• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Mongoose Traveller Mini-AP

Were the attackers just rolling poorly, or did the defenders have high-tech Combat Armor? The TL11 version you can get on mustering out only has Protection 12, and ACRs do 3d6 - some damage ought to get through on an above-average roll, or even an average one with a few points of effect. If they were using burst fire it'd be 3d6+6, which ought to penetrate on average.

If they had higher TL combat armor I can see the issue - but then we are talking about something that's +2-4 TL to the weapon in question, and so it probably should be pretty effective.

The CA in the muster tables didn't specify a limit like they do with Combat Implants, so I told the players they could have the lowest TL CA or the TL of their homeworld, whichever was better. Still, in the Gateway 993 setting, TLs aren't as high, and we only had one merc with TL 12 CA; the other 2 had TL 11 armor.

Nonetheless, basically the enemies were doing 0-2 points of damage per successful hit, while the PC mercs, who were mostly armed with laser carbines and rifles, were regularly doing 10+ after armor and often invoking the knockout blow rule on page 66 (which I was using).

Even once the enemy laser snipers were on the scene, they rolled poorly. The one that hit a merc rolled poorly enough that it didn't penetrate the armor.

Edit: I had forgotten the burst fire rule and was just using the autofire rule. That might have made a difference. :/

Last edited:
Just a question, were you also including the effect rule? I.E. margin of success added into the rolled damage. Target 8, rolled 9 with a 2 skill for 11, then rolled 3d=12+3 for margin of success for 15 points of damage.

Just a question, were you also including the effect rule? I.E. margin of success added into the rolled damage. Target 8, rolled 9 with a 2 skill for 11, then rolled 3d=12+3 for margin of success for 15 points of damage.

I'm embarrassed to say I missed that too (but did re-read that afterword), but it wouldn't have made much difference for any of the enemies except the snipers, who got taken out too soon. It would have helped the PCs (who got a few decent shots in.)

S'ok. You learn a game by playing it, neh?

Last edited:
Too true, got a couple things coming up in my campaign soon. On the fly last week I kitbashed a set of rules to determine a friendly tournament system for a function the players are attending. It worked out just fine, just enough detail, not any minutia (I can sometimes get a little bogged down in describing a situation, it's a known failing of mine.).

I also got my first non wtf feedback.......He'd be happier with Gurps:p. Trying to spread the Good Word (Traveller) is not always easy, lol.

Nice posting by the way.

Homecoming Session 4/03/09, part 1

Ran this again, concluding the Homecoming adventure.

Ayza's player returned this time, and we had a player missing from our group for a bit who had been a bit sick.

The new player has a history of making rogue type characters, so I made a rogue for her. As with Ayza, I pre-made the character in the interest of speed, and let her pick the connection and skill package skills, make up the allies & enemies (except one ally) and name the character. The character rolled was a 3 term rogue/2 term drifter.

She named the character Isadora Duncan (named after an early 20th century dance performer). The ally I chose the details of I named Diogenes. Diogenes was a "ghost in the machine" figure, and idea I took from 760 patrons. Basically, Diogenes was a figure that Isadora only knew online who was occasionally helpful, but who she had never met. (Diogenes was named after Diogenes the Cynic, who is known for carrying a lamp through the streets of Athens in the day, claiming to be "looking for an honest man". I wonder if my players will get the reference).

Homecoming: Epilogue
(Spoilers Continue)

Annapabar (Ley 1936)
A4367A9-D B

The last part of Homecoming was mostly roleplaying, which would have been boring for Ayza and the new character, since they were not involved. So I resolved to add a bit of investigation/action at the beginning. As detailed in last session's log, someone tried to kill the players with a bomb as they were returning from the scout base; I decided that Ayza had been left behind to investigate this man, and that she tapped Isodora (who she had a connection with) to try to find the ambusher.

