• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MT Only: MT Tac Missiles plus some other Weapon fixes

Major B

SOC-14 1K
Since Harry Bryan is planning to publish a new version of MT with all errata incorporated into the text, I offered to dig up some previous work on MT missiles. He is on a tight timeline so I thought I could start this thread to generate input, spot check my work, and help contribute to the final product.

I just found to most recent file with my work, last saved Sep 21, 2010. All the more reason to ask for help to jog my memory to get this done.

Here is a link to a file in the file library since I can't attach it myself. It is the most recent (7 year old) version of what I was working on during my last deployment. (I will update and include the link when I upload the file)

If you download the file you'll see 5 tabs.

The first two are expanded and corrected table for mortars and mortar ammunition. The entries in black are what was published in MT. Red text are corrections that I assume were an imperfect port from Striker. Blue text is expanded by extrapolation of the corrected data and the tables in Striker.

Tabs 3 and 4 are expanded and corrected howitzer tables using the same coloring conventions described above. The ammunition table is incomplete.

Tab 5 is a worksheet I created to generate missiles. To use it, start at line one. Click once on the grey box. Now click on the down arrow to see a drop menu. Select what you one and then move down the sheet in a similar fashion. If any of the dark grey boxes change from green to red text, you have violated a rule parameter and need to amend your previous drop-down choice.

My questions to start feedback are:
1. Should we include the updated mortar and howitzer tables in the next update or is it too much detail?
2. Should I do a corrected gun table too?
3. Is the missile system generator working and will the outputs port into MT directly?

Last edited:
Major B,

I've had fun playing with your spreadsheet.

I guess the question for me has always been how to integrate tac missiles into MT play - rather than can we design them like Striker.

Have you got some draft rules?

I guess the question for me has always been how to integrate tac missiles into MT play - rather than can we design them like Striker.

Have you got some draft rules?

Sadly no. I did have some notes written down back when I was working on this but I haven't been able to find them yet. I'll keep looking through the weekend but chances are I'll have to start from scratch which will be tough because I'm in a big T5 project now.

Ojno the Red sent me a note awhile back saying he'd be up to working on missile rules with me. Are you interested in collaborating?

Mike

I am not publishing, FFE is publishing

Since Harry Bryan is planning to publish a new version of MT with all errata incorporated into the text, I offered to dig up some previous work on MT missiles. He is on a tight timeline so I thought I could start this thread to generate input, spot check my work, and help contribute to the final product.

I just found to most recent file with my work, last saved Sep 21, 2010. All the more reason to ask for help to jog my memory to get this done.

Here is a link to a file in the file library since I can't attach it myself. It is the most recent (7 year old) version of what I was working on during my last deployment. (I will update and include the link when I upload the file)

If you download the file you'll see 5 tabs.

The first two are expanded and corrected table for mortars and mortar ammunition. The entries in black are what was published in MT. Red text are corrections that I assume were an imperfect port from Striker. Blue text is expanded by extrapolation of the corrected data and the tables in Striker.

Tabs 3 and 4 are expanded and corrected howitzer tables using the same coloring conventions described above. The ammunition table is incomplete.

Tab 5 is a worksheet I created to generate missiles. To use it, start at line one. Click once on the grey box. Now click on the down arrow to see a drop menu. Select what you one and then move down the sheet in a similar fashion. If any of the dark grey boxes change from green to red text, you have violated a rule parameter and need to amend your previous drop-down choice.

My questions to start feedback are:
1. Should we include the updated mortar and howitzer tables in the next update or is it too much detail?
2. Should I do a corrected gun table too?
3. Is the missile system generator working and will the outputs port into MT directly?

I am just imputing the additions, clarifications, and explanations for FFE for the new MT CD and Drivethru.

MajorB -

1. I would say it is too much detail. If we do it for these 2 tables, it would need doing for all tables, and then we are approaching Gunmaker territory.

That being said, there is no reason I can't whip it into a MT layout, and we provide it in the file section at COTI, for gamemasters that want that level of granularity. That is why I made the templates that are in the files section in the first place.

2. See above.

3. So far, so good. But I'll could use access to the raw numbers to put it into chart form. The spreadsheet is definitely a keeper.

Warhead type - CBN? Terry McInnes posted to the TML a COAAC outake covering CBN for COAAC. I'll PM it to you.

AFA TAC Missile rules, we should use the ones in Striker to form the base.

