing weapons and ammunition since Parsifal tries to not have too much in inventory at any given time, preferring to keep the bulk of his goods at the starport warehousing under guard. His tools shop is packed with metal bar and sheet stock, casting equipment and gunsmithing equipment. Anyone seeing his shop would be shocked that it has only one small advanced cutting tool for use with advanced materials; the rest are old-fashioned tools anyone would expect on a TL-6 world, not here on a TL-15 advanced world serving as the main trading hub of an entire subsector.

Parsifal himself would be the first to tell you he makes his custom weapons, "bespoke" as he calls them, entirely by hand and by "letting the materials speak to me as a work the desires of the specific client into them." He says gunsmithing is an art that has been in his family "since the days when a king would be proud to carry a weapon by a Parsifal, indeed - would be grateful!" As point of fact, the current Emperor carries a 12.7mm revolver made to order by Parsifal when His Majesty is wearing his Marine uniform at ceremonial functions.

A client ordering a weapon by Parsifal can specify any exotic materials to be incorporated into the design provided Parsifal approves of their quality and if they will stand up to the use of the weapon. If too gaudy or vulgar in design or material, such specifics will be left out of the final product. Customers are given 100% satisfaction but Parsifal retains the final say in the weapon construction so as to protect his reputation. Parsifal will fit the weapon to the client's build and stance, matching the weapon to that person for balance, handling qualities, and to achieve an effortless ease of targeting and firing. The weapon will generally take 30 days or so to complete and Parsifal will give the customer the pickup time and date when the order is placed.

Pricing is dependent on the materials desired and the weapon type. Parsifal will provide the final price upon delivery, with no exceptions or discounts made. This is why he also doesn't require a deposit on ordering: if the customer doesn't want the weapon for any reason, or doesn't show up, there is no charge and the weapon ends up on sale in the main shop. Custom ammunition orders for this weapon or any other are treated the same way though they usually only take 7-10 days for delivery. Parsifal can arrange to ship products elsewhere but requires the ordering be made in person. He will not deal with anyone he cannot see face to face and then shake hands with over the deal. Parsifal does not require signatures or contracts for his work - no one who can afford his services will try to cheat him, and even if they did...well, he does carry a custom gauss pistol under his suit.

In game terms any weapon Parsifal builds will at the very least give the operator a +1 bonus towards penetrating armor if using ammunition he provided for that weapon. Ammunition ordered from him to be used in any other weapons will not provide the bonuses since it isn't matched to the generic weapons on the markets.

For purposes of any handling rolls (drawing, surprise, snap shots) the shooter gets a +1 DM to the Dexterity bonus the weapon would normally provide. For any other routine shots the user gets a +2 to their Dexterity bonus. If, however, the shooter doesn't normally qualify for that bonus then they will qualify for it while using that weapon.

Any other bonuses, penalties, or attributes of a particular weapon are the purview of the referee, worked out through play between the PC and Parsifal. One should allow for abuse of the system this way, but remember that Parsifal's weapons are one-of-a-kind and made for a specific fit. They are not going to give any other person said bonuses, but rather, those will be liabilities.

My most memorable Non-Player Character occurred in the days when I was running Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on a regular basis in the early 1980s. I might still have his data card somewhere in my basement, and I should get that out. I might need him in the future.

Angus MacDuff, muleteer extraordinaire. I added him to the party of my regular players so as to add local information as needed, and a periodic kick in the pants as well. I started him as a 1st Level character, and he worked up to high 3rd Level quite legitimately. When the party tried to hire his mules without him, I had him throw an absolute fit, blasting all and sundry adventurers who failed to watch out for their pack animals, and previous groups had already cost him two pairs of good, strong mules and he was not hiring out any more teams without going along himself. As I was using the Airfix Zoo set, I had a pair of zebra that became mules, and Mac turned into a figure from the Robin Hood set, and off they went.

By the time the group sort of broke up, with members graduating and moving away from seminary. Mac was an established member of the party, and valued for his local and practical knowledge, along with his fighting ability with staff, sling, and short sword. I had him take some of his share of treasure that was silver coins, have it smelted down and properly blessed by the local Lawful Good Cleric of Ukko, and then wrapped the end of his tough blackthorn staff with silver rings, making it a formidable weapon against Undead, as well as other assorted undesirables.

I will need to look through my plastic figures collection and see what I can put together for running a game or two at Gary Con. I am not sure where I can work the Egyptian War Elephant in though.

Stiglitz, an arms dealer who's company is called Sepang Import / Export and it's always in the worst part of town.

He's short, pudgy, troll-like, balding man with a pointy nose, wearing pince-nez glasses, and a cheap suit. He has a nasally snicker and smells of sweat. His weaselly voice, and general demeanor make the hairs on your neck stand up.

He's the sort of NPC players seem to always need to get some totally illegal weapon they want for god knows what reason. He'd sell his mother for a credit but will honor any deal you make with him.

A true waste of human flesh, but if you got the cash, he's got your weapon. You make the deal, then have to go somewhere worse than the worst part of town to pick it up. Somehow, players often get 'twitchy' about his deals and a firefight ensues even as they would have had the deal they made honored... :devil:

Back