Since the rest of the group was on their way back from Lirguu (which would take at least 2 weeks), I started with Ayza's & Isadora's investigation.

The bomber had escaped and had managed to switch of surveillance along his route. I let the pair use their own resources to feel out what to do. The one that finally got them somewhere was talking with one of Isodora's allies, a local fence. The fence did not know the suspect, but he knew who the main supplier of high tech untraceable explosives on world was.

First they tried to hack into the explosives-dealer's computer to get info on the bomber, but failed horribly. But Damocles contacts them, offering to help. After a few days wait, he contacts them later with a series of surveillance photos (apparently all customers of the explosives dealer) asking which is theirs. They pull out a photo based on Trillian's description.

The hack having failed, but a picture of the man in hand, the players went to talk to the explosives supplier in a sectioned-off area of a seedy bar under watch of paranoid and unfriendly guards. The pair made a few good deception rolls and manage to get a name of the man (Solva Niikiru) as well as arranging to ask Niikiru to meet with the duo.

It's about that time that the Ohasset Star, a liner bearing the rest of the PCs back to Annapabar, jumps insystem. The rest of the characters contact Ayza, and Ayza updates the group on the state of their investigation.

Soon after the PCs land, Niikiru contacts Ayza & Isadora and sets up a meet in an open area in the shuttleport of the local highport (very visible place) in 4 hours. However, Damocles informs Isadora that he traced the signal and knows Niikiru is hiding out in an old mining habitat.

The whole party decides to preemptively act to capture Niikiru; unfortunately, the group of PCs returning from Lirguu are under constant watch by the Archduke's Huscarles. Trillian talks Sir Tyler into having the Huscarle's troop carrier take them to the mining habitat.

The group arrives at the mining port; the characters that visited Lirguu have the slight problem that they are under guard by a group of Huscarles that won't let them out of their sight. In addition, the PCs who were targeted by Niikiru are sure to be recognized by him if he shows up.

So while they stay out sight on the troop carrier while the mercenaries keep any eye out at the habitat's shuttle dock and while Ayza & Isadora go to the lounge to get an idea of where Niikiru might be hiding.

Ayza & Isadora fail to get any useful information out of the miners in the lounge. Worse, as they are departing, they manage to catch the attention of a local calling Niikiru and let him know someone is asking about him.

Soon after that, Niikiru arrives at the shuttle dock looking for an avenue of escape. He spots two mercenaries, but the third (Luke) grabs him and detains him until the rest of the group subdue him.

The group takes Niikiru back aboard the troop carrier and interrogate him; they find out he knows little about the man who hired him, a safely anonymous fellow who goes by the name of Mr. Fell. They turn him over to the authorities before getting prepared for their audience with the archduke.

Mechanical Notes

This gets to one of my pet peeves about game design (to be more specific, supplement design): introduction of new skills. None of the players had interrogation (a skill introduced in Mercenaries); none of them knew it existed since it wasn't on the character sheet. But I didn't want to deny them the chance to get information out of this guy simply because a supplement introduced a skill they needed instead of being able to find one they already had.

I decided to sort of ignore interrogation (or rather, ad hoc my own skill substitution house rule) and allow the players to do the interrogation using social science (as a default level 0 skill) and persuasion + strength.

Last edited:
Homecoming Session 4/03/09, part 2

The Audience With the Archduke
(Homecoming Spoilers Continue)
The Travellers that were in the conflict at Lirguu had an audience with Archduke Marcus Aaron Erechs. Isadora and Ayza were invited along to stay at the estate, but weren't present at the audience.

Prior to the audience, Diogenes sheds a little more light on Niikiru's handler, saying that by tracing some contacts between them, he's highly likely to be a ZAK agent, the Sharushid's covert action arm (ZAK stands for Zulii Aana Korameshh, keeper of Dark Secrets), but he knows little more than that.

The audience was held in a minor conference chamber rather than the grand audience hall. The Archduke himself is a physically unimpressive man in his 50s, and he attends the audience in attire that resemble formal business attire rather than formal regalia.