Here is what Roger Dean had to say on the subject back in '91

I gotta dig through the TML to find the follow on posts he made. I read them, but for some unkown reason, I either forgot to add it to this, or something.

STRIKER TO MEGATRAVELLER

<SNIP>... sections of the original Traveller miniatures rule set Striker were lifted and incorporated wholesale into MegaTraveller. Unfortunately, as we also all know, the MegaTraveller rules were not very well proofread, and we are left with a number of omissions and systematic errors resulting from the transfer, both small and large. Probably the single most important, from a military technology sense, was the total loss of tactical missile rules, a subject that I intend to cover in a conversion article in the near future (while I'm still in the mood). However, for the benefit of the morbidly curious, I have covered a few of the missing bits below.

Before I get to that, however, I have a question: Why? What good did it do to put all of that stuff in MegaTraveller? As a wargamer, I liked the Striker concept: a set of integrated rules and design systems to allow simulation of military action across the range of Imperial technologies. As a role-player, much of the material included in MT is superfluous: The mercenary campaign is nowhere near as appealing to me as the merchant campaign, and the way to deal with tanks is the same as the way to deal with 50,000 ton cruisers--don't get involved. I don't have many players that are seriously interested in the differences between a TL5 and a TL7 16cm howitzer. Also, as far as I can tell, the only good thing about the TL17+ equipment in the book is that you can point to it when a player says Why can't I to show him what tech level would be required to do what he wants. Enough philosophy. The material is there--let's deal with it.

Had to split to fit.

POINT DEFENSE

One of the Striker artifacts left in the MT rules is the Point Defense targeting system.

Basically, a point defense weapon could do one of three things: Shoot at targets (like anything else), shoot at direct fire weapons like missiles, as long as they were visible for long enough to track (the PD weapon had to be able to see the last 150m of the trajectory, and you could support other vehicles as well as your own), and shoot at incoming indirect fire. A tech 9 PD system gets 4 dice against indirect fire, plus two dice for each tech level higher, so that TL10 gets 6, TL11 gets 8 and so on. These dice are modified by individual DMs of plus or minus the difference in tech levels. Zero is the minimum. Thus, if your TL14 artillery fired at my TL9 PD system, I'd roll 4 dice (at -5 each, meaning that only 6s would knock down a projectile.) If my TL9 artillery fired back, your TL14 PD system would roll 14 dice (+5 each) for an average of 119 projectiles destroyed. Multiple rocket launchers, which shoot everything at once, have an advantage against PD systems due to overload--divide the hits by two. So, in the example given above, you would knock down an average of 60 rockets, rather than 119.

Nothing to it...but they didn't bother putting it in MT, even though they left in the PD fire control systems.

My additional recommendation would be to allow weapons with PD fire control to fire at moving targets with no movement penalty, since they are designed to destroy fast moving targets. I'd also limit the number of indirect fire rounds that can be destroyed to the rate of fire of the weapon, which puts a premium on things like rapid pulse plasma guns. A third recommendation would be to not permit anti-indirect fire with a PD projectile gun. You still might want PD fire control for a projectile weapon because of recommendation one, however.

ROCKET LAUNCHERS

Left out of MT were the Striker rocket rules.

Design Sequence 4: Multiple Rocket Launchers

Multiple rocket launchers (MRLs) are available at tech level 6+; they are constructed using the CPR gun design system, using the same characteristics as mortars with the following exceptions.

A. Launcher: A single launcher consists of a number of launch tubes, plus fire control and carriage.
1. Crew: A launcher's crew is the normal crew for that size weapon, times the number of tubes in the launcher, divided by 10 (but never less than 2). All crew except the gunner are required only for reloading; if the weapon is to be used only once, the rest of the crew may be dispensed with.
2. Weight: Each tube has a weight multiple of 0.01.
3. Volume: The volume of a tube is its weight times 25.
4. Price: Each tube has a price multiplier of 0.5 <0.05???>
5. Indirect Fire Range: There are three types of rockets: short range, medium range and long range. Their ranges are determined on the CPR gun tale, using the mortar, howitzer, and gun columns, respectively. The tech level of the rocket or the fire control modifies range, whichever is lower. At tech level 6, count up two rows. At tech level 7, count up one row.
Count down one row for each tech level over 8.
6. The rate of fire of a launcher is equal to the number of tubes.

