• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Modding RPGSuite Character Generator?

Nathan Brazil

SOC-14 1K
Baronet
I have, I bought it, but "I want some more".
Since you cannot do it thru menu options and such (I think), is there anyway to load your own mod data? Like say:
  • A DIFFERENT Sector (like Solomani Rim), for other Homeworlds
  • YOUR OWN species
  • YOUR OWN careers
  • YOUR OWN 3-D portraits.
All of these would of course be "unofficial". I know you can modify characters on a singular basis in Character Sheet after Character Generation. But I mean specifically for Character Generator. It looks like the software uses Unity but I dont know if that is just graphical assets as I am not skilled in it. Has anyone tried?

I've not tried: I could look at the installation to see if it includes any DBs but at a guess, nothing available to the end user. And pretty sure Unity is just for the graphical side of things. If (big if here) they are using an external API to TravellerMap then they could make it an optional setting switch to pick the sector. But I really doubt that is the case: it is probably a self-contained DB where they have all that data stored. And by DB, not necessarily a "real" DB but some sort of datastore. But all just guesswork. I think they have a forum. I do know they are pretty good about error reporting (somehow I managed to get a CR/LF in a character name and it broke the engine! They figured it out & assuming they have made a patch to cover that particular user error!)

also, being a Windows install, there could be some data in the user local/roaming/etc directories which is where "modern" Windows apps store a bunch of things. But I'd be really careful when mucking about: I'm using a library application that uses SQLite and it did not have magazines for some reason as a book type (magazine articles, but not magazines). Having the tools, I poked in the DB and added the publication type. it broke the application until I added the types of things (author, publish date, etc) it has associated with it.

In the end - make a request. Maybe they will make that an option. And now I need to check: I bought the Aslan module and did not see if it uses the Spinward Marches or one of the Aslan Hierate sectors!

It looks like the software uses Unity but I don’t know if that is just graphical assets as I am not skilled in it. Has anyone tried?
I took a look at the contents of the macOS installer for RPGSuite. (I’ve never used the software.) Judging by the included file names, its Unity DLLs cover much more than only graphical assets. It also contains a C# DLL, a Mono DLL, a “Microsoft Core” DLL, a “.NET standard” DLL, and several “system” DLLs. My initial guess would be that RPGSuite’s database component uses the relevant APIs of the .NET Framework, since there’s no DLL that seems to be specifically dedicated to database functions. (There is a System.Data.dll file, but it’s likely to be unrelated to character generation.)

I have, I bought it, but "I want some more".
Since you cannot do it thru menu options and such (I think), is there anyway to load your own mod data? Like say:
  • A DIFFERENT Sector (like Solomani Rim), for other Homeworlds
  • YOUR OWN species
  • YOUR OWN careers
  • YOUR OWN 3-D portraits.
All of these would of course be "unofficial". I know you can modify characters on a singular basis in Character Sheet after Character Generation. But I mean specifically for Character Generator. It looks like the software uses Unity but I dont know if that is just graphical assets as I am not skilled in it. Has anyone tried?
You know these are my questions too.

I took a look at the contents of the macOS installer for RPGSuite. (I’ve never used the software.) Judging by the included file names, its Unity DLLs cover much more than only graphical assets. It also contains a C# DLL, a Mono DLL, a “Microsoft Core” DLL, a “.NET standard” DLL, and several “system” DLLs. My initial guess would be that RPGSuite’s database component uses the relevant APIs of the .NET Framework, since there’s no DLL that seems to be specifically dedicated to database functions. (There is a System.Data.dll file, but it’s likely to be unrelated to character generation.)
All that is for the .NET stuff running on Mac. Unity primarily uses C# for scripting (though can support javascript I believe). My only experience w/Unity was going through a tutorial (and I could tilt & pan my plane to keep the ball moving around!) but it was all C# code. For those not in the programming world. MS open-sourced .NET a while back and it now runs on Mac, Windows, Linux, Android & iOS (in theory).

But of course I digress, sorry. In looking through the Windows side of installation, similar as above. No easy to see "here is the database" file one could edit with the appropriate tools.

And it does look like when I bought the Aslan module, the Hierate worlds are added
1706707217608.png

Back