There, he asked the travellers for their side of the story, which also served to catch up the other players. He querried them on several points of evidence, like how they could know Lirguu was the Wanderer homeworld and how they substantiate the incredible claim that the Vilani bureau Sharurshid acted to wipe out the Wanderers and then erased all knowledge of this event.

The Archduke also asked about the agents that harassed the Travellers and how they knew or suspected that they were Shurushid agents. At this point, the Travellers bring to light that they had found Niikiru and turned him over to the authorities. The Archduke immediately calls the watch captain in to have Niikiru transferred to the custody of his agents so he can be debriefed for his investigation (and so he doesn't conveniently disappear at the hands of ZAK agents).

Interlude: The Meeting with Lifters

After that, the Travellers are dismissed. While discussing aspects of the audience, one of the steward announces a visitor who wants to speak with the travellers. The group assents to the request.

The visitor turns out to be a vargr (for non-traveller players in the audience out there: a genetically uplifted wolf who have expanded to become a major race in their own right.) Some travellers recognize him as being "Lifters" Loursegh, three times Ley Sector Prix Imperial champion, and now banned from all racing events after a dramatic incident in which he assaulted another pilot for causing a fatal crash. However, lifters appears dressed more as a businessman than a racer now.

Lifters says he now works for the Archduke (and not as a chauffeur), and presents a proposition to the travellers:

I’m here because you seem like people who’ll try to do what’s right, and I’m making this contact in person because I’m never wrong about who’s the good guys and who’s… not.

There’s stuff going on, Gentles. Bad stuff. 3D action-vid bad. And not just this lovely can of snakes or eels or whatever it is you’ve opened with Sharushid and the Wanderers. And so I’ll ask you a question in a minute. If you say no, the Archduke will be very nice to you. You’ll get a mention on the Domain Roll of Honor. Maybe get put forward for a knighthood. You’ll probably get another ship to make more trouble in. Plus a stipend for the next few years. Good things. Worth having.

And if you say yes, you’ll get nothing.

His Grace will damn you with faint praise and send you on your way. Anyone who hears about it will--quite rightly--say you don’t deserve a thing anyway since all you did was cause a whole lot of trouble and sleeping hogs should be left lying about, or whatever it is they say. I mean it – if you say yes, you’ll get nothing. Not a thing. And here we are, the big question. Don’t answer straight away:
When the time comes, will you be the only one?

I’ll explain that. When the Domain is threatened , will you respond as if you were the only one who could save it? When the news must be carried, will you leave it to others, or will you make the journey as if you were the only one? When the odds are impossible, when you ARE the only one, will you fight on alone to save what is precious? When His Grace asks of you the impossible, when you are the only one he can trust, will you be faithful?

The players briefly debate the meaning of this, and interestingly enough, the rogue was the first one I heard pipe in with yes. But after a few theories as to Lifters' hidden meaning, everyone says "yes". (Which sort of surprised me--I figured in a group this large, someone would be all in it for new ships, etc.)

At this, Lifters' tone becomes more formal, and he spells out the implications of what they've assented to:

Bad times are coming. We can’t know what the future holds. We can only hope that as each crisis looms there will be someone to bring warning; someone to stand in the breach until help arrives. In quiet places where no-one will hear of you, you will guard the Domain as I do. And you will not be alone.
You will be given a set of emergency codes. These will identify you as members of an organization answering to the Archduke. They will not enable you to commandeer navy ships or such, because they are known only to a small number of individuals. But if you send an authentic code and another agent receives it, then he or she will help as best they can. You are, of course, expected to answer the call if you receive it.

There is no chain of command. Each of us answers to the Archduke alone. There is no support structure and no salary. Upon your retirement you will be well looked after, but until then you must rely on your own resources. This asks a lot and gives little, but we are not hiring mercenaries, we are creating a secret siblinghood composed only of the best people; those who will do right when the time comes as if they were the only one.