B. Ammunition: Rockets are designed in the same way as CPR rounds. They are identical to mortar rounds with the following exceptions.
1. Weight: Rockets weight twice as much as listed.
2. Volume: A rocket's volume is equal to its weight in kg. divided by 500. <in kg>
3. Short range rockets have a base price multiplier of 4, medium range rockets have a multiplier of 8, long-range rockets have a multiplier of 12.
4. The RAP option is not available for rockets.

C. Remote MRLs: Properly equipped launchers may be fired from a distance by communicator signal. Both the gunner and the launcher must possess communication equipment and must be in communication. In addition, the launcher must include control equipment, which costs Cr1,000 and weighs 15kg; the gunner must also have control equipment, which costs Cr1,000 and weighs 1kg. A single gunner may control any number of launchers, but may fire only one mission at a time. Only one fire control system is necessary per gunner.

OK. Those are the actual rules as laid out in Striker. To convert to MegaTraveller, I'm going to key all the price and weight multiplier to the Mortar table.

Weight: Each tube weighs 1/25 (.04) times the weight of a mortar of the same diameter.

Cost: Each tube costs .5 times the price of a mortar of the same size.

Range: Ignore the range shifts. The original table had four times as many entries, so it only has an effect if you have a TL12+ system (in which case you would shift down 1, so that a 12cm short range rocket would have a range of 8km rather than 7km).

Cost of Ammunition: Any reasonable warhead should be available, and the cost would be 4/3 the mortar cost for short range, 8/3 for medium range and 4 times for long range.

DISPOSABLE ROCKET LAUNCHERS, GRENADE LAUNCHERS, AND OTHER INFANTRY HEAVY WEAPONS

Combat factors for all of these weapons are given in Book 1, but costs and weights are nowhere to be found. I could type up the list from Striker and post it, if anyone is interested. I think it would be much more likely that a character might have access to a rocket launcher than to a 16cm howitzer, so if one set of data was to be left out, I'd rather see it be the howitzer set. Better to include both, of course, but I mentioned the proofreading before...

ARTILLERY SET-UP TIME

Set-up times for artillery in MegaTraveller would agree closely with Striker if they were in thirty second combat turns instead of seconds.

MASS DRIVER GUNS

There is a major error in the translation of mass driver guns from Striker into MegaTraveller. The same calculations are used to figure rate of fire, but in Striker, it's rate of fire *per second*, and in MT, it's ROF *per minute*. I think the former is correct, and a multiplier factor of 60 should be noted in the margin of the book. There is one design in 101 Vehicles using an MD gun.
To be consistent, its ROF should be multiplied by 60.

SMOKE AND ANTI-LASER AEROSOLS

In Striker, dense smoke and anti-laser aerosols degraded laser performance for laser of TL8-12. TL13+ X-Ray lasers ignore these rules. A unit/vehicle in dense smoke or aerosol cloud may not be communicated with by laser, may not be targeted by a laser designator, and gain an armor factor versus laser weapons as follows:

Dense Smoke 25 vs TL7-8, 20 vs TL9-12
Anti-Laser Aerosol 50 vs TL7-8, 45 vs TL9-12
Prismatic Aerosol 80 vs TL7-12

It's not clear in the original how this was supposed to work in combination with a vehicles armor. Armor factors are not strictly additive. The annoyingly technical solution would be to find the weight multipliers for the two armor values (say 20 for the tank +25 for the smoke, 5.95 and 9.17 respectively), add them together (15.12) and find the armor value corresponding to that, rounding excess down (30, in this case). The quick and dirty solution would be to use the higher of the two.

A canister provides 4 turns (2 minutes in Striker) of coverage to a stationary object, and 1 turn to a moving object. Those laser sensors that are not described in the vehicle design system can automatically trigger a canister if a beam is sensed. Laser sensors detected a beam on an 8+ (2d6) at TL8, 7+ at TL9, and so forth down to 2+ and TL14+.

Since these canisters are small and cheap, and pretty effective against TL12-lasers, it should be noted that my military vehicle designs at those tech levels which rely on laser armament alone are probably less effective than I had considered when I did them.

RADAR

While I generally like the composite Active EMS system in MT, for certain applications not requiring great robustness, or requiring low cost, it would be nice if radar continued to improve beyond TL9. In Striker, Radar tables for up to TL13 are included, and could be used directly in MT. Also, radars of intermediate ranges (other than 5*10^n) are included, and would occasionally be useful.

That's it for right now.

Rob Dean

Back