• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mgt 2e Far Seeker

The far Seeker is a semi-standard variant of the far trader hull, that removes the excess passenger staterooms and the low berths, and installs a significantly upgraded sensor suite and mining drones, turning the far trader into a 200 ton version of the classic “seeker” conversion of the scout/courier. The large cargo bay and fuel tanks let it stay out “in the deep” longer without needed resupply, and the improved sensor systems let it find and fill its larger hold quickly as well, improving yields.

the far seeker is popular with the belter community as it can carry nearly triple the volume of ore. However, the higher cost and operating expenses of the design lead it to be a uncommon choice, and most examples are conversions of old free traders in order to keep the costs down. the basic blueprints are well known, however, and several shipyards do offer it as a new build option for small mining companies and the like.

stats (built in Mgt 2e)
200 tons, streamlined, 12Mcr

2 pts crystaliorn armour = 5 tons 1.2 Mcr

Drives
M Drive 1g= 2 tons, 4 Mcr
J Drive J2 = 15 tons 22.5 Mcr
P plant, Fusion 12, 90 PP (6 tons, 6Mcr)
Fuel 42 tons (j2, 8 weeks)
Fuel processor: 1 ton, 0.05Mcr

Power requirements:
Basic systems: 40 PP
M drive: 20 pp
J drive: 40 PP
Weapons:13 pp
Sensors: 4 pp

Bridge: 10 tons, 1 Mcr
Computer/15: Mcr 2
Software:
maneuver/0
Intellect 1 Mcr
Jump control/2 Mcr 0.2
Cost: 1.2 mcr
Sensors: Improved, 4pp, 3 tons, 4.3 Mcr
Mineral Detection suite: 5 Mcr

Hardpoints
Triple turret: Mining laser/Pulse laser/Pulse laser, 13PP 3.15Mcr, 1 ton

Crew:
Captain: 1
Pilot : 1
Astrogator : 1
Engineer: 1
Gunners: 1
Total: 5
Staterooms: 6 (24 tons, 3mcr)
Common rooms: 6 tons 0.6 Mcr

Total: 115 tons

Extras:
Mining Drones: 10 tons, 1Mcr

75 tons cargo.

Cost 67.03 Mcr
mortage cost: 279,291 Cr/month

Life support: 11,000 Cr/month (with crew of 5)
maintance cost: 5,502 Cr/month

once again, feedback is appreciated. I'm sure their's at least one mistake in this ship (their normally is), so if anyone can find it for me, that'd be great.

given the returns for belt mining in the rules printed in Mgt 2e HG, i'm not sure the design is financially viable with a mortgage (at 1,000cr/ton for common ores, it'd need to find, mine and sell 4 full holds worth of material every month to break even, compared to 2,650/month a standard free trader needs to make pre cargo ton), but then again I the classic seeker mining ship is viable under mortage in this edition either (over 5,000 CR per ton of cargo space to make mortage costs), so thats hard to hold against it.

Last edited:
once again, feedback is appreciated. I'm sure their's at least one mistake in this ship (their normally is), so if anyone can find it for me, that'd be great.

I think you forget the turret itself:
Triple turret: Mining laser/Pulse laser/Pulse laser, 12PP 2.15Mcr, 1 ton
A triple turret should add MCr 1 and 1 Power.

You could replace the jump fuel tanks with "Fuel / Cargo Containers", that way you can use the jump fuel tonnage as cargo when you are not jumping.

I think you forget the turret itself:

A triple turret should add MCr 1 and 1 Power.

You could replace the jump fuel tanks with "Fuel / Cargo Containers", that way you can use the jump fuel tonnage as cargo when you are not jumping.

duely noted, and corrected.

i'm not sure what you mean with the "fuel/cargo" thing. the rules are quite clear that tanks that are able to power the jump drive (demontable tanks) take 4 weeks to install/remove, and don't fold down, which would basically mean its stuck wherever it ended up, and the ones that take up less space when empty (collapseable fuel tanks) explicitly cannot be used to power the jump drive.

I mean, if you just strip the j drive and fuel tanks out completely, yhea, you could add another 55 tons to the cargo bay and take 22.5mcr off the cost, which would make it much more viable, but then you stuck getting the ore to a buyer.....

Back