And you already know exactly how many members this organization has, don’t you?

The answer Isodora offers up is to count the number of people in the room. Lifters grins and offers up the answer he was looking for. "No. There is always, only one." With that, and with no ceremony, Lifters' wishes the players luck and departs.

The Archduke's Proclamation

Later, the players are summoned to the grand throne hall to attend the Archduke's proclamation with respect to the situation. The travellers are announced as they enter; the wanderer and Lirguu human delegations have already entered and been announced.

Now the Archduke is dressed in his formal regalia. After all in attendance are seated, the Archduke stands to pronounce his judgement.

In summary the archduke states that both the Wanderers and the human population of Lirguu have legitimate claims to Lirguu, but the Imperial charter protecting world governments does not apply, as the Imperium has no jurisdiction.

However, the Archduke presents a legally palatable compromise. The Imperium has a lease to wilderness land which they had leased from Lirguu for the purpose of creation of a forward scout base (but had never exercised for that purpose). The Archduke proposes that this region be given now and in perpetuity to the Wanderers as a site for settlement and colonization, on the condition that the Wanderers confine their activities to this region (barring further negotiation with the human government of Lirguu), the Imperium recognizes the Wanderer presence as legitimate, an Imperial diplomatic mission be established to act as an intermediary, and the human government permit the presence of a specified number of wanderers.

Both the human and Wanderer delegations agree to the compromise and the Wanderers offer their own statement. They state that they are no longer the same people that inhabited the world called Lirguu. They are now the wandering people, their how is the space between the stars where their world-ships dwell. Lirguu is an important spiritual site for them, but they have no intention to re-colonize the world.

The wanderers also reveal the real reason that they believe the Vilani feared the Wanderers. At the time, the Vilani had monopolized Jump-2 technology, while most of the minor states had Jump-1 at best. But when the Vilani encountered the Wanderers, they had access to jump 3 (and above) technology. Indeed, they could produce ships as high as jump-6 (which at the time period this adventure was set in, was not even common technology in the Imperium.)

The Adventure Ends, with others in store

The players depart the gateway spire, are quietly given their codes, and offered transit back to Lirguu. When they get there, they find Lifters already there, helping a crew of workers prep the Heart of Gold for transit to a wanderer ship that will take the ship back to a shipyard where the hull and structure can be repaired and the power plant replaced.

Homecoming Session 4/03/09, part 3 (closing comments)

Concluding notes

I abused the Diogenes ally I created for Isadora to peel the curtain back on some elements that the adventure sort of assume the characters figure out, but which they never really had a chance to do.

I like the wanderer concept. It breaks with a lot of assumptions about what a race/empire looks and behaves like in the Traveller universe, but I think that helps to serve up what Marc Miller called the "enigma" that is an essential element a good Traveller adventure.

I deviated from the way the adventure depicted the disposition of the ship at the end of the game. The players had their own far trader, the Heart of Gold, instead of the lab ship provided in the adventure. In its stead, the players get a yacht as depicted in the adventure. But combine the fact that I find J-2+ more conducive to getting players to adventure sites and the fact the players seemed to take a shine to taking on freight an passengers (a plot hook in itself at times), I thought I'd endeavor to keep the Heart of Gold around.

I merely decided the Heart of Gold's hull and structure were damaged and power plant needed replaced. The new character Isodora had 4 ship shares; I explained this as her having access to a cache of ship parts that would defray some of the PCs repair expenses. I still suspect they are going to have to take out a loan anyways.

The players dug the endgame, including the idea of becoming covert agents for the Archduke and the overall epicness of helping resolve a situation of this scope.

And, this adventure planted quite a few hooks for future adventures. The ZAK may continue to take action against the players; the secret fraternity might call up the players; the players might get involved in further affairs of the wanderers.

Back