• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Metric Time

What is a 2x4 called in Europe?

A 2x4″ timber (“stud”) in the US is the original dimension before planing — when sold, it is 1/4″ less on each side, making it 1–1/2″ x 3–1/2″. In metric countries, this is sold as a 38 mm x 89 mm timber, literally the same dimension (to the nearest mm).

Imperial expansion.

It wouldn't surprise me if something of roughly the same dimensions persisted for longer than the "Customary Units" system is remembered, and a structural member of 40mm by 90mm ends up being called a 'tubaifor', for reasons lost to history.

It wouldn’t surprise me if something of roughly the same dimensions persisted for longer than the “Customary Units” system is remembered, and a structural member of 40mm by 90mm ends up being called a ‘tubaifor’, for reasons lost to history.
Over time, the second vowel would probably wear down to “tubaphore”, and future etymologists might conclude that it originally referred to a case (of that width and length) for a particular type of tube.

I wonder if there is currently any language that uses a SI unit in an idiomatic expression? Russian, for example, despite its now-universal use of SI units, still uses its own customary units in such expressions, e.g. на аршин борода, да ума на пядь (“an arshin [28 inches/71.12 cm] of beard, but of mind a pyadʹ [7 inches/17.78 cm]”), to refer to a grown man who doesn’t act his age).

What is a 2x4 called in Europe?

A 2x4″ timber (“stud”) in the US is the original dimension before planing — when sold, it is 1/4″ less on each side, making it 1–1/2″ x 3–1/2″. In metric countries, this is sold as a 38 mm x 89 mm timber, literally the same dimension (to the nearest mm).

Imperial expansion.
Boy that just rolls off the tounge.

Do they call them that, or do they just call them 2x4s?
I would just refer to them as a "4x9" (centimeters).

Back