• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Movement during Jump

LeperColony

Traveller Card Game Dev Team
What happens if a ship attempts to move during jump?

For instance, suppose a Battle Tender is carrying a Battle Rider, and the BR detaches and attempts to zoom off.

What happens?

For that matter, suppose one ship is carrying another jump capable vessel.

What happens if the carried vessel attempts to jump?

:toast::toast:

For instance, suppose a Battle Tender is carrying a Battle Rider, and the BR detaches and attempts to zoom off.

What happens?

My understanding was that If it will just disintergrate when it reaches the edge of the jump field.

it MIGHT be possible for a ship with its own jump drive to "bud off" and form its own jump field, but I don't think that canon and its never been suggested anyway I have seen.

Ships themselves don't "move", as there's nothing relative to move against. But, yea, if something exits the jump bubble, it's "lost" (dunno if it's disintegrated, blown up, recycled, transmogrified, or just left behind in the void of jump space).

Ships maintain their original vectors through jump space, and can't change them within it.

What happens?

Hmm, sounds like you have an interesting group of players!

1. Have to agree with Xerxeskingofking and wharfing. Leaving the jump bubble is death.
2. Never heard of anyone trying this before. And I've never come across it in the rules either. But I would imagine a second ship activating it's jump drive would affect the first jump field and cause both to fail. I think you would lose both ships, or they would both misjump. Ref's call. How much do you like your players? :devil:

Suppose a much larger ship carries a much smaller ship. Then the larger ship moves out of the jump bubble, destroying itself.

The smaller ship remains, but in a large jump bubble. It moves, changing its vector. When it emerges from jump, which vector does it have?

1) The tender's original jump entry vector?

2) The tender's final (suicidal) vector?

3) The carried vessel's original entry vector (if different from 1)?

4) The vector it has after movement within the jump bubble?

The jump bubble is created and maintained by the hull grid of the larger ship, so there is no way for it to move out of its own bubble.

If the smaller ship tried to activate its jump drive while inside a larger ship both would be immediately destroyed.

The jump bubble is created and maintained by the hull grid of the larger ship, so there is no way for it to move out of its own bubble.

Imagine a tender carrying several smaller ships. One of the smaller ships generates thrust, moving the entire block forward, then detaches. The larger ship encounters the bubble, the smaller ship remains.

Imagine a tender carrying several smaller ships. One of the smaller ships generates thrust, moving the entire block forward, then detaches. The larger ship encounters the bubble, the smaller ship remains.

Based upon T5, can't happen. The largest ship has to be the one generating the bubble, and the bubble remains fixed on the hull of the larger ship. Tossing the smaller one out changes the big one's N-space vector on exit, but since the bubble is a function of the hull, it has no effect on the big ship during jump.

If the smaller one tries to jump, it can't take the big one along with, and it also automatically misjumps, for being inside 10 Diameters of the big one.

Based upon T5, can't happen. The largest ship has to be the one generating the bubble, and the bubble remains fixed on the hull of the larger ship.

So then what happens if, in normal space, a smaller carried vessel attempts to jump while in a tender? Does the jump fail?

And suppose the shape of the tender's hull changes? For instance, imagine an inflatable sphere with a jump engine. It enters jump. Then deflates. Does the jump bubble remain the same because it is fixed to the original dimensions of the jumping vessel's hull? Or does it shrink because it is fixed onto the now shrunken hull?

If the smaller one tries to jump, it can't take the big one along with, and it also automatically misjumps, for being inside 10 Diameters of the big one.

Does the smaller ship jumping away impact the larger ship's jump in any way?

So then what happens if, in normal space, a smaller carried vessel attempts to jump while in a tender? Does the jump fail?

In T5, vessels are treated as objects with 100 diameter limits, like any other body. When one ship is within another ship's 100-dia limit, a jump initiated by either ship will cause a jump mishap to occur to the smaller vessel (or object).

And suppose the shape of the tender's hull changes? For instance, imagine an inflatable sphere with a jump engine. It enters jump. Then deflates. Does the jump bubble remain the same because it is fixed to the original dimensions of the jumping vessel's hull? Or does it shrink because it is fixed onto the now shrunken hull?
In T5, that would depend upon the jump-readiness configuration. The default jump-readiness is a spherical-region (i.e. a "bubble") centered upon the jump engines. In such a case the configuration of the ship (or change thereof) shouldn't matter, as long as the dimensional change doesn't cause a protrusion beyond the jump bubble.

OTOH, if the ship's jump readiness option is configured as "plates" or "grid" (which is a design-option when building the hull), then the jump field follows the dimensions of the hull much more closely. Your question above is then much more tricky, and I do not know if I can give you a T5-canon answer.

Spectacularly so.
Depends upon the style of field generation.

If it's not a hull grid, no. If it's a hull grid, then yes, it shrinks.

The field is NOT what moves you through jump space. It's merely what keeps Jump space from eating you. Push a hand through the edge of the bubble, and you lose everything past the edge.

Your J-Space vector is fixed upon jump entry. You cannot change it. Jumps from within J-space are supposed to fail spectacularly. As in, IIRC, "all attempts resulted in loss of both vessels"...

if it's within 10 diameters of the smaller ship, it takes some damage. Note that the smaller ship pretty much fails to exist at that point...

Bubbles for rider capable ships as they may change shape and size.
grids for fixed shape ships.

pg335 in T5.09
The Jump Bubble affects each continuous object within
it separately. A jump drive operates on the ship tonnage
contained within its jump field. The ship with its Jump Drive
almost always operates properly; other objects within the
bubble suffer Jump Mishaps.

Mostly.

For the most part I agree with the group but note in T5 you can use reaction mass drives to change your vector in Jump Space. So, you can move in J-space you just need reaction drives since there is no gravity to push against. I would cite page number but the books are still packed.

And yes, initiating Jump inside Jump is an invitation to the Ref to have fun and do the twisty thing. :devil:

For the most part I agree with the group but note in T5 you can use reaction mass drives to change your vector in Jump Space. So, you can move in J-space you just need reaction drives since there is no gravity to push against. I would cite page number but the books are still packed.

And yes, initiating Jump inside Jump is an invitation to the Ref to have fun and do the twisty thing. :devil:

Sounds like a High Passage ticket to a mirror universe....